The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-19, 06:44 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

How do I edit flac files to fit all on 1 CD?

I have a couple of flac torrent's i've dowloaded and was wondering if I could trim some of the files like the audience cheering and stuff like that. What I want to do this for is so that I can fit all the info on 1 CD. Maybe there's a way to compress or shrink the files?? I'm a newb so any help will do, Bill
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-19, 08:00 AM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

Re: How do I edit flac files to fit all on 1 CD?

FLACs are already compressed and cannot be compressed any more. The only way you could do that (which I do not recommend since you're archiving these) would be to expand them to wav, clip out what you want and recompress them. You probably won't save that much space and the files will no longer be tradable, which defeats the purpose of archiving in the first place. Your new fingerprints will no longer verify with the original ones since you changed the files by removing stuff and reencoding.

CDs cost like a quarter each, and you can fill in the rest of the disc with more FLACs from another show if you want to maximize space. You just need to keep everything labeled so you know what's on every disc.
Old 2006-05-19, 08:17 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah I'll leave them alone definetly. I don't mind using up my CD's that's not the problem. I was just checking if it was possible to get it all on 1 CD because I hate taking my hands off the wheel when i'm driving to work to change CD's you know. Especially when i'm dead in the middle of jammin the show then gotta go to disc 2. But hey thanks for the info I appreciate it always, Bill
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-19, 12:20 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

You can play flacs in your car? Sweet.

If you're talking about audio I clip stuff out all the time to make it fit...
Old 2006-05-19, 05:45 PM
USAudiophile
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You can convert the FLAC to WAV and get minimal if any loss. I use Acoustica CD burner and you can burn a variety of formats including WAV. I've burned lots of CD doing this and they sound beautiful.
Old 2006-05-19, 06:50 PM
PyRo UK
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I know I'm gona get burned for saying this, but there are other format too... Lossy sound doesn't notice so much in a noisy environment like a car.
Just make sure you dont try trading them either.

Or of course, get an iPod or Zen and play the music from there?
Old 2006-05-19, 08:28 PM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth79
You can play flacs in your car? Sweet.

If you're talking about audio I clip stuff out all the time to make it fit...
Well how do you clip the stuff????? cause there is alot of stuff on the files that I can trim like a bunch of audience noise. So please send a little info. Thanks, Bill
Old 2006-05-19, 09:08 PM
Happy little trees
TTD VIP
659.93 GB/7.41 TB/11.50

I have a Mac and use a free program called Audacity. I'm sure you can find a free one for PCs as well using Google or something.

You can just highlight what you want to cut out and voila. Then save the new file as wav.
Old 2006-05-19, 09:32 PM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmyth79
I have a Mac and use a free program called Audacity. I'm sure you can find a free one for PCs as well using Google or something.

You can just highlight what you want to cut out and voila. Then save the new file as wav.
Thanks!
Old 2006-05-20, 05:46 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

After you convert to WAV you can edit the audience sounds or whatever out with CD Wave, it's free and easy to trim the files down to squeeze onto a cd. I have done that on a number of occasions if all of the files are just over 80 minutes and I want to fit on a single cd.
That's just for personal playback of course, you don't want to ever trim them and then convert back to FLAC and upload as a torrent.
Old 2006-05-20, 06:34 PM
Sausage King of Chicago
37.74 GB/96.71 GB/2.56

Goldwave can edit in .flac or .wav or .mp3 format.

It's not free, but it's worth the cost.

Please don't trade edited shows. Okay?

Lots of shows have been ruined over the years because some person didn't think that by removing some extra cheering here and there he was doing anything that bad. Leave shows as you found them.

In the future, I'll be uploading a show I received that had bad cue points and that also needed slight punching up. I will offer both versions in the same torrent in case someone wants the original shitty version.
Old 2006-05-20, 07:24 PM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM
Goldwave can edit in .flac or .wav or .mp3 format.

It's not free, but it's worth the cost.

Please don't trade edited shows. Okay?

Lots of shows have been ruined over the years because some person didn't think that by removing some extra cheering here and there he was doing anything that bad. Leave shows as you found them.

In the future, I'll be uploading a show I received that had bad cue points and that also needed slight punching up. I will offer both versions in the same torrent in case someone wants the original shitty version.
Hey I actually like hearing all the audience noise and all but for the drive to work I would just like to have it all on 1 CD. Much easier. And I'll never mess with files then upload no one has to worry about that. I haven't even learned how to do that yet. Thanks for all the info everyone very, very, very, Helpful

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble