The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-05-20, 02:53 AM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

DVD audio question

I'm still pretty new at the burning to DVD for playback, so please excuse my ignorance. Here is my qustion, I have downloaded several videos of shows, like Phantom of the Opera and The Lion King and I can't seem to figure out how to burn them to DVD.

Well, actually I can't figure out how to get the audio to work. I have Roxio Creator 9 and can create a DVD and burn it, but the when I try to play it in my DVD player the audio doesn't work. If I play it on my computer the audio plays fine. The audio is MPEG 2-channel for the two I have tried to burn so far. Is this a common problem or is it my DVD player? Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated. I'd love to see these shows on my TV.

Thanks for any help,
Ron
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-05-20, 11:31 AM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

Re: DVD audio question

I would want to see a list of the files in the VIDEO_TS folder of the source material on your hard drive you are trying to burn... or what is the source, an .iso, an .avi, what?
Old 2010-05-20, 12:34 PM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewofboots View Post
I would want to see a list of the files in the VIDEO_TS folder of the source material on your hard drive you are trying to burn... or what is the source, an .iso, an .avi, what?
Thanks for the help here is the files lists for the two shows I have tried to convert:

Phantom Of The Opera 8-18-06
Video_TS folder:
Video_TS.BUP
Video_TS.IFO
Video_TS
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1
VTS_01_2
VTS_01_3
VTS_01_4
VTS_01_5

Link to origianl download:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=289912

Phantom Of The Opera Vegas
Video_TS folder:
Video_TS.BUP
Video_TS.IFO
Video_TS
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_1
VTS_01_2
VTS_01_3
VTS_01_4

Link to original download:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=283323
Old 2010-05-20, 01:09 PM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

If you point dvdshrink (or some other dvd authoring / ripping type software) to the folder on your hard drive that contains these folders, and open them, does it load OK and play with sound?

So when you burn are you sticking everything in the VIDEO_TS folder, and if so is there also a folder being created called AUDIO_TS? I've read that the presence of this folder is key for some legacy dvd players to play burned DVDs, specifically the audio...

If you can get your hands on Nero, I know it's DVD-Video project sets up the folders this way... but I think you can manually create these folders and stick all the .ifo, .bup and .vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder (with the AUDIO_TS there next to it but empty) and burn it and it should work.

-Slew
Old 2010-05-20, 01:23 PM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewofboots View Post
If you point dvdshrink (or some other dvd authoring / ripping type software) to the folder on your hard drive that contains these folders, and open them, does it load OK and play with sound?

So when you burn are you sticking everything in the VIDEO_TS folder, and if so is there also a folder being created called AUDIO_TS? I've read that the presence of this folder is key for some legacy dvd players to play burned DVDs, specifically the audio...

If you can get your hands on Nero, I know it's DVD-Video project sets up the folders this way... but I think you can manually create these folders and stick all the .ifo, .bup and .vob files in the VIDEO_TS folder (with the AUDIO_TS there next to it but empty) and burn it and it should work.

-Slew
Yes, when I open it in Roxio it does open and play, sound is fine. Sound is fine when I play back the created dvd on my computer, but not the dvd player.

It doesn't create an audio_ts folder, I'll try that. Thanks
Old 2010-05-20, 02:15 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronfromfresno View Post
I'm still pretty new at the burning to DVD for playback, so please excuse my ignorance. Here is my qustion, I have downloaded several videos of shows, like Phantom of the Opera and The Lion King and I can't seem to figure out how to burn them to DVD.

Well, actually I can't figure out how to get the audio to work. I have Roxio Creator 9 and can create a DVD and burn it, but the when I try to play it in my DVD player the audio doesn't work. If I play it on my computer the audio plays fine. The audio is MPEG 2-channel for the two I have tried to burn so far. Is this a common problem or is it my DVD player? Any help in figuring this out would be much appreciated. I'd love to see these shows on my TV.

Thanks for any help,
Ron
I'm not familiar with that Roxio program but the name implies that it is an authoring program and your downloaded files are already authored
Old 2010-05-20, 03:59 PM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

Yes, the DVD are authored, they have menus and all. And the program picks up the videos and menus and burns a playable DVD. But there is no sound when played on my Yamaha DVD player. I tried creating the AUDIO_TS folder but Roxio isn't recognizing it. Any other suggestion? I'm at a lost.
Old 2010-05-20, 04:24 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

are you using the Create a DVD with MyDVD function? If you are, it might work better to create a data disc or the Copy dvd option...

not familiar with this but looked at it online and here: http://www.aeromaniacs.com/public/CD...reator%209.pdf
Old 2010-05-20, 05:04 PM
267.31 GB/2.55 TB/9.76

Quote:
Yes, the DVD are authored, they have menus and all. And the program picks up the videos and menus and burns a playable DVD. But there is no sound when played on my Yamaha DVD player. I tried creating the AUDIO_TS folder but Roxio isn't recognizing it. Any other suggestion? I'm at a lost.
Like the poster above suggested, use Roxi to create a data dvd project, create the two folders I mentioned previously called AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS in the root of the data dvd, then copy a DVD's worth of those .ifo, vob, etc files into the VIDEO_TS folder. Then burn the data dvd project and you should be good.
Old 2010-05-20, 05:30 PM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

Thanks, I'll give a data disc a try. Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 2010-05-20, 06:06 PM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

OK, I think it must be my DVD player causing the issues. I have tried both the data DVD and copy DVD methods and have achieved the same results, video and no sound,but works fine on the computer.

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions.
Old 2010-05-21, 12:41 AM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

Quote:

Thanks for any help,
Ron
Have you tried burning a disc with AC3 or LPCM audio? If the only audio stream is mpeg-1 layer 2 it is not DVD-Video spec and this may be the reason your player can't play it.
Old 2010-05-21, 01:20 AM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaktime View Post
Have you tried burning a disc with AC3 or LPCM audio? If the only audio stream is mpeg-1 layer 2 it is not DVD-Video spec and this may be the reason your player can't play it.
The audio is mpeg-1 according to one of the torrents, how can I burn with AC3 or LPCM? Thanks for all of the help.
Old 2010-05-21, 02:14 AM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Quote:
The audio is mpeg-1 according to one of the torrents, how can I burn with AC3 or LPCM? Thanks for all of the help.
You'll have to convert the audio from mpeg-1 to AC3 or LPCM and then re-author the DVD. Something that you probably don't want to do...

If the burned discs play fine on your PC then I would recommend trying the discs in another DVD player. What DVD player are you currently using?

Also, have you been able to burn other DVDs to disc and get them to play on your DVD player?
Old 2010-05-21, 02:39 AM
213.69 GB/264.22 GB/1.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
You'll have to convert the audio from mpeg-1 to AC3 or LPCM and then re-author the DVD. Something that you probably don't want to do...

If the burned discs play fine on your PC then I would recommend trying the discs in another DVD player. What DVD player are you currently using?

Also, have you been able to burn other DVDs to disc and get them to play on your DVD player?
My dvd player is a Yamaha DVC6860 5 Disc DVD Changer. I can reauthor the DVDs if I have to, I have in the past with .avi videos and home movies that have played fine, but not with a downloaded show.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble