The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-01-17, 01:15 PM
1.18 TB/5.31 TB/4.49

Port forwarding problems

Dime is telling me I'm firewalled, which makes no sense because I made an exception in my Windows XP firewall for that program. Plus, Traders Den is not telling me I'm firewalled. But the mods claim I am, and since there does not seem to be forums there, I'm asking this here. Here is the message I got from the Dime mods:

To get rid of the firewalled problem you have to
allow incoming connections for the ports your client uses and if you
have a router, you'll need to forward the same ports in your router as
well. It's more advisable to set your client to use a certain port range
(for example 45310-45319) and then allow incoming connections for this
certain port range in your firewall and forward the same ports in your
router.

I can't find anything in utorrent that allows me to "set my client to use a certain port range". I can randomize it, and that's it. But here at the FAQ, it tells me to go to portforward.com.

I barely understand what a port or an IP address is, but I'm trying to follow the instructions at portforward.com. All went well until I got to the part where it told me to type in my router's IP address into my browser. I'd already gone into the start--> run ipconfig/all and written down the info, including IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and name servers. Then it told me to set up a static IP address, which seemed to go OK.

Then about halfway down this page http://www.portforward.com/english/r...0/Utorrent.htm ...it tells me to Enter the ip address of your router in the address bar of your browser.

I assume the "IP address of my router" is simply the IP address I wrote down from the black screen when I typed 'ipconfig/all'. So I typed it into the browser and hit enter, but it timed out and I got an error message. Everything seems to have hit a brick wall at this point. Can someone help?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-01-17, 02:01 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Re: Port forwarding problems

it means your router's address, so you can get to it's configuration screen
many of them are 192.168.1.1, unless your manufacturer is different or the address was changed after install

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2010-01-17, 04:20 PM
1.18 TB/5.31 TB/4.49

How do I find out what the router's address is? Is my router's address the same as my IP address? If so, it's weird that they're using two different phrases to describe the same thing.

At any rate, when I type it in and hit enter, I get nothing except a "connection timed out" error.
Old 2010-01-17, 04:32 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

your IP is different from your router's
try looking for your network connection properties, what does it say for "Default Gateway"?

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.
Old 2010-01-17, 04:54 PM
1.18 TB/5.31 TB/4.49

default gateway is 192.168.0.1

I tried googling up the name of my router, and found the ip address for it and made almost to the end of the portforward instructions here

http://www.portforward.com/english/r...0/Utorrent.htm

At the very bottom of the page it says

Use the Lan Device box to choose a computer to forward ports to. This box contains a list of computer names that are visible on your network. Select the applications you just created in the Available Rules list, then click the Add >> button to move them to the Applied Rules box. When you are finished, click the Apply button.

I have no idea what any of this means. The Lan device (whatever that is) has a default listing which seems to match something I saw earlier about my PC. So I selected that. But I don't know what it means to "choose a computer to forward ports to." And I don't know what it means to "Select the applications you just created in the Available Rules list" because I didn't create any applications that I know of. And I can't find anything about utorrent to add to the list.

At any rate, I downloaded the portchecker tool and it says my port (the one utorrent is using) is not forwarded.
Old 2010-01-17, 05:30 PM
1.18 TB/5.31 TB/4.49

For what it's worth, I also disabled my Windows XP firewall and made sure the router's firewall was turned off, but the port still shows as not open.
Old 2010-01-17, 08:00 PM
1.18 TB/5.31 TB/4.49

The portforward tutorial tells me to try 192.168.0.1 for my router IP adress. When I typed that in, I got a page that looks like it was right. But at no time did it ever ask me for a username (like admin) or a password. I was able to go right in and hit 'advanced setup'. I don't know if the lack of a login procedure is relevant or not.
Old 2010-01-18, 02:13 PM
1.18 TB/5.31 TB/4.49

I think I got it figured out.. The router tech support finally had me open the ports using both TCP and UDP protocols, and the port now shows open. On my modem's advanced setup page, I had to click on "user" under 'applications' and then create a rule using the desired port, and then enter that port number in all three fields. I had to do this using both TCP and UDP; previously I'd only done it with TCP.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble