The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2009-11-24, 03:49 PM
halmasonberg
90.42 GB/19.78 GB/0.22

How can I re-edit DVD media and put back on DVD without recompressing?

I recently acquired a dvd copy of both sets of the Grateful Dead at the Cap Theatre in Passaic, 11-24-78. The DVD has bad sound, but great vid. However, there were a few image dropouts and one or two spots where the vid was missing. Also, the disc was damaged and all subsequent copies carried over that damage and would not play in any DVD player. However, I was able to grab all the video using Cinematize at full quality. In Final Cut Pro, I brought in new audio (Charlie Miller) and fixed the video dropouts and missing footage (still montages). This is the first time I have seen the ENTIRE second set available in video format. This being a VERY large file now, I had to recompress the video and audio to fit back on a standard DVD (Bitvice). I built menus and burned 2 new DVDs (one for each set), built menus, put in chapters, etc. (the original DVD had neither of these). My question here is, since The Trader's Den doesn't allow re-compressed video, was there (is there) a way for me to have grabbed the video off the DVD, fix it as I have done, and put it back onto a DVD without recompressing? If there is, I'm happy to go back to the beginning and make a version of this show that is uploadable to this site. It's a tremendous show and I'm sure there are many who would like to have a copy and I'd love to share it. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Hal
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-11-24, 04:06 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Re: How can I re-edit DVD media and put back on DVD without recompressing?

not really..

though, you can rip the vobs from the DVD, demux them into audio and video, use a SPLICER (only) that doesn't reencode on the audio and video streams SEPARATELY, then align them (to sync) and remux to VOB without reencoding.

DVD Lab Pro (and a few other editing suites) will demux the streams for you and allow to line them up to for re-muxing. If the audio is uncompressed (Linear PCM @ 48kHz), you can just edit the WAV file and mux it back, no problem. If it is AC3, you'll need a tool that will SPLICE EDIT AC3 - not reencode it. This limits what you can do, obviously. Same for the video stream.

I have done this before to remove bad audio (just replace it with silence) or insert audio in a section of a PCM audio stream... but, if your plans involve anything other than simple splice editing, you can't really do it without reencoding.

A DVD is really a finished product. Trying to 'fix' one after it has been authored, is a limited-scope project.
Old 2009-11-24, 04:14 PM
halmasonberg
90.42 GB/19.78 GB/0.22

Bummer. Sounds like creating a montage to cover the areas of damage and using better sound is not an option here. Unless someone else knows a way. Too bad. It's a pretty great show and the "fixes" I've made really do enhance the experience. Not to mention the original DVD is damaged and that damage carries over to all other burned DVD copies and has a hard time playing in most DVD players. When I have the capabilities of burning a Hi-Def lossless copy, I will. Until then...
Old 2009-11-24, 04:33 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

you could conceivably rip it and reauthor with an extra title or soemthing like that.
Old 2009-11-26, 04:44 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=77903

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Tags
dvd capture, video