The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-09-16, 08:23 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Is there an alternative to playable data DVDs?

Hi,

i've recnetly downloaded two shows in DVD format. Both of them come with checksum files and artwork. I found some threads in this forum discussing how to make "playable data DVDs" that contain the main movie as well as the extra files contained in the EXTRA_TS folder.
So, i gave this method a try and burned one of this shows to a playable data DVD. I followed the instructions delivered by AAR.Oner in one of these threads and the disk was created successfully. However, my DVD player refused to play it and showed me a "CANNOT PLAY" message in its display. My player is a Sony DVP-NS575P.
I'm writing this to ask you if there is another method i can use to burn DVD disks which hold all the info i download in a torrent, not just the movie, and make it playable on my DVD player. I'm searching on the net to find info on this but, up to now, all i could find is that these kind of disks sometimes play on standalone DVD players and sometimes not, depending if the player is ready for them. I guess i'm not going to be able to play these kind of DVDs on my player, but hey...there's no harm in asking, right?

Peace and thanks,

Roblov.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-09-16, 08:38 PM
93.01 GB/90.94 GB/0.98

Re: Is there an alternative to playable data DVDs?

Are they + or - R's? Can your player work with both mediums? Is it in PAL or NTSC? PAL could be the problem. Did you create an empty AUDIO_TS folder too? Some players require this and I think if you create the EXTRAS_TS you will have to create an AUDIO_TS also. After you create these drop them one by one into the program. Don't just drag a folder with all three inside of it. Your player won't see the info inside. Hope this helps. I've never had a problem this way.
Old 2007-09-16, 09:08 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_rock
Are they + or - R's? Can your player work with both mediums? Is it in PAL or NTSC? PAL could be the problem. Did you create an empty AUDIO_TS folder too? Some players require this and I think if you create the EXTRAS_TS you will have to create an AUDIO_TS also. After you create these drop them one by one into the program. Don't just drag a folder with all three inside of it. Your player won't see the info inside. Hope this helps. I've never had a problem this way.
This time i've used a printable BenQ 8X DVD-R. In the following thread,

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=39831

it says the video format is NTSC. I don't know what the video format has to do with this but that's the format.

As to the layout of the DVD, i did it like this:

DG - "Home, home again" - D1 (name chosen for the DVD)
|
--->AUDIO_TS (empty folder)
--->VIDEO_TS (this is the folder i downloaded without changes)
--->EXTRAS_TS (here i put the checksum, text and artwork files)

I know i should have changed the path in the md5 files to point to the right place but that's not what's making this disk unplayable.

I hope this info helps,

peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-16, 11:17 PM
473.95 GB/532.25 GB/1.12

Maybe it's your DVD player... Have you tried playing your disc on another brand/model? What software are you using to burn the discs?
Old 2007-09-17, 03:24 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

You have to burn in DVD-Video mode because Sony players don't accept DVD discs burnt in data mode (period).

ONES doesn't allow to burn additional files in Video mode but Nero does.
Old 2007-09-17, 06:19 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel
You have to burn in DVD-Video mode because Sony players don't accept DVD discs burnt in data mode (period).

Where did you find that information?
One other question: i have the Queen greatest video hits vol. 1. The second disc of this set has content to be viewed online with "EDVD". I can play this DVD with my Sony player. Does any of you know if it was recorded as a data or as a video DVD?

Peace,

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-17, 06:25 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:

but then the SA player might not read the disc due to the fact that there are unknown file formats instead of the accepted _TS folder structure [worth a try none the less]

ROBLOV -- the other option is to do what i do, burn a data copy for archiving [this includes all info/md5s, etc and is what i use to copy from for trading/seeding]...then burn a separate DVD-Video copy as my "watchable"

because honestly, if you want to keep the show for a long time &/or plan on trading/seeding the show, you dont want to damage the disc by watching it, scratching it up, etc
Old 2007-09-17, 06:57 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
but then the SA player might not read the disc due to the fact that there are unknown file formats instead of the accepted _TS folder structure [worth a try none the less]

ROBLOV -- the other option is to do what i do, burn a data copy for archiving [this includes all info/md5s, etc and is what i use to copy from for trading/seeding]...then burn a separate DVD-Video copy as my "watchable"

because honestly, if you want to keep the show for a long time &/or plan on trading/seeding the show, you dont want to damage the disc by watching it, scratching it up, etc
@AAR.oner: Up to now, i've always burned a video DVD of a given show with the purpose of watching it and a data DVD of the same show with the purpose of archiving (that's exactly what you do.) But, when i learned the possibility of making playable data DVDs i thought it was a nice solution to this "duplication problem" i had to go through every time i wanted to put a DVD torrent to disk. It seems i won't be able to make them play on my DVD player. Bad luck. Your advice about archiving is good and well, i'll have to stick to it by force anyway.

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-17, 08:09 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblov
Where did you find that information?
I have Sony NS999ES (modified), and a few friends with some other models. Sony strictly follows DVD specification hence the files must be allocated as for a DVD, not for 'whatever'.
Old 2007-09-17, 01:51 PM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
I have Sony NS999ES (modified), and a few friends with some other models. Sony strictly follows DVD specification hence the files must be allocated as for a DVD, not for 'whatever'.
But how can it play DVDs with content stricly designed for computers such as the one on Queen Greatest Video Hits Vol. 1 Disc 2?

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
Old 2007-09-18, 05:55 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblov
@AAR.oner: Up to now, i've always burned a video DVD of a given show with the purpose of watching it and a data DVD of the same show with the purpose of archiving (that's exactly what you do.) But, when i learned the possibility of making playable data DVDs i thought it was a nice solution to this "duplication problem" i had to go through every time i wanted to put a DVD torrent to disk. It seems i won't be able to make them play on my DVD player. Bad luck. Your advice about archiving is good and well, i'll have to stick to it by force anyway.

Peace & thanks,

Roblov.
another option is to get a different DVD player...i don't know if you are in the States or not, but any of the off-brand cheap players at Wal or K Mart will play just about any type of disc...considering it'll only set ya back $20 or so, its worth it imo
Old 2007-09-18, 06:48 AM
93.55 GB/101.24 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
another option is to get a different DVD player...i don't know if you are in the States or not, but any of the off-brand cheap players at Wal or K Mart will play just about any type of disc...considering it'll only set ya back $20 or so, its worth it imo
Well, i'm in Argentina and besides that, i can't spend money on that right now. But thanks anyway.

Peace,

Roblov.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble