The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?

Notices

Lossy or Lossless? Please use this forum to post spectral and frequency analysis posts about shows you have your doubts about.

Old 2005-07-12, 01:14 PM
35.58 GB/62.83 GB/1.77

Re: Confusing LP2 spectrum

It's like, how much more black could this be...?

Anyway, I've changed my resolution for any future spectrals. As for the dredg tape, I still don't know how it's happened. I don't think I've ever had response that high up before, even on SP tapes. My levels are always set far from hot so that has nothing to do with it. My only slight thought is that, on an alternate DPA source for the show, the highs are very prominent. Maybe they were in fact just so intense that something had to creep through.

Oh well, I should probably stop complaining that my tape sounds better than it ought to!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-12, 01:56 PM
meow.
87.81 GB/69.41 GB/0.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
I'm totally baffled how the dredg show has that nice response in the highs It would be fantastic if you could get that on all yer tapes.

some of the fuzz is noise, but that doesn't explain the transients. perhaps hotter levels can cause pleasant distortion in the highs (on a limb here...).
Well you never get something for nothing.

I'd guess it's some kind of transfer anomaly. Especially if you take in consideration how very very weak the frequency response in the treble range actually is.

Sure, it may look nice, but in the end it's barely above the inherent noise floor of a 16bit recording, so it's nothing significant (let alone anything you'd ever be able to hear, with all the noise in the lower frequency bands masking it - or anything your average lossy psychoacoustic encoder would consider to preserve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkismet
My levels are always set far from hot
actually the right channel on the sample you posted is pretty hot

very nice recording otherwise though, good job
Old 2005-07-12, 03:21 PM
35.58 GB/62.83 GB/1.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssamadhi97
actually the right channel on the sample you posted is pretty hot

very nice recording otherwise though, good job
Phrasing (and possibly interpretation) mistake on my part. My levels while recording are always far from hot, though yes, when transferring I get them up to where they should be.

Anyway, thanks to all for the input (especially for the compliments - I know my gear is shitty but it's nice to be reassured I'm not the only one who thinks my tapes can sound quite good). When a digital transfer gets done I shall post an update

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble > Lossy or Lossless?