The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-11-29, 06:08 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

24 Bit Audio Burning Question

I typically use DVD Audio file to burn isos then create the DVDA with nero. Last night i decided to, instead of just burning one show on a disc, combining a couple since there was plenty of disc space. The problem is evidently .iso's limited to 2GB then you have to do a .uhd(?) Not sure how to do that, anyone else experienced this and or know how to work around that? Thanks
Old 2007-11-29, 11:32 PM
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05

Re: 24 Bit Audio Burning Question

Most likely you're using a file system that only supports 2 GB files as I've created ISOs (on a Linux box partition formated with the ext3 file system) much larger than 2 GB. On that partition right now I've got ISO files of 3.3, 4.2 and 4.5 GB.

A 2 GB file size limit probably indicates a FAT16 file system, used by older versions of Windows (FAT32 supports 4 GB maximum file sizes while NTFS supports up to 16 EiB file sizes, an Exbibyte being a couple of orders of magnitude larger than a Terabyte). If you're running Windows 2000 or Windows XP (or probably Vista, for that matter) you should be able to convert the partition to use NTFS, I have no idea if that's destructive to the data on the drive or not having never done it.

Probably your best option is to back up the drive contents, reformat it using NTFS (or some other file system if you're running Linux) and then restoring the data to the drive. Or write your ISO files to a different drive that has a compatible file system.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-11-30, 12:06 AM
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

i am running xp pro, its not the computers file system that is the problem. Its actually Nero that comes up with "the file whatever is larger than 2GB and therefore cannot be stored in an iso file system. Please use the UDF file system to write such large file." I have isos bigger than 2 gb, its when i try to burn i have the problem
Old 2007-11-30, 07:58 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

The message from Nero is referring to the file system on the disc but you are making a .iso disc image which should have the file system already determined. Once DVD Audio creates the .iso image don't you just open the image file (*.iso) and burn, I need to try this soon with some of my recordings to understand what difference in sound quality will be.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2007-11-30, 08:24 AM
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05

How are you burning the ISO image? Under Nero 6 Burning ROM (latest version I have on a Windows machine) I select "burn image" from the "recorder" menu. It seems to work fine for me, I created a 2.1 GB ISO file and was able to start burning it that way with no problem.
Old 2007-11-30, 12:48 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DVD Decrypter or IMG Burn will burn .iso's fine, and they are free programs. I've also burned 3 and 4 GB .iso's with Nero with no problem. What version of Nero are you using?
Old 2007-12-02, 01:47 AM
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
DVD Decrypter or IMG Burn will burn .iso's fine, and they are free programs. I've also burned 3 and 4 GB .iso's with Nero with no problem. What version of Nero are you using?
i am using nero 7 ultra and burn using the "dvd-rom(iso)" function. It works fine normally, just with the over 2 gb it wont work unless i do UDF which i dont know how to do
Old 2007-12-02, 02:19 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I just double left click the .iso (it has its own file icon when you install Nero or DVD Decrypter) and Nero comes up, then I burn. Are you dragging the .iso into Nero burning ROM? That might be the problem, Nero might be rejecting it becuase it thinks the file system in the .iso is incompatible, instead of just burning whatever is in the .iso. If you install DVD Decrypter (nice program btw ) or IMG Burn, all you have to do is right click the .iso, then click 'burn with DVD Decrypter" or something.

I think the whole reason DVD-Audiofile creates an .iso for DVD-Audio is because so many burning programs can't burn DVD-Audio discs in the proper format that will be recognized by DVD-Audio players. Nero screws it up if you try to burn a UDF ISO in burning ROM from .AOB files, and the disc won't play in the player. ONES will burn .AOB files to a DVD-A disc and the disc will be recognized by the player just fine though. With an .iso file, the burning program just burns whatever files and file system that are specified in the image file (.iso), so no chance to screw things up.

Last edited by Tubular; 2007-12-02 at 02:26 AM.
Old 2007-12-02, 02:50 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You can also burn tons of CD quality 16/44.1 files on a DVD-A. Never burn an audio CD again! Well, maybe for the car. You can also make mixed DVD-As, with 24/96, 24/48 and 16/44.1 files on the same disc (as well as other resolutions). There can be up to 9 different groups on a DVD-A, and each one can use a different resolution of files.
Old 2007-12-02, 03:50 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrab66
i am using nero 7 ultra and burn using the "dvd-rom(iso)" function. It works fine normally, just with the over 2 gb it wont work unless i do UDF which i dont know how to do
From window New compilation select DVD-ROM (UDF) and then click on Open to open an image file.
Old 2007-12-02, 06:49 PM
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

just to follow up, the problem was because i was opening it in burning rom like tubular said, i tried it last night just going through "start smart" and it worked fine, thanks for the helpful replies....

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble