The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-05-04, 05:50 PM
We only have one song
799.33 MB/3.84 GB/4.92

Re: Dimeadozen Offline...

I noticed that my ratio has been fluctuating up and down (and up and down again) at Dime a bit today - despite that I'm only uploading one show at the moment. Ya all might want to keep track of that.
Old 2005-05-04, 09:22 PM
russ3523
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

If you want U2 boot, go to U2torrents.com. There's plenty there.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-03, 02:05 AM
694.39 GB/969.63 GB/1.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin66
Great!!!! That is really good news!
I only hope that this is the definite end of this crappy site that doesn't give shit about quality...
A little harsh. With around 100,000 users they've obviously brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people. Like so many others I got a truckload of great music off there that I'd never have otherwise had a chance of even hearing. I would hope that most people are into the music itself rather than the more arcane aspects of clandestine recording and tape trading.

Keeping the best possible quality is a laudable aim, but am I too cynical for thinking a large part of this hostility comes from your namesake on Easytree being shitcanned after getting abusive towards other users?
Old 2005-06-03, 02:28 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Why am I not surprised? A first post that bumps an old thread!? It can't be!

we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-06-03, 08:07 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I've had issues with DIME in the past, but lately damn have I been picking up a lot of cool shows from there.
Old 2005-06-03, 11:23 AM
250.15 GB/491.13 GB/1.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
I've had issues with DIME in the past, but lately damn have I been picking up a lot of cool shows from there.
Dime is the best site for live music. It doesn't take me long to find something I want from there.
Old 2005-06-03, 11:27 AM
I still haven't found...
20.74 GB/22.54 GB/1.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker
Dime is the best site for live music. It doesn't take me long to find something I want from there.
The absence of a few really major bands, all of which I like, is disappointing, but I agree, there is lots of great stuff there.
Old 2005-06-03, 12:28 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker
does for me if i use the search
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.
Old 2005-06-03, 12:32 PM
Cosmic American
1.52 GB/1.64 GB/1.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro
does for me if i use the search
Yeah, their 'search' is pretty lame.
Old 2005-06-03, 12:37 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

yeah, it searches for every word you put in sepperately, and you can't really do a genre search unless for whatever reason you trust the seeders on there...
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.
Old 2005-06-03, 12:54 PM
We only have one song
799.33 MB/3.84 GB/4.92

Quote:
Originally Posted by altCountryGuy
Yeah, their 'search' is pretty lame.
And for some artists it's difficult to categorize them. I've seen 3 or 4 different categories for Bob Dylan. And I've found the search works best if I use " " around what I'm looking for. That said, it's still kind of a crap shoot. I seem to remember that the search function at STG was basically a randomizer, so at least it's an improvement over that.

BTW, I love Dime.

Old 2005-06-03, 01:15 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

heh, that's almost the exact opposite of my ratio... when i first started i was about to go on a trip so i was just grabbing stuff, and then i had a shitty upload cap, and now when i try to work on it i can't because everyone has 3.6 or whatever ratios on the torrent already :-P

Old 2005-06-03, 09:51 PM
We all walk the Long Road....
75.63 GB/483.42 GB/6.39

excuses excuses, poor little mississippi dirt eater is unable to upload because everyone else has such good ratios......
Old 2005-06-03, 10:32 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

haha i've been working on my ratio down here planet bootleg bitch :-P

Old 2005-06-03, 10:36 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I did a little cosmetic work on my ratio... still not good, but I did upload over 600% on a Sex Pistols show recently...
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble