The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-04-26, 02:36 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Torrent file only checks up to 99.9%?

I was trying to help someone out with completing a download of one of my own torrents. When I downloaded the torrent file from the site and pointed it to the folder in question, it only checked up to 99.9%. Normally you would say a file like the text file or md5 file got changed. But that's not the case here, they check okay. The IFO and BUP files are the ones that don't check. But when I verify the md5 file of the VIDEO_TS folder with TLH all checksums do match (no errors). Anybody any idea?
Old 2011-04-26, 03:44 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Re: Torrent file only checks up to 99.9%?

I've had the same problem in the past when trying to help someone out. From a techy standpoint I can't answer this question.

What I have found is that once I've archived a group of files, and then gone back to them (to help out) they don't check to 100%. The only thing I can think off (other than a file being changed) is that the particular file not completely checking is corrupt either when downloaded (it may be that that file has not hashed correctly - just a guess) OR during the transfer something happened to corrupt the file in question.

Also; the checksum may have been created when the file was already corrupt.

Sorry for the "no answer" answer.
Old 2011-04-26, 07:15 AM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
Sorry for the "no answer" answer.
Thanks tonebloke for the 'no answer' answer (much better than no answer at all).
Old 2011-04-26, 09:23 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I can only think of one thing that could happen - if you have a file still open and created the md5 and torrent file while it was opened and then uploaded it, as long as you kept the file still open, I think you would get to 100% when seeding originally from your end. You close the torrent file, a few days go by, you probably close whatever file you left open originally also, then go back to seed and you won't reach 100%. I'm not sure that is what happened, but I think it is one way this could happen.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-04-26, 09:27 AM
73.33 GB/168.99 GB/2.30

Did you burn the contents of the video folders to a dvd and was the DVD a single or dual layer dvd? If you did and it was a dual layer some programs rewrite ifo and buf files after best determining where to put the layer break so as to not case a skip/pause in the video when burned to a dual layer disc as switches from one to another.
Old 2011-04-26, 01:29 PM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
I can only think of one thing that could happen - if you have a file still open and created the md5 and torrent file while it was opened and then uploaded it,... I'm not sure that is what happened, but I think it is one way this could happen.
Lynne, I don't think a changed text file or md5 is the problem here, like I said in my first post, these files get checked OK, it are the IFO and BUP files that are giving me problems. Also in time I made it a second nature to save and close all files before creating the torrent file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedwacker View Post
Did you burn the contents of the video folders to a dvd ...
Nope I didn't burn anything here, just copy/pasted the files to an external HD and checked the md5 file after copying.

That's what is baffling me here, that when I verify the md5 file all checksums of all the VIDEO_TS files do match. So you would think that the problem would lie in the torrent file somewhere. Any way I am not going to worry about it too much any more because the leech is gone. When I see that this torrent has an other seed I'll just download the IFO and BUP files from that seed again and see what happens then.

Thanks for the input people!
Old 2011-04-27, 12:39 AM
Get Up For The Down Stroke
412.15 GB/5.07 TB/12.58

When you do a check can you go and look to see what file isn't 100%. This happened to me over the years a couple of times and it was the info.txt in the EXTRAS_TS more than once... that is if I am reading this properly.
Old 2011-04-27, 05:09 AM
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Problem solved! I just downloaded the IFO's and BUP's again from another seeder and everything is checking 100% now. Thanks for the help.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble