The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-09-25, 06:50 PM
115.82 GB/65.22 GB/0.56

tmpgenc 3 without re-encode?

hi there, I just upgraded my TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.5 to the 3 version because of a few dvds 1.5 version won't take. Plus, on this 3 version there are chances to add audio tracks onto the menus and all that.

I took a PAL dvd which is about 1.30 hrs and I needed a 3 min clip. I cut the rest and I created a dvd without menu or any fancy stuff, just the clip.

With the 1.5 version it would normally took less than a minute to create that clip. It took nearly 20 min in this case.

The original dvd has a video bitrate of nearly 3 kbps and for some reason, I noticed the clip I made is now 5 kbps. Which makes me think there was definitely some re-authoring done.

Is there an option to avoid that in this particular version of the software? any suggestions to avoid re-encoding?

thanks
Old 2009-09-26, 03:47 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

Re: tmpgenc 3 without re-encode?

TMPGENC usually re-encodes only a few frames at the beginning and at the end of the movie. 20 minutes it's a long encoding time for a 3 minutes clip. It usually encodes the whole clip when it doesn't like the video stream.

You said that you changed from 1.5 to 3 because the old version didn't like some DVD. Is this movie one of those? Try another with another DVD, see if you have same problem.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-09-26, 12:16 PM
Banned
59.73 GB/17.70 GB/0.30

Re: tmpgenc 3 without re-encode?

try videoredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
I want to edit a dvd made on a SA so AC3 here, does this mean it will definitely re-encode and be lossy? It was transferred from VHS and has snippets of the commercials etc. that I wish to cut out.

I have both Vegas Pro 9 and TMPGenc 3 and am trying to figure out how to use them, if there are any good tutorials someone could link it might help me.
I recommend trying out VideoReDo. It will allow you to cut out ads, without re-encoding the video.

http://www.videoredo.com (You can download a fully functional 30-day trial version)
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble