The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-07, 12:31 PM
521.57 GB/1.44 TB/2.82

Re: How does this newb burn onto a dvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandolindan
I just DL the latest version of nero...and haven't had any luck ..I tried using their vcd program that says it converts the files and seems to work until the end when it doesnt has any one had any luck with this program? what if I was starting from scratch? what would i use once i have the show downloaded? What would i use to keep the quality of the show?
with nero you can just use 'nero express'..once it opens up, click on dvd video files and add all the files you downloaded to the video ts folder. it's pretty easy and maintains 100% quality, stay away from vcd's if at all possible, and definitely don't convert a dvd file structure to vcd
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-02-07, 02:13 PM
Mandolindan
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

using nero express I click on add and then i select the show and it says no compatible file found.. nero is asking for mp3 files ...but these aren't mp3's...when i use nero vision...it shows me the video..and i am able to create chapters ..it takes about 40 min.. (the length of the video) but once its finished it says error....
Old 2006-02-07, 02:32 PM
Mandolindan
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

using nero express I click on add and then i select the show and it says no compatible file found.. nero is asking for mp3 files ...but these aren't mp3's.are they? ..when i use Nero Vision...it shows me the video..and i am able to create chapters .and when i burn.it takes about 40 min.. (the length of the video) but once its finished it says error.and the cd i used is still blank...
Old 2006-02-07, 03:38 PM
181.32 GB/72.86 GB/0.40

So, what are you trying to do here, burn a DVD-Video (with .vob files) or burn a DVD with data files (FLAC/SHN)?
Old 2006-02-07, 04:02 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

do NOT use Nero Xpress...always use Nero Burning ROM [unless yer tryin to make a vcd, svcd, etc...but thats a waste of time if you can burn DVDs]

to burn a "watchable" copy [i.e. on yer home dvd player]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--select "DVD-Video" as yer project type
--drag *all* of the files in the show's Video_TS folder [.ifo, .bup, & .vob files] to the RED Video_TS folder in the project window.
--burn

to burn a "data disc" [which is what you'll want to use for archiving & trading]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--select "DVD-ROM [ISO/UDF]" as yer project type
--drag the entire show's folder to the project window [including the Video_TS folder, info text, the .md5 checksum, artwork, etc]
--burn
Old 2006-02-07, 04:22 PM
Mandolindan
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks for everyones help.. especially AAR.oner...for spelling it out for me...I'm going to go buy some dvd r's right now and I'm let y'all know how it comes out..thanks again...dan
Old 2006-02-07, 08:15 PM
Mandolindan
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

ok heres whats happenin...i'm using the nero burning ROM.. i put all the files in the red video folder..but when i click burn, there pops up an save image box, when i click ok it says not enough room to save image in my document, or desktop...wen i try to bypass (cancel) the image save, it says aborted by user and wont let me burn
Old 2006-02-07, 08:41 PM
Mandolindan
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

ok i discovered that i didnt have enough space on my harddrive to allow the image to be saved? what IS the image and why should i have to save it...futher...when i cleared up enough space to begin the burn..it said burn sucsessful...but wont play in my comp or my dvd player...(both new) my dvd player says it reads..dvd-rw..could it be that because i burned it on a dvd-r disc its not working? thanks for the help...
Old 2006-02-07, 09:08 PM
181.32 GB/72.86 GB/0.40

What type of DVD player do you have? Have you checked http://www.videohelp.com to look up your player and what disc formats it supports?
Old 2006-02-07, 09:13 PM
i have a fucking gun
436.18 GB/360.62 GB/0.83

you shouldnt have made an image. an image is just a copy of all the data which is or will be burnt to the disc. when you started nero burning rom, what did you select? not the default selected "iso" right?
Old 2006-02-07, 09:31 PM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i'm thinkin there are two possibilities for yer problem:

1) how large is the show yer tryin to burn? is it a DVD9 show [i.e. a dual layer disc-authored show]?

2) a DVD needs a certain amount of free harddrive space to burn properly...how full is yer harddrive?
Old 2006-02-07, 09:55 PM
Mandolindan
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

thanks again for your help y'all it cant be my dvd player..cuz i realized i have been watching dvd-r discs my buddy sent from N.H. same type of disc.. when selecting nero rom i selected the DVD -video choice like your instructions said .. the show I'm burning is 2.33 G (the herbie hancock and headhunters from London )but I'm using a toshiba laptop that has 40 G total space with only 4.85 gig available...because I've been storing up some shows cuz i knew I wanted to learn how to burn..I guess I'll try to free up some more space and try again...this 40 G notebook is a pain
Old 2006-02-08, 07:11 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

yup, its best to keep a bit more free space when burning DVDs...i'm guessing thats yer issue mandolindan
Old 2006-02-08, 01:58 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Re: Burning From Dvd To Dvd/ripping Program??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I would suggest making an md5 checksum of the VIDEO_TS contents on the DVD prior to copying it to your harddrive. Then, after you have copied it, you can run the md5 check on the copied VIDEO_TS folder and verify that everything copied over correctly.
Files are copied as data hence if there is an error the process will be stopped. Of course I don't have in mind any 'recovery' software, which in most cases is useless as it produces partial files only.
Old 2006-02-08, 02:03 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Re: Burning From Dvd To Dvd/ripping Program??????

I disagree, I have copied FLACs from a data cdr to a computer and had them fail testing. checksums aren't just for paranoids anymore

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble