The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-04-17, 05:54 AM
You're never too old to Rock
1.30 TB/1.06 TB/0.81

Acceptable VHS transfer?

I am interested in transfering many vhs masters to DVD to create torrents. I am curious if it is acceptable to do this with an Osprey 210 Enhanced Audio/Video Capture card or do I need to use a stand alone to preserve the integrity. I am really in the dark about many video requirements. Please Help
Blake S.
Old 2007-04-17, 06:33 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Acceptable VHS transfer?

from quickly looking over the specs, i'd say definitely use that card over a standalone recorde...it'll allow you to the capture without compression, and then set yer comp rates later when authoring to DVD, as opposed to a standalone which typically compresses at whatever rate its default was set to

one of the key elements in VHS>DVD transfer is the VHS player itself...a normal consumer VHS deck is not going to give you adequate results, look into getting access to a SVHS deck
Old 2007-04-17, 07:08 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
as opposed to a standalone which typically compresses at whatever rate its default was set to
Depends on your recorder....
some allow you to set what you want i.e every 5 minutes...But i agree that 80% are default SP,LP,EP etc

K_K
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-18, 11:21 AM
Cruddy Old Shirt collector :-)
3.28 GB/4.40 GB/1.34

Thats a nice card, I played around with various capture cards for ages around a year in fact but in the end for simple ease of use and transfer times taken due to the amount of material I have to do which is over 7000 hours of music I opted for Panasonic DVD recorders.
They have the FR Flexible record speed, which is like VBR on PC capture
So for example if I have a I have 72 minute concert, I could set the FR time to record for 72 or 73 min, though I tend to let it run for 3 minutes more for reasons you see in a moment.
Burn to disk at FR, finalise as normal on the Panasonic, place disc in your PC rip to hard drive with DVD decrypter, then author with Tmpgenc and burn off two copies with Nero one for viewing or copying and one I seal never to use incase the first one gets damaged.
I set the FR to run a few minutes over so that I have space on the disc for the computer made menu and thus I am not playing around with compression rates again on the PC.
It may not be the best way in the world for capture but its fast, on a day where I have little to do I could capture and author up to four full disks a day, though I got bored and have taken a break from transfers and trades for the moment.
People may knock the use of standalones which I can understand but a few weeks ago I had a call from from a person in the USA at one of the biggest record companies there is (no name dropping) I had already supplied them material in the past so know they are genuine, this time they wanted me to supply old unreleased footage for a second volume of a DVD release by a big rock band, they asked how I captured material from tape, I told them Panasonics only using XP or FR and high spec cables SVHS VCRS or top grade Sony Beta recorders, they said that for speed that's what they did though in times when it was not a rush job they used Macs which I would have guessed anyway.
The most annoying thing about material captured to standalones is the people who have no idea what they are doing and capture a show running for less than 60 minutes in SP 120 min mode or higher, if I could meet them I would slap them for being so dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingPudding
I am interested in transfering many vhs masters to DVD to create torrents. I am curious if it is acceptable to do this with an Osprey 210 Enhanced Audio/Video Capture card or do I need to use a stand alone to preserve the integrity. I am really in the dark about many video requirements. Please Help
Blake S.
Old 2007-04-19, 06:12 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsrare
The most annoying thing about material captured to standalones is the people who have no idea what they are doing and capture a show running for less than 60 minutes in SP 120 min mode or higher, if I could meet them I would slap them for being so dumb

Tell me about it.

There's nothing like getting a 30 minute show via trade.
It arrives...you flip the disc over & see what is burnt takes up 1/2 a millimeter

& 1/2 of that was the menu

K_K
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-04-19, 07:02 PM
You're never too old to Rock
1.30 TB/1.06 TB/0.81

Thanks for your input guys(or girls?). Looks like I should just stay with the Osprey Card and learn how to author a DVD. Is this difficult? What kind of program should I get or maybe I already have it>
1. DVD Decrypter &
2. Cdvd
are the programs I have. They are both shareware.
Old 2007-04-20, 01:35 AM
Cruddy Old Shirt collector :-)
3.28 GB/4.40 GB/1.34

Authoring DVDs is not that hard once you figure out the software, quite a few of the people I deal with use Tmpgenc DVD author with the Ac3 Audio plug in simply because its fast and pretty easy, its what I use.
I did try other much more expensive software that took ages but did more with the menus etc but in the end I opted for Tmpgenc.
But others will say their's is best or easier its down to who's advice do you trust I guess.
But more than software a decent PC is a must for DVD authoring a minimum of 1GB ram, a decent speed of hard drive, a video card with a lot of ram, mines is just a basic card but with 512meg DDR ram only cost £20 thats $40 it may not blister at gaming but for video work its fine.
Maintain the PC, I use Tracks Eraser Pro to keep the hard drive clear of junk files and defrag each hard drive one a week at least, this keeps the system running sweet.
Well thats just my advice if others disagree no problem but it works just fine for me.

Quote:
Thanks for your input guys(or girls?). Looks like I should just stay with the Osprey Card and learn how to author a DVD. Is this difficult? What kind of program should I get or maybe I already have it>
1. DVD Decrypter &
2. Cdvd
Old 2007-04-20, 06:43 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
1. DVD Decrypter &
2. Cdvd
you will need an "editing suite" which is typically comprised of an editing program, a compression program, and a DVD authoring program...looks like yer on a PC, so you have quite a few option re: software...most of the PC guys around here like the Sony Vegas + DVD Production Suite...i have used Adobe Premiere Pro suite and it is good as well...there's also Pinnacle and a few others that are well designed programs, but of all these offer pro-level features, and ya have to pay pro-level prces

for a cheap program [under $100], you should look at TMPGEnc as itsrare mentioned above...

[not to be argumentative, but i wouldn't use the ac3 audio plugin, since ac3 audio is highly compressed...stick with LPCM audio ]

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble