The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-19, 07:00 AM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

Re: DVD Authoring - Acceptable Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsss
Thanks for the info, looks like I will be better off encoding at somewhere around 4900 KB a second as the originals are avi's anyway.

DS
If the originals were uncompressed avis.... like what is captured from DV tapes, I wouldn't go below 6800 or so. I really don't like to go below 8000 actually. You should split it onto multiple discs if the length is an issue. I also don't like ac3. I prefer PCM audio. Don't listen to everyone saying you can't tell a difference, because you can. A HUGE difference. Do a test a see.
Old 2006-09-19, 09:17 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: DVD Authoring - Acceptable Methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltman
If the originals were uncompressed avis.... like what is captured from DV tapes, I wouldn't go below 6800 or so. I really don't like to go below 8000 actually. You should split it onto multiple discs if the length is an issue. I also don't like ac3. I prefer PCM audio. Don't listen to everyone saying you can't tell a difference, because you can. A HUGE difference. Do a test a see.
just wanted to second Salt on that one...my personal feelings are PCM-only for audio, and *nothing* less than 6Mbps [8Mbps is what i usually set at]

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble