The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-16, 11:12 AM
308.08 GB/290.35 GB/0.94

Firewalled- tried everything

I am getting horrible download speeds with almost no upload using Bellsouth DSL with a Westell modem. I was using bittornado, no router. I tried both the Windows firewall and Norton. I opened the ports in both at different times and even turned both off. When both are off, it still says I am firewalled. Is there anything I am missing? thanks
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-16, 11:21 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Re: Firewalled- tried everything

For one, were you running both firewalls at the same time? If so, DO NOT. Running more than one firewall can lead to conflicts. A lot of people say they do it with no problems, but from my experience with helping others, it usually leads to more problems. Besides, a good firewall, configured correctly is all that is needed. What little I know about XP's and Norton's firewalls, I'd opt for Norton, but I prefer Zone Alarm to both of those.

If you were only running one firewall at a time, are you sure you opened the port(s) for TCP traffic? Opening for UDP for Bitorrents is unnecessary, though it won't hurt your transfer rate. Check your BT client's setting to verify that the ports used match the ports forwarded in your firewall.

Are you using a proxy? That may be the reason you're getting the message that you're firewalled.

If you've checked all of the above and are still having problems, disable your firewall and try it. If it works, then you know where the problem lies. After disabling the firewall, reboot your computer to make sure it is disabled. Check the status of the firewall to verify that it is indeed disabled.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 2005-06-16, 11:22 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

edit...read Ted's post ^^^
Old 2005-06-16, 11:38 AM
308.08 GB/290.35 GB/0.94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
For one, were you running both firewalls at the same time? If so, DO NOT. Running more than one firewall can lead to conflicts. A lot of people say they do it with no problems, but from my experience with helping others, it usually leads to more problems. Besides, a good firewall, configured correctly is all that is needed. What little I know about XP's and Norton's firewalls, I'd opt for Norton, but I prefer Zone Alarm to both of those.

If you were only running one firewall at a time, are you sure you opened the port(s) for TCP traffic? Opening for UDP for Bitorrents is unnecessary, though it won't hurt your transfer rate. Check your BT client's setting to verify that the ports used match the ports forwarded in your firewall.

Are you using a proxy? That may be the reason you're getting the message that you're firewalled.

If you've checked all of the above and are still having problems, disable your firewall and try it. If it works, then you know where the problem lies. After disabling the firewall, reboot your computer to make sure it is disabled. Check the status of the firewall to verify that it is indeed disabled.

Let us know how it goes.
no, I was never running them both at the same time. I just shut off norton completely and restarted. It is still yellow and the speeds are 1.8 down, .2 up. there are a bunch of seeds. What is a proxy? thanks for your help
Old 2005-06-16, 11:51 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

If you don't know what a proxy is, you probably aren't using one unless you're accessing the internet from work or school - then you "might" be using one, via their network. If you're ubsing Internet Explorer, click on Tools/Internet Options.../Connections (tab)/LAN Settings (button). On the bottom section of that page under "Proxy server", make sure the first box is UNchecked.

Which port(s) are you using for BT?

If the port you're using checks out ok (there are some that you shouldn't use) and you're not using a proxy, I'll have to see if I can find out what your problem is, as I have no idea. Post the port(s) and I'll get back to you.
Old 2005-06-16, 12:00 PM
308.08 GB/290.35 GB/0.94

I had to come back to work, so I'll have to check on the proxy issue when I return. I know that Im using port 6881 currently, I checked before I left the house. Thanks again for your help.
Old 2005-06-16, 12:04 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Obviously that port os ok.

I'll wait to get your info on the proxy. In the mean time, maybe someone else will have some other suggestions.
Old 2005-06-16, 12:44 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, there are the other questions like.... have you ever done a speedtest and figured out what your download and upload rates are? Are you running only one torrent or several? Do you have 'unlimited' set for your upload rate or some other value? (I think bittornado has a setting like that for upload rates).

Old 2005-06-16, 01:01 PM
308.08 GB/290.35 GB/0.94

I did a speed test to test my connection it reported something like 660kbps. Originally I had unlimited upload set. I recentlytried to limit the upoload to about 15k and there was no difference. I am currently running one torrent.
Old 2005-06-16, 01:35 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

One thing I am finding more and more is that the latest ISP supplied modems are often routers too, and need to be configured as such. I had a quick look at this web page [http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6096] and it suggests to me that your modem might be a modem/router. This means you may need to forward ports via the modem. Specifically, what model number is your modem?
Old 2005-06-16, 05:39 PM
308.08 GB/290.35 GB/0.94

OK, Im back. I am not using a proxy. The modem I have is an external westell wirespeed model # A90-210030.
Old 2005-06-16, 05:57 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Here's a faq for opening ports on your router/modem: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7074
Old 2005-06-17, 06:56 AM
308.08 GB/290.35 GB/0.94

Thank you guys so much, I am now in the process of tinkering with the modem/router to try and increase my speeds. You guys rock!
Old 2005-06-20, 09:12 PM
1.63 TB/2.63 TB/1.61

if i can hijack this thread, i just installed a linksys router and my BT connection speeds have drop and i get either a red or yellow status light. i went through the torrent website but the info is out dated. i know what i need to do but my ignorance won't allow me. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2005-06-20, 10:52 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

I'm not sure if all Linksys routers are the same as far as accessing the settings, but open a browser and go to: http://192.168.1.1/ and then enter your name/password. If you haven't set one yet, enter admin/admin and you should get the settings page. If you don't, let me know what model router you have.

First thing, if you haven't already, is to change the default name/password to something else. Don't worry too much about forgetting the login because you can always reset the router to defaults again, but you don't want to do that if it's not necessary. On the older routers, the name was actually irrelevant. I'm not sure if it is now.

After that, go to the Forwarding page (it may be under the Advanced tab) and then enter the info. For port, use what ever port is set in yout BT client - usually 6881 unless you've changed it. Check the TCP protocol box. Go to your Start menu and look for the shortcut to "command prompt" and click it. In the window, enter "ipconfig" without quotes. Note your IP address. Now go to the router's settings and enter your IP there and check the "enable" box. That should be it.

There is a simpler and slightly more secure way of doing it using UPnP, but I haven't had the time to learn more about it, so I don't like to give instructions for it when helping out until I know more.

You didn't say if you're using a firewall program or not. If so, the same port/protocol will have to be opened in there also, but since your post seems to indicate everything was fine until you installed the router, it's probably safe to assume you don't need to worry about that.

That should be it. Post back if you have problems.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble