The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-10, 09:20 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Belkin Router problems galore

I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my cousin's router/computers, and I thought I'd also post this here to see if someone else knows already what's going on here.

The router is a Belkin router. They have DSL.

Here's the story I was given:

Once upon a time, all the computers got email. But then they got a new router. And then they had problems getting online. Then they fixed the problem through the main computer. But then none of the computers could get email. That's where they are now.

Does anyone know what the problem is? It would save a lot of Google drama...
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-10, 10:18 PM
250.15 GB/491.13 GB/1.96

Re: Belkin Router problems galore

your avatar might be freaking out people.
Old 2005-03-10, 10:45 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Who are they getting email from (the ISP they subscribe to)? (SBCYahoo has been having problems lately.)

Old 2005-03-10, 11:04 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Who are they getting email from (the ISP they subscribe to)? (SBCYahoo has been having problems lately.)
I think it's any email. One computer receives email no problem from anywhere and the other 4 don't.
we are not dead. we do not plan to die until august 24, 2098. our death will take place in the middle of a 96-minute guitar solo that we will perform wearing a robotic exoskeleton. it will be broadcast live from alpha colony via brainwave-cable, as part of vh1's telecast of the monsters of metaphoric science rock reunion tour.
Old 2005-03-10, 11:06 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker
Have to desensitize the public any way I can.
Old 2005-03-10, 11:08 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

I'm asking that question now. They'll be back soon...
Old 2005-03-10, 11:17 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

They have Verizon. And the email works on only the main computer. Not the 4 other computers.
Old 2005-03-10, 11:27 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

What do you mean by 'Main' computer? Perhaps they have DHCP enabled and the other computers have specific IPs (192.168.1.xxx for each computer).

I don't know what you mean by Main (where is this computer in the main scheme of things compared to the others), so I'm not sure how to answer.

Old 2005-03-10, 11:30 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

When I set up my router, I used one computer that I called the Main Computer. It's just the first one that was set up. The other 4 were connected after that and they didn't work with the router at first. Now they do and the first one hooked up is the only one that has working email (I'm assuming Outlook Express).
Old 2005-03-10, 11:36 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I think it is the DHCP then. Take a look at your router and see if it is enabled or disabled.

If it's enabled, then tell all the other computers you are using DHCP. If it is disabled, then make sure your computers know you are not using DHCP and assign them each a local IP addy.

Old 2005-03-10, 11:43 PM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Could you give a short step by step? I don't know how to explain it, and I'm not there. I have to tell them this through an IM. Sounds like it could work, though...
Old 2005-03-10, 11:56 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Unfortunately, I can't. I'm not using a Belkin and I'm not on a PC.

I tried looking on the belkin site, but there are so many routers that I don't feel like reading them all. DHCP is a tab on my Linksys. It's a pretty basic feature and I would imagine it is a tab for them too.

Old 2005-03-11, 01:20 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker
Well you know what they say... the guys who have to brag about it... same thing probably applies to guys who have to put it in their avatar.

Old 2005-03-11, 02:18 AM
FUCK YOU, TURKEY!
40.72 GB/27.73 GB/0.68

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Well you know what they say... the guys who have to brag about it... same thing probably applies to guys who have to put it in their avatar.
I just wanted to see what kind of reaction I'd get. At first it was positive...

This new one is better anyway. I might actually resize a live concert picture that looks good in a smaller size.
Old 2005-03-11, 07:23 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

I like the avatar.....

Anyhow, I really can't help with the router without some more information. All of the external computers are unable to connect to the internet at all, or just to email? Are they all using the same POP/SMTP email servers, or on different ones?
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble