The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-04-11, 09:21 AM
116.34 GB/238.34 GB/2.05

Need to re-establish Torrent sharing to seed

I had set up an account with Traders Den several years ago and sincerely appreciated all of the great music I was able to obtain and share with others. Since then, I kinda fell off the trading wagon (becoming a new parent will do that to you!), but recently received a request to seed a show I have in my files and have thus been re-inspired to get back on the wagon.

So, having a new laptop with none of the software or settings I had when I used to trade, and a very limited knowledge of the logistics of torrent sharing, I need some help. As I recall, I used BitTorrent as my client (if that's the right term) and had to set up some firewall ports (again, probably butchering the terminology) to allow files to be shared back and forth. So that's where I need to start. Then, once my laptop is re-established with the right software and settings, I need to figure out how to re-seed this show (I have the original flacs, text file and ffp file). The show is archived at the following thread: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ight=Troubador

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-04-14, 12:04 PM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Re: Need to re-establish Torrent sharing to seed

Hi Dave and welcome back! There is a nice technobabble section on this site (the section you posted this thread in) and here you may find a lot of answers to the questions you're having. Also there is a general faq section with a lot of info as well.
In short, yes you'll need a torrent client like BitTorrent to participate, the client used depends on the type of PC your have (windows/mac/linux) (again see faq). Forwarding ports (the firewall thingy) is expedient and highly recommended although not strictly necessary to be able to torrent. Here is some general information about being firewalled: Before posting about being firewalled... (and again the faq section might have the answer).

Re-seeding a show isn't that difficult either. I saw that the link you provided is a link to an inactive audio torrent, so that means you have to make a new torrent file and upload that to this site. Again see faq on this: Audio BitTorrent Seeding Guide
Old 2011-04-14, 12:06 PM
116.34 GB/238.34 GB/2.05

Update: got set up to seed unfirewalled, so now I need some help including the text file and ffp (both of which I have). Probably makes sense to start a new thread with a title appropriate to my current question. No need to respond to this thread, but thanks for viewing!
Old 2011-04-14, 12:07 PM
116.34 GB/238.34 GB/2.05

jabulon - thanks for the info. I'm going to review the Seeding Guide you recommended and go from there.

Thanks again!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble