The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2012-11-23, 07:13 AM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Question Sharing a torrent on 2 trackers?

I've got a recording that I'd like to share here and on dime, but I've never done that before so I don't know what to do. Can I just make two torrent files (using Trader's Little Helper) and have them point to the same file folder, or do I need to have a separate file folder for each?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2012-11-23, 09:39 AM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Re: Sharing a torrent on 2 trackers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDog View Post
I've got a recording that I'd like to share here and on dime, but I've never done that before so I don't know what to do. Can I just make two torrent files (using Trader's Little Helper) and have them point to the same file folder, or do I need to have a separate file folder for each?
While I wasn't the uploader, I have seeded two trackers from the same fileset.
If no one else answers, I'd give it a try......
Old 2012-11-23, 10:27 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Just make a different torrent file for each tracker. It can point to the same set of files, no problem, but you will need a different torrent file for each tracker.

Old 2012-11-23, 12:38 PM
197.33 GB/287.44 GB/1.46

Wink Re: Sharing a torrent on 2 trackers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Just make a different torrent file for each tracker. It can point to the same set of files, no problem, but you will need a different torrent file for each tracker.
Just to add,, depending on your bandwidth you may want to get a few seeds on the first torrent before you start another.
Old 2012-11-23, 03:35 PM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
Thank you. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if the two trackers would fight with each other or cancel each other out so I wanted to ask so I wouldn't do it wrong.

"depending on your bandwidth you may want to get a few seeds on the first torrent before you start another."

That's a good point. Thanks.
Old 2012-11-23, 04:21 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Thumbs up Re: Sharing a torrent on 2 trackers?

Yeah, as long as the files are identical to both sites there should be no problem to seed to two (or 3 or 4 or ???) trackers.

Now, downloading new files you don't have from two trackers at once doesn't really fly - that's where you might get screwed up with trackers fighting over which one's downloading what block of data.... Right? I've always wanted to try it out to see what happens. Anyone know?

I think I've got the same fileset seeded to something like 5 or 6 trackers a couple of times now. Depending on how you've made your torrent files to post (and then grab your personalized torrent for seeding) some sites torrents will allow your torrent program to simply add the tracker to your existing seed, but some make a fresh listing in your torrent client....

I've seen some torrents posted on different sites with slightly altered filesets, and THEY'VE had to have different folders with different torrents for each version of the files. Keep 'em the same and you're golden!
Old 2012-11-24, 06:14 AM
610.35 GB/661.45 GB/1.08

I`ve "added Tracker" when downloading a Fileset, from another tracker without problems
Old 2012-11-24, 10:12 PM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Well, I've got 'em started so we'll see how it goes. I started here and then went to dime, and when I clicked on the torrent file for there I got a message saying something about another tracker (I forgot what it said, and I just clicked ok), so I've only got one listing for the show in uTorrent. I thought that there would be two listings, but I'm sure that the software knows best.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=100932
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=429525
Old 2012-11-27, 01:03 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Well, on my uTorrent, I can click on the torrent listing, and click the TRACKERS tab underneath, and it says what trackers are being used for the selected torrent. If you have it all right you'll see a TTD tracker and a dime tracker listed for that torrent...

If anything is different in the torrent from one site to another, that's when a new line might have to appear in uTorrent. Even if the guy that makes the second torrent changes the comment in the torrent (there's an area to have the torrent author make a comment about the torrent when they first make it) that can alter it enough when it's reposted to have it show up as a different torrent with a new line (I think) otherwise it will ask something like "Do you want to add new tracker to existing torrent?" say yes and it'll run both trackers at once...
Old 2012-11-27, 06:46 AM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
Well, on my uTorrent, I can click on the torrent listing, and click the TRACKERS tab underneath, and it says what trackers are being used for the selected torrent.
Thanks! I never really looked at that tab, but it's a very useful one because it tells you how many seeders and downloaders there are. I just switched from BitTornado to uTorrent a few months ago and I still don't really know much about uTorrent, so it's nice to learn something new.
Old 2012-12-24, 03:03 PM
World-Class Slack-Ass
713.86 GB/0.98 TB/1.41

I tried to do this again and I think that I did everything the same, but this time there are two listings in uTorrent for the show. At the beginning it seemed like they were fighting with each other, but now neither of them are uploading. When I click on the "Trackers" tab in uTorrent it says that both here and dime are working, but it doesn't seem like it. Can a mod or an admin take a look?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...d.php?t=101358
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=433187

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble