The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-10-26, 04:21 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Is it a noticable difference (VHS Question)

from like a master vhs tape to a 1st gen vhs tape? I have a person sending me a vhs tape (his master copy) and I don't want to keep him waiting a long time for me to send it back to him (since I really want the tape on dvd) but since I don't have a dvd recorder on my tv and can't think of anyplace to rent one I thought I could do vhs to vhs so I could send his tape back and then just work on getting my stupid tv tuner card working and eventually put it on a dvd.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-10-26, 04:39 PM
6.24 GB/16.58 GB/2.66

Re: Is it a noticable difference (VHS Question)

I dont have much experience in this area but making a copy of the master is where you are going to introduce tape hiss and probably some degradation of the video. Would be noticeable, but not THAT noticeable. BUT, since you can get the master it'd be a shame to settle for a 1st gen copy transfer. Do you know anyone who could loan you equipment or let you use their stuff to do the transfer? Does the guy need the tape back quickly for some reason?
Old 2007-10-26, 04:41 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by comm4nd3r
I dont have much experience in this area but making a copy of the master is where you are going to introduce tape hiss and probably some degradation of the video. Would be noticeable, but not THAT noticeable. BUT, since you can get the master it'd be a shame to settle for a 1st gen copy transfer. Do you know anyone who could loan you equipment or let you use their stuff to do the transfer? Does the guy need the tape back quickly for some reason?
He never set a time limit just said he would need it back. I just would feel bad if I kept him waiting on it. I don't know anybody that could loan me equipment to do a transfer either. Would it be a lot better if I got one of those dvd recorders that plugs up to the dvd and did a vhs to dvd transfer?
Old 2007-10-26, 04:48 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Tech Stuff
VHS video tapes carry the same signal that an average home tv set can show (240 lines of video). The original VHS looks good on television but copies made from the VHS original degrade from generation to generation.
It is best to use one of the new digital formats for a master copy such as MiniDV or Digital8 which carry a signal of 525 lines, and at a higher bandwidth, so color and detail are improved.
http://www.iilabs.com/info-pop.php/vhs-info
try to transfer directly to digital if you can
Old 2007-10-26, 04:54 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh
http://www.iilabs.com/info-pop.php/vhs-info
try to transfer directly to digital if you can
would a standalone dvd recorder be considered digital?
Old 2007-10-26, 04:59 PM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive
would a standalone dvd recorder be considered digital?
yes

a much better solution than just a vhs>vhs2 copy
Old 2007-10-26, 06:16 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Don't encourage standalone transfers, they suck. You can't control the bit rates so you ensure you've left enough room for LPCM audio. The best thing you could do, is WAIT until you have the capture card issue resolved, then get him to send the tape.

VHS > VHS & Standalone transfers are NOT recommended or endorsed by any of the staff here!!
Old 2007-10-26, 06:23 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Is it really that big of a difference that the average person is going to be able to notice a difference? I'm never gonna be letting the video out.
Old 2007-10-26, 06:25 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

If you aren't going to let it out, it really doesn't matter, but why would you want a 1st gen when you have the master available?

Like I said, just tell the guy to wait until you get capture card straight and do it right. Why waste your time and energy doing it wrong or 1/2 assed, u know?
Old 2007-10-26, 07:10 PM
26.24 GB/99.83 GB/3.81

I've seen 1st gen copied that are barely discernible from the master, and some others that look like shit. It depends how well you copy it.

http://db.etree.org/salva%20veritate

Old 2007-10-27, 07:49 PM
296.79 GB/95.16 GB/0.32

Do you have a MiniDV camcorder that will accept an analog signal? Run from VCR into your camcorder with proper A/V cable and record to MiniDV. Then you have a clean digital copy of it that won't degrade. You can transfer that to your PC at your convenience and do whatever you please with it.
Old 2007-10-27, 08:19 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman1976
Do you have a MiniDV camcorder that will accept an analog signal? Run from VCR into your camcorder with proper A/V cable and record to MiniDV. Then you have a clean digital copy of it that won't degrade. You can transfer that to your PC at your convenience and do whatever you please with it.
No I don't have one, my buddy does but it doesn't have the slot for accepting an analog signal.
Old 2007-10-28, 05:58 AM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

does it make a difference in quality for a stand alone recorder if you have a dual layered dvd in there as opposed to a single layered one?
Old 2007-10-28, 06:56 AM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrocklive
does it make a difference in quality for a stand alone recorder if you have a dual layered dvd in there as opposed to a single layered one?
Video quality depends on the bitrate - the highest = the best, the bigger file. A standalone gives you a choice between LP, SP and XP mode. In the best XP mode video is recorded in 9000 kbps (constant bitrate, CBR). This bitrate is a insane nonsense if the source is a VHS because it has no such signal quality (a VCD resolution in fact) thus a standalone pumps only empty bites to a video file, making it bigger but not better. Such high bitrate is good if the source is HD video but not even for a standard quality TV signal which oscillates between 3000 - 8000 kbps (audio excluded).

It depends on the quality of a standalone recorder and how it set up SP mode but in most cases it will be quite enough for a VHS source. Video file should be recorded in variable bitrate, between 4500 - 7000 kbps. This may give you a bit over 90 minutes on a DVD disc.

If you want to get maximum from the VHS master, give it to somebody who can capture it through a dedicated digital card, i.e. Canopus (best). It not only has a control over a video bitrate but also allows to define audio format coding i.e. LPCM, which you never get with a standalone (lossy AC3 or MP2 only).
Old 2007-10-28, 12:26 PM
127.64 GB/122.58 GB/0.96

if I transfered the vhs to a MiniDV would that produce LPCM audio?

Also, if I used these ( http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142297120588 ) in LP mode (for the 120mins) would it make a difference in quality than if I did SP mode (which is 80mins). I just figured the LP mode would be best so I could fit it all onto one tape.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble