The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-01-18, 06:48 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

OK,..Who played the unfunny ha ha with my Den?

Debated on where to place this...Techno, the General forum, but thought maybe there was an announcement that I might've missed?
Woke up this morning and the den was working fine. Checked at lunch and got a site cannot be found...check at dinner, same thing (when I say I checked, I mean I used the Forums page I ALWAYS keep open in my browser and right clicked on each individual forums page to open a new window-kept getting cannot find)...finally just went ahead and clicked in my taskbar to open up a new virgin window...typed in the den address and success! However, using my old window (which is still open), to try to open the Den homepage I still get the below message....did something happen on the net/Den that moved it "slightly" since both are trying to get the same page address? Maybe a DNS change that my old window is trying to find? Just curious.
Started to have panic attacks that the place was taken down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error.JPG
( 62.8 KB, 165 views)

Old 2005-01-18, 08:04 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: OK,..Who played the unfunny ha ha with my Den?

Interesting. Yeah, we moved over to our own dedicated IP address last night. But, I never had any problems and I had my same window open.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-01-18, 10:25 PM
Shellac of North America
13.53 GB/12.07 GB/0.89

*ducks and hides*

...this is a result... of... dns propagation....
Old 2005-01-18, 11:20 PM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

clear out your cookies because that page only pops up when you have bad crap on you computer that can sometimes be cleaned out when you empty the cookies. A friend of mine got a virus that did that, it picked out the most visited sites and that came up for all of them, not matter what browser he used, let's say that after we got it fixed i showed him how to use adaware/pop-up blockers and it hasn't happened since

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Old 2005-01-19, 06:10 AM
I love them redheads!
70.51 GB/140.66 GB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowman
*ducks and hides*

...this is a result... of... dns propagation....

I saw this same type of comment somewhere else on here...is there some sort of old STG inside joke with it?

And, what the hell is DNS propagation anyway?
Old 2005-01-19, 09:21 AM
3.19 GB/5.43 GB/1.70

If you are still having problems, just visit the IP address directly for about 24 hours or so.

http://63.113.54.4/
Old 2005-01-19, 09:51 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMamba
I saw this same type of comment somewhere else on here...is there some sort of old STG inside joke with it?

And, what the hell is DNS propagation anyway?
Back in August, when STG was supposed to be down for just a couple days for a vBulletin upgrade, it just kept staying down longer and longer. When you take a vBulletin board down to the public, you have an option of putting a message up to people to update them on the status. At one point, Gray wrote that the DNS just needed to propagate and then everything would be back to normal. However, that message sat there for over a week, I believe (at least).

DNS propagation is what happens when your IP address changes. This new IP needs to then get brought to the attention of the Big Machines, the ones that have the tables that direct the traffic for everyone around the world. There are several of these Big Machines and the IP address change may get to one and then the other at a different time. And, different people may use different Big Machines to be directed to sites. So, that is why some people may be able to get to a site that has a new IP address before other people may be able to. Usually, this Propagation takes less than 72 hours. (Actually, from what I've seen, it usually takes less than 24 hours).

Now, getting back to STG, most people knew that DNS Propagation should take no more than 72 hours and yet that message continued to sit there with no update whatsoever. (And, if I recall further (I was off on vacation at the time and was only communicating with Gray via AIM), there never was a change in IP addresses so there never was any DNS propagation going on in the first place!)

Old 2005-01-20, 11:21 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

TTD is fine....in fact, it's better than it ever as been!
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-01-20, 11:37 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Oh Puleeze don't say that! That was the beginning of the end. (actually, probably the middle of the end, but...... )

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions