The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2019-12-06, 05:38 AM
684.63 GB/780.89 GB/1.14

Question audacity - syncing 2 different recordings of same show

Hi. I've seen posts where people have changed the speed of a recording by "cents" to match a different recording of the same show.. how is this worked out? Is it really just trial and error, or is there a foolproof way of doing it?

(for me, this is mainly for creating matrix versions of shows)

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2019-12-09, 11:40 PM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

Re: audacity - syncing 2 different recordings of same show

I do not suggest messing with the speed/time of digital recordings. What I would recommend is use a multi-track audio mixer (I think audacity can do that?)

Keep one recording as one long file, and split the other as needed. The drift of two digital recordings is minimal, so an average song of say 3-5 minutes should stay in sync. Make the splits during applause, or at times where there's very quick + sharp samples (eg. drum stick count ins, snare cracks, claps if they're taped from the same location, etc).

If you can figure out which source is slightly shorter, keep that as the control (one long file). Then choose key moments to make transitions. Split and delete tiny snippets of the second source (thousandths of a second) to re-sync as needed. If they are nice clean waveforms, you can do this by eye once you get the hang of it, but always listen back every time you make an edit. If you're trying to sync a soundboard with an audience source, there can be phasing issues with bleed from stage monitors and such. Not much you can do about that besides find a good middle ground.

Then once you check everything and it sounds perfect, come up with the right mix, export the new wave file. That's how I do it. I can always hear it when someone messes with the speed and it bothers me to hear that. But to each their own. I also use the same method when syncing video and audio.
Old 2019-12-10, 03:44 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
Then once you check everything and it sounds perfect, come up with the right mix, export the new wave file.
... but SAVE the project at each stage as an Audacity project file as you make your way through it .....

Optionally, save each project as a new version with each major edit so you have a number of restore points.
Old 2019-12-16, 12:27 PM
684.63 GB/780.89 GB/1.14

Thanks for the replies.
I have tried a version of your method Leif (though I will go and try exactly as you suggest).
During these instances i've noticed they can be quite a way off each other, even going song by song. This is my main frustration.
And then, even if you can manage to match speed, the pitch will still need adjusting after I suppose?
The 'Change Pitch/Speed/Tempo' effect have never given me satisfactory reults either..
I appreciate any further advice, but thanks again for these replies.
The struggle continues.
Old 2019-12-17, 01:31 AM
642.27 GB/2.72 TB/4.34

It requires a lot of coffee and weed to get it right! hahaha

Its been over a decade since I've used Audacity but yes, many pitch/speed tools are not great quality and leave nasty artifacts.

Is there a specific show you're wanting to do, or just wanting to learn it in general?
Old 2019-12-20, 03:51 AM
684.63 GB/780.89 GB/1.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeifH12345 View Post
It requires a lot of coffee and weed to get it right! hahaha

Its been over a decade since I've used Audacity but yes, many pitch/speed tools are not great quality and leave nasty artifacts.

Is there a specific show you're wanting to do, or just wanting to learn it in general?
You are correct, a LOT of coffee and weed

Just wanting to learn in general.

If i can get my techniques right, I feel potentially there's a lot of shows who's overall sound quality could be improved in this way.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
audacity