The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2011-01-24, 10:51 PM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

The discussion areas of TTD

At the very least an attempt should be made to update the rules and enforce them. The mods that have done time, or still doing time, there have done the best they could with what they had, and have done great considering all things. I think they should be given more to work with.

If you don't care one way or another about the lounge or discussion areas, then no need for you to waste your time and energy just shooting down any ideas or attempts to try and help the lounge mods or forum itself.

This thread is for the people that have an opinion on the general discussion areas of the site one way or the other.

My suggestions...

There needs to be more mods in the discussion areas. Not all the mods for the site popping in and modding it in different ways. There are people that are here that are great mods in the areas that they are mod in, but are not really that good (hard to put it so nicely) modding the lounge. I would go with 4 mods with 2 that whore it up in the days, and 2 that usually check in at night. The lounge should be hands off to other mods/admins. If an admin is online and something needs to be taken care of, then it needs to be taken care of, that's what admins do, but it should be done in the same way the other mods are doing things.

It should be BB101 that mods should not have across the board powers, that they are a team that is/was assembled to help keep things flowing well and usually chosen for their specific knowledge and interest within the site and that is where they should mod. The general discussion mods, will by nature/necessity need to be recycled somewhat regularly and some will probably rotate in and out quickly, depending on how well they do and work together. Or at least get DCbullet some help in there.

Possibly create a subforum give it any name that implies garbage. Move the threads and posts that are violating rules there. Leave them all there for the trolls to feed on and bitch and moan about. Eventually ban them to there if they won't stop trolling the lounge.

With aliases, just take 'em case by case. Some are funny as hell. Others post shit that should be removed and the person behind it should be warned via PM that a ban will come for trolling. Shouldn't matter who is behind the alias, if it keeps up eventually IP ban them. I know the ones that want back in get back in, will So if one of those asshats shows back up and just starts raising hell, just keep moving the shit. Too much work?? Yes. I think there are people here that would gladly take that on. If they don't work out then recycle them. But I know that trying to mod one persons fucked up trolling frenzy by yourself is a lot of work. Again more mods.

Remove the tags feature in the discussion areas of the site. They serve no purpose other than to troll a different way.

I do not see any changes I have proposed that wouldn't serve the site as a whole. The trolling and BS is not only happening in the lounge. It spills over. The comments about the way things are modded, are also valid and serve the site as a whole.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2011-01-25, 06:53 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: The discussion areas of TTD

i completely agree that the general discussion area of the board is important to the site, and has been "hurting" for some time...i think dcbullet has done a great job modding under the structure that was originally put in place, although that structure might need some tweaking at this point...i'm all for trying any reasonable ideas that might better the GD forums

i especially hope some non-pw's chime in who may have lurked the GD forums in the past, and would be interested in participating in them, if they weren't _______ [tell us the problems, possible solutions, etc]
Old 2011-01-25, 08:09 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

I think maybe Bill's vision for a BBS differs from what we do at TTD and that, maybe, he should start his own community and run how he sees fit (each week).

What makes TTD different is (1) the attempt to favor quality over quanity and (2) the attempt to be less heavy-handed than most other music trading sites.

The two often clash with each other, but I think we strike a good balance. We don't need more regulation and oversight.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:30 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Disagree james.

The GD forums were put there to try to get a sense of community going on the site. They have basically failed at that, year after year. We've got over 87k users here and it seems like less than 100 of them or so use the GD forums at all, and only a couple dozen of those 100 use them on any sort of regular basis. Trying something new would be preferable to me than more years of fail.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:39 AM
817.37 MB/2.86 GB/3.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys View Post
We've got over 87k users here and it seems like less than 100 of them or so use the GD forums at all..
Here are some real time user stats

Audio Torrents (29 Viewing)
Video Torrents (28 Viewing)
Snail Mail Trading (1 Viewing)
The Lounge (5 Viewing)
Old 2011-01-25, 08:46 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I think maybe Bill's vision for a BBS differs from what we do at TTD and that, maybe, he should start his own community and run how he sees fit (each week).

What makes TTD different is (1) the attempt to favor quality over quanity and (2) the attempt to be less heavy-handed than most other music trading sites.

The two often clash with each other, but I think we strike a good balance. We don't need more regulation and oversight.
i don't see "regulating" obvious trolls &/or trouble makers as a bad thing, or being heavy-handed...maybe his "vision for a BBS" is something we should consider, as opposed to taking the stagnant "it is what it is" line of thought

can't get much worse imo...just my random 2cents
Old 2011-01-25, 08:47 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMachine View Post
Here are some real time user stats

Audio Torrents (29 Viewing)
Video Torrents (28 Viewing)
Snail Mail Trading (1 Viewing)
The Lounge (5 Viewing)
we should just get rid of Snail Mail trading...what is this, 1974?!

Old 2011-01-25, 08:54 AM
Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer Cornelious Jerome Garcia Oppenheimer is offline
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
What makes TTD different is (1) the attempt to favor quality over quanity and
Agreed. The discussion areas should be the same.

Quote:
(2) the attempt to be less heavy-handed than most other music trading sites.
Not really. The thought when the site was created was to be more heavy handed with regards to seeds and music. The lounge was set up with a 'not very moderated' less heavy handed approach, and quite honestly I think that should change at this point and I was the person that fought for the lounge to not be heavy handed. I still don't think it should be.

I think at this point after seeing too many Active members leave because of the constant trolling and BS. And watching as a very small group of users just do and act however they see and create multiple alias accounts so they can stalk/troll anyone they want. Staff included.

Quote:
The two often clash with each other, but I think we strike a good balance.
TTD does strike a balance and not easily done. I do not understand why there would be any resistance to trying to clean it up.

Quote:
We don't need more regulation and oversight.
How about you just enforce the rules I posted in 04 when the site first went live. The original set still resides at the top of the music discussion. The lounge rules have been updated a time or 2.

Hardly ever enforced and when they are it is very selective on who gets the hammer. For the most part the rules are a joke and get violated daily.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:57 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Disagree james.

The GD forums were put there to try to get a sense of community going on the site. They have basically failed at that, year after year. We've got over 87k users here and it seems like less than 100 of them or so use the GD forums at all, and only a couple dozen of those 100 use them on any sort of regular basis. Trying something new would be preferable to me than more years of fail.

I like the ratio of torrent-users to lounger users.
This site is about music trading.

We have the Piano Bar for serious music discussion and it stays pretty clean in there.

But still no one uses it...

If it is already there, fairly closely modded, has little bullshit and still not being used, what should be done differently?

Heavy-hand the lounge and no longer allow any bullshit, anywhere? Easy enough... but usage will not increase.
Old 2011-01-25, 08:58 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

Quote:
Disagree james.

Old 2011-01-25, 09:00 AM
136.25 GB/177.94 GB/1.31

http://www.scribd.com/doc/21797466/C...Of-A-Moderator

Interesting read.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:09 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
I like the ratio of torrent-users to lounger users.
This site is about music trading.

We have the Piano Bar for serious music discussion and it stays pretty clean in there.

But still no one uses it...

If it is already there, fairly closely modded, has little bullshit and still not being used, what should be done differently?

Heavy-hand the lounge and no longer allow any bullshit, anywhere? Easy enough... but usage will not increase.
You're reading me saying lets try things a different way in the hopes that they will be better and hearing "heavy handed modding". This does not necessarily have to be the case.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:12 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_kate View Post

I'm nearly positive there is something in there to be found about not dragging shit into a public forum after your PMs fail to garner the result you pursue.

Refer to my post above, where we already have a dedicated, closely modded, topical (music) discussion forum call "The Piano Bar" that gets lighter use than the lounge.

This is a music trading site and I believe you'll find that the music-related sections of the site (torrents, trading, etc) are well modded and no bullshit is permitted, in most cases. The primary focus of this site is there and that is where the primary interest of the users lies.

I think you need to consider the possibility that the only people that give a shit about this blissful, lively general discussion forum you seek are already in it.
Old 2011-01-25, 09:17 AM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

James why are you so hostile to the idea of a more active general discussion area for the site?
Old 2011-01-25, 09:33 AM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Quote:
James why are you so hostile to the idea of a more active general discussion area for the site?

I'm not.

as I have pointed out (two posts, now) above, we already have a discussion area that is kept fairly bullshit-free and is only very lightly used.

What would be done differently with the lounge?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions