The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-05-06, 08:24 AM
zonecoach
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Newbie confused

I am new to this technology. I use Morpheus which shares files. I would like to download the files into my Itunes which I use with my IPOD. I was able to get an ELO file going but the rate was so slow that it was going to take 725 hours to download. Am I doing this correctly. When I use Morpheus, the rate is extremely fast for all the other songs that I download but I am downloading MP3 songs. Will these songs (in these forms) even play on my IPOD? Can anyone help me figure this out? Is there a better way to download the songs into my Itunes so they can be played on my IPOD?
Thanks!
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-06, 10:33 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Newbie confused

You will have to download the shows here (in shn, flac, or ape format) and then either convert them to wav and then mp3 or, I think, you may be able to use foobar2000 to convert straight from shn/flac/ape to mp3 for your iPod. These shows that you are downloading from this site are in lossless format. They will be several (5-8?) times larger than an mp3 file. If all you are wanting are mp3 files, you may be better off finding an mp3 site to download from.

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-06, 02:32 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Try using a dedicated BitTorrent client such as Azureus instead of Morpheus since you will be able to get more help from people here if you use a client we all know and use.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the IPOD can play AAC (i.e. mp4 aka m4a) files as well as mp3. If I were you and I wanted to listen to what I download on my IPOD I'd convert to AAC format and not mp3. You can use a lower bitrate with AAC resulting in smaller files. Overall it's a better lossy codec than mp3.
Old 2005-05-06, 05:44 PM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhclem
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding is that the IPOD can play AAC (i.e. mp4 aka m4a) files as well as mp3. If I were you and I wanted to listen to what I download on my IPOD I'd convert to AAC format and not mp3. You can use a lower bitrate with AAC resulting in smaller files. Overall it's a better lossy codec than mp3.
Correct. AAC is the way to go on the iPod.

Rob

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble