The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-08-26, 01:25 AM
164.16 GB/704.14 GB/4.29

Question User Statistics & Ratios

I am a newbie user trying to improve my statistics and share ratio. Presently my stats read that I've only uploaded 1.30 GB on the site. However, just in the last 24 hours I've uploaded 2.10+ GB to users from this site from the two torrents I have currently running on my uTorrent, version 1.7.2.

Why is it that I'm not getting 'credit' from this site according to the statistics of my uTorrent client software? (This is not a case where I doing torrents with multiple folks from multiple sites - I am presnetly using this site only).

Thanks to anyone who can explain better.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-08-26, 02:55 AM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: User Statistics & Ratios

I have heard that uTorrent 1.7 messes with your stats and also reports all your activity to the RIAA and MPAA. I would switch to uTorrent 1.6 or Bittornado 3.18 or Azureus.
Old 2007-08-26, 03:28 AM
15.75 GB/14.60 GB/0.93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey123
I am a newbie user trying to improve my statistics and share ratio. Presently my stats read that I've only uploaded 1.30 GB on the site. However, just in the last 24 hours I've uploaded 2.10+ GB to users from this site from the two torrents I have currently running on my uTorrent, version 1.7.2.

Why is it that I'm not getting 'credit' from this site according to the statistics of my uTorrent client software? (This is not a case where I doing torrents with multiple folks from multiple sites - I am presnetly using this site only).

Thanks to anyone who can explain better.

Make sure you have DHT disabled in uTorrent, otherwise your feeding unregistered leeches ;-)
Old 2007-08-26, 10:23 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, as mentioned, make sure DHT is disabled or you will be uploading to unregistered users and probably won't get credit for it.

I have also heard bad things about the new utorrent. It was purchased by bittorrent several months ago and since the latest version of bittorrent doesn't conform to the original bt protocol, I am guessing that the latest version of utorrent does not either, unfortunately. This can result in screwy stats. If you send an email to the Contact Us link letting us know what your stats should be, then we can change them for you.

Old 2007-08-26, 10:25 AM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

^what they said

turning off DHT will help to make sure that all that you've uploaded is reported to the tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubular
I have heard that uTorrent 1.7 messes with your stats and also reports all your activity to the RIAA and MPAA. I would switch to uTorrent 1.6 or Bittornado 3.18 or Azureus.
is there any news on that? last I heard it was chalked up to 'urban legend'

there's a thread over here
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ad.php?t=41790

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2007-08-26, 10:30 AM
Entangled.State.42
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I am using regular ol' BitTorrent. I'm not too worried about the MPAA or the RIAA trying to catch me trading and downloading shows that the artists have explicity said that we could do so. I am worried however about messing with the system itself. I will happily switch to another client if that is the case.
Old 2007-08-26, 02:11 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

There is some stuff about uTorrent that seems suspicious:

uTorrent developer Signs deal with Peerfactor (French anti-p2p company)
http://torrentfreak.com/%c2%b5torren...th-peerfactor/

BitTorrent Inc Buys uTorrent
http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-i...%c2%b5torrent/

uTorrent Relaunched as Official BitTorrent Client
http://torrentfreak.com/utorrent-rel...orrent-client/
"Here at TorrentFreak we looked into the suspicious behavior reported by some of our readers, but up until now we did not find any hard evidence to support these claims. With Wireshark we tried to replicate the findings reported by some users several times, both on virtual machines and in use systems, but we didn’t find anything suspicious.

But I’m sure this won’t comfort the really paranoid people among us."

I don't know, it just seems too good to be true: uTorrent is released and it is the best, most lightweight client ever, uses little CPU, etc. Then the developer signs a deal with Peerfactor, then is bought by BitTorrent Inc. which is used to sell movies. If they have a client which reports all your activity automatically, they don't have to download every torrent to collect IP addys, and on top of that, they can find out about trackers that they don't know exist (private, invitation only type trackers).

If everyone downloaded BTAT (bands that explicitly allow taping and trading, like Phish, Dead, Jerry, moe., Gov't Mule, Flecktones) stuff I wouldn't really object to someone keeping tabs, but artists like the Stones, Beatles, Zappa, Zeppelin, Dylan, Floyd don't allow it. I don't want the RIAA cataloging all my downloads from non-BTAT bands.
Old 2007-08-26, 08:10 PM
164.16 GB/704.14 GB/4.29

Wow!! That's really cool that so many of you took and interest to help me. Thank you!!!

I am now over 3.0+ GB uploaded (in the last 48 hrs.) and my Trader's Den tracker is saying I've only uploaded 1.38 GB since joining. I will send an email with some screen-shots as U2Lynne has suggested to get things right.

I also plan to switch to Bittornado or Azureus since I've used these previously. If uTorrent has issues then perhaps The Trader's Den should not list it as the 'RECOMMENDED' client software on its FAQ page.

I don't believe there should be any restrictions on traders as long as we're not doing it for profit. I downloaded a concert from the band Rush the other day that only heard part of, when it aired in 1980. I've been waiting almost 30 years to hear that show again. It's not in their catalog. I own everything the band has ever sold - CDs, albums, concert tixs, programs, T-shirts, etc. So it's not as if I've cheated them. The same with Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Stones, etc. The RIAA should be chasing down people illegally pirating copywritten material, not fan for fan stuff (my 2 cents).

Thanks again to everyone!!!
Old 2007-08-26, 11:28 PM
Tubular
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I haven't tried it yet, but there is an open source lightweight client called Halite:
http://halite.en.softonic.com/

uTorrent is closed source. Are there any other closed source BT clients? Maybe I'm being paranoid, but who knows what's in the code? Why would someone feel the need to make his BT program closed source? BT is about free trade. Or at least it used to be until they started using it to sell movies (which I think is a good thing, becaue BT is great for transferring large files)
Old 2007-08-27, 12:05 AM
sticky packer, icky stacker
528.55 GB/531.69 GB/1.01

I know for a fact that my ratio on this site is incorrect. I have DHT disabled and have followed all procedures. I have also had an online discussion with U2 Lynne concerning this. I'm on a Mac and using Azereus.
This is the ONLY site of many that I have this issue with. It's also one of the only sites that doesn't have a formal procedure to address tis issue.
Unfortunately, I've come not trust my ratio here. This leads to me being less concerned with my ratio here. At this point, If I'm choosing between torrents to seed, I'm more likely to jump off the Trader's Den torrent for another.
I know this is my personal experience and I appreciate all the great music being shared here. I just wish it was possible to resolve this issue. Until then, my ratio is what it is and I really don't feel I have control over it.
Old 2007-08-29, 09:02 AM
pundit
361.80 GB/735.05 GB/2.03

I have Azureus running on two different PCs/networks and I don't think I get "credit" for both; however, I feel it's in the right ballpark.
Old 2007-08-31, 05:55 PM
Die With Your Boots On
1.67 TB/227.41 GB/0.13

I had to get rid of all new versions of utorrent because all it ever showed was what I downloaded and nothing that I uploaded, on this site anyways!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble