The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-03-18, 09:09 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: TLH - problem with 'Browse for Folder' dialogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRC View Post
I installed TLH V 2.4.1 (Build 160) on my Vista machine recently, and I'm trying to convert some FLACs to mp3.

I leave the FLACs in their original folders, and create new folders where the mp3 are to go, and select the 'Convert Encoding Format' option.

I select the Browse for Folder button to the right of the target folder display box, and a dialog box opens up; navigate to a folder which already exists (I create the folders with Win Explorer first) and once the folder is selected, convert files.

The problem comes about when I want to convert a second set of FLACs and put the generated mp3s into a different folder - TLH won't let me de-select the first target folder; the dialog box opens to allow me to navigate the folder tree, but no matter how I click, double-click, click the small arrow, etc on the folder above the one I want to de-select, or at the folder levels above that, it stubbornly refuses to de-select it, leaving me with the choice of putting the mp3s into that folder and manually copying them later, or resarting TLH to clear out whatever needs to be cleared out.

I also have version 2.3.1 (build 156) on my other, XP, machine, and that seems to work fine.

If this explanation is unclear, I'll add screenshots.

Any suggestions, anyone?
I'm using WinXP, and on my side build 160 works fine when converting flac to mp3. Are there other _Vista_ users having this problem?
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-03-26, 11:10 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Ah, well - nobody else seems to be having the same problem (Sigh)
Old 2009-03-26, 02:15 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Just a thought, do you have (Vista) SP1 installed?
Old 2009-03-27, 04:20 AM
81.11 GB/305.06 GB/3.76

Quote:
Sorry - XP here as well...
Old 2009-04-09, 12:54 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

iTunes is exhibiting the same behaviour within the 'Add folder to library' dialog;

The last folder I added was Waters 1984 Hartford; next time I want to add a different folder, but the folder path seems to hold the last folder used - see folder 1 image.

I collapse the path to two levels up from this, then open up the path again, and it fails to show all the folders under the 'mp3 concerts' folder..... see folder 2, where just the last added folder is still showing as the only one.

No amount of double-clicking, right-clicking, etc seems to clear it. Have closed iTunes, opened it again, and dismounted the external drive which holds the folders, and remounted it, all to no avail.....

Looking like not a TLH issue, but anyone - any ideas?
Old 2009-04-09, 12:55 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Hasn't included my screenshots... hang on a minute....
Old 2009-04-09, 12:59 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Folder 1

Folder 2

Old 2009-04-09, 01:02 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

There's a few hundred folders below the 'Downloaded concerts' level, but whatever I do, the view always returns to that shown in folder 1 image, with the only one shown being the last one imported.

Similar behaviour to the TLH dialog where the only subfolder showing is the last one I converted.
Old 2009-04-09, 01:11 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
iTunes is exhibiting the same behaviour within the 'Add folder to library' dialog;

The last folder I added was Waters 1984 Hartford; next time I want to add a different folder, but the folder path seems to hold the last folder used - see folder 1 image.

I collapse the path to two levels up from this, then open up the path again, and it fails to show all the folders under the 'mp3 concerts' folder..... see folder 2, where just the last added folder is still showing as the only one.

No amount of double-clicking, right-clicking, etc seems to clear it. Have closed iTunes, opened it again, and dismounted the external drive which holds the folders, and remounted it, all to no avail.....

Looking like not a TLH issue, but anyone - any ideas?
The Browse for folder dialog is a system dialog that comes with Windows OS. An application has to call a special function from the Windows API (Application Programming Interface), and all you see and get is done by Windows OS (not by the calling application). So there's nothing I can do on TLH's side, I'm afraid.
Old 2009-04-10, 12:32 AM
1.87 TB/686.77 GB/0.36

Man! I use this program ALL the time. It makes life easier when you're addicted to downloading indescribable music that's as addictive as crack. Thanks! If you find something even better for the trading world, please feel free to share it. I wish I had access to all this stuff in the early 90's when I was a DJ on the radio -- even had my own Dead Show, which was pretty successful believe it or not. Honestly, it was better than the Dead channel on XM/Sirius....those guys need to loosen up and not be so tight-assed. it will come across much better to the listening audience. I do however enjoy the David Gans spots when he tells about his experiences at some of the shows. They need to do more of that stuff for sure. Dooly -----LOVIN' THIS SITE WAAAY TOO MUCH!

Last edited by jdooly; 2009-04-10 at 12:33 AM. Reason: SPELLCHECK
Old 2009-04-10, 04:15 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by roann View Post
The Browse for folder dialog is a system dialog that comes with Windows OS. An application has to call a special function from the Windows API (Application Programming Interface), and all you see and get is done by Windows OS (not by the calling application). So there's nothing I can do on TLH's side, I'm afraid.
Yup, I was beginning to suspect that - could I have changed anything, like a user-accessible folder option, that's triggered this behaviour? I'll go have a look at the folder structure from the root level onward, and scour the options for a clue.....

Since the iTunes add folder dialogue was working OK before, and it seems to have changed its behaviour since the TLH installation, could there be any element of the TLH install itself (rather than the running program) that could have affected it...?
Old 2009-04-13, 07:10 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Yup, I was beginning to suspect that - could I have changed anything, like a user-accessible folder option, that's triggered this behaviour? ...
No.

Quote:
... Since the iTunes add folder dialogue was working OK before, and it seems to have changed its behaviour since the TLH installation, could there be any element of the TLH install itself (rather than the running program) that could have affected it...?
No, TLH just calls a given Windows OS routine (as I said before). This has absolutely nothing to do with the installation process.
Old 2009-04-23, 01:41 PM
268.35 GB/887.78 GB/3.31

Hi,
My old login is "Peantr", my ratio = 2.75, 100 Gb liching.
I Can't go to traker. Help!
Old 2009-04-24, 04:17 PM
1.81 TB/10.08 TB/5.57

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantr1 View Post
Hi,
My old login is "Peantr", my ratio = 2.75, 100 Gb liching.
I Can't go to traker. Help!
What? I think you posted in the wrong place.
I think if your problem is not with traders little helper, that you should start your own thread. Use the technobabble forum and discribe your problem as much as you can.
Thanks MIke
Old 2009-05-14, 09:10 AM
11.98 GB/1.76 GB/0.15

If you could add an item to the windows context menu that says something along the lines of convert this file with... that would kick ass!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper