The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-05-22, 07:36 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Question about seeding

Okay I have a question about seeding on different websites. Alrighty first off on this site TTD I can seed fine I get quick connections and upload speeds up to 50 Kb/s I'm not having a problem at all here. But when I go to another site and try to seed nothing happens even if there's a bunch of leechers not one can connect with me. I'm not behind any firewalls I forwarded all my ports and even if I was I don't think I could seed here.. maybe i'm wrong. Is this just a better tracker?? Thanks for reading any info will do, Bill
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-22, 08:18 AM
hanshak2015
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Question about seeding

Sometimes when there are a lot of firewalled peers I only seed with a couple of Kb/sec even though I got a lot more bandwidth. I would only worry/act if on some trackers you can't seed at all.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-05-22, 08:48 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Yeah but I don't AT ALL! nothing happens! And that site has the ratio rules so I need to upload. And I feel sorta crappy about not being able to help someone out that's stuck ya know.
Old 2006-05-22, 09:44 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, how many seeds and how many leechers are there? I have something similar happen to me on another site where they ratio enfoce also and I've noticed strange things too. One show that I just finished downloading a couple of days ago has 33 seeds and 13 leechers and I am connected to noone. I have a ratio of about .1 on it because it will never connect me! On the other hand, another torrent from there has 50 seeds and 2 leechers and I am connected to one of those leechers and I'm uploading at about 20 KB/s and have a ratio of over 1.5. They don't show Peer Lists on that site though, so I can't see if it is a firewall issue or not (I'm not firewalled, I'm just wondering if a bunch of the peers are). Anyway, the point of my ramble is that sometimes trackers are just plain weird. You can't explain why they do what they do.

Old 2006-05-22, 10:58 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Well I tried to seed on a torrent that had 4 leechers and no seeds but it just isn't happening it sux!! That's on the other Torrent site though. Here I'm seeding a show at about 50 kb/s. Too bad it doesn't run as smoothly as it does here on other torrent sites.
Old 2006-05-22, 02:36 PM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Forgive this if this is a dumb question, but you are downloading the torrent file for each site you try to seed right?

OK, beside that, I have had a similar problem and found that I seem to need to use different BT clients for some different sites.
I usually use "Burst!" for instance but that won't work on Zomb for some reason so I use uTorrent for that site.
Old 2006-05-22, 03:22 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I didn't think about that, Homebrew. I tried to seed a show from my kids computer and it just plain would not do a thing. Then I went and looked at the site and saw that they banned the old version of bt that I had installed on there. So, it is worth reading the FAQ for the site and seeing if your bt client could be the problem.

Old 2006-05-23, 06:00 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101
Forgive this if this is a dumb question, but you are downloading the torrent file for each site you try to seed right?

OK, beside that, I have had a similar problem and found that I seem to need to use different BT clients for some different sites.
I usually use "Burst!" for instance but that won't work on Zomb for some reason so I use uTorrent for that site.
Yes I have the whole file downloaded on my hard drive. What i'm doing is going to the orphaned lists checking to see if any of the shows on my hardrive could help anybody stuck. Now I did a little test... OK I downloaded a file that I just recently completed from TTD with uTorrent. It downloaded fine and uploaded fine but only when i'm actually downloading. Now right when the file was complete the client dropped the leechers. I even had the client opened all night but it just wouldn't connect with anybody to seed. Then I downloaded different file on TTD using BitTornado and it did the same BUT now I can seed on here. But then again I downloaded a file with uTorrent on here TTD earlier and it did seed so what is going on?? It's driving me NUTS I tell you!!!
Old 2006-05-23, 06:03 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billo521
Yes I have the whole file downloaded on my hard drive. What i'm doing is going to the orphaned lists checking to see if any of the shows on my hardrive could help anybody stuck. Now I did a little test... OK I downloaded a file that I just recently completed from TTD with uTorrent. It downloaded fine and uploaded fine but only when i'm actually downloading. Now right when the file was complete the client dropped the leechers. I even had the client opened all night but it just wouldn't connect with anybody to seed. Then I downloaded different file on TTD using BitTornado and it did the same BUT now I can seed on here. But then again I downloaded a file with uTorrent on here TTD earlier and it did seed so what is going on?? It's driving me NUTS I tell you!!!
All in all sometimes I can seed and sometimes I can't even if I try different Bit clients...Weird
Old 2006-05-23, 10:02 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

uTorrent has a Seeding Priority tab in the Preferences. Check to make sure you don't have something set there that will give priority to other shows when seeding or that will disconnect you after you reach a certain limit/share ratio.

Old 2006-05-23, 10:53 AM
1.99 TB/1.77 TB/0.89

Quote:
Now I did a little test... OK I downloaded a file that I just recently completed from TTD with uTorrent. It downloaded fine and uploaded fine but only when i'm actually downloading. Now right when the file was complete the client dropped the leechers. !!
I believe uTorrent has a setting that if checked, it will not upload anything after your download is completed. That would make it not connect with anyone else after your file is 100%. Check all of the settings/preferences. Is that perhaps what is happening?
Old 2006-05-23, 11:24 AM
Billo521
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I don't see anything checked that's not supposed to be. I will double check on that later but for now I gotta get some sleep. Thanks for the info the both of you. Bill
Old 2006-05-23, 12:35 PM
PyRo UK
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
uTorrent has a Seeding Priority tab in the Preferences. Check to make sure you don't have something set there that will give priority to other shows when seeding or that will disconnect you after you reach a certain limit/share ratio.
I keep having problems where I want to seed a show, but Azureus says the S:P ratio is "fine", so it won't let me. I've set the queueing settings as attached. I've tried to get the cleint to basically see things as "Who cares about the torrent? I'm gona seed it whatever happens!", but it doesn't seem to be working to well.
What can I do to get my seeeds going, apart from using a different client?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Queing.GIF
( 10.3 KB, 41 views)

Old 2006-05-23, 12:41 PM
PyRo UK
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Yeah but I don't AT ALL! nothing happens! And that site has the ratio rules so I need to upload. And I feel sorta crappy about not being able to help someone out that's stuck ya know.
I have the exact same problem with oink. Only just realised yesterday how to get out of this mess.
  • Go to "Browse"
  • Click on the "leechers" icon to get the list ordered most leechers first
  • Whether you want it or not, chose a torrent with loads of leechers and preferably just the one seeder. That way, as you download, you'll be sending out data to loads of people, almost unaided.
  • Sit back and watch your ratio rise... preferably while enjoying a Pot Noodle
Old 2006-05-23, 01:31 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Well, in (Azureus) First Priority, I have the following settings:
Any
1:1
Ignore
Ignore
Ignore

In Ignore Rules, I have: