The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2022-09-22, 10:52 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

No forum closure this weekend

After some arm twisting, on Thursday our host provider tested each of the harddisks and found one not healthy. They replaced it but said it could take up to 24 hours to rebuild the RAID array. As of late Friday evening (Oct 7 11pm EST) we have not received word that the rebuild was successful. Thus again the forum will be shutdown. If we receive word on Saturday that the rebuild was successful, we'll keep the site up on Sunday. If my hunch is right, that will solve the immediate issues and keep the site alive.

Update 5:05am EST Saturday 10/15/2022:
I received word from U2Lynne that the RAID array rebuild was successful.

Furthermore, my initial research suggested the server didn't have enough RAM. One of the first things I noticed about the server was that there was no free RAM which means the virtual memory system (the swap partition) is keeping the server alive. Not good.

I found an online RAM calculator for MySQL which said we need about 16GB just for the database, not including anything else.

Our host provider was able to double the RAM from 16 to 32GB a few hours ago. We're going to let it run today (Saturday) and see what happens. Cross your fingers.

The specific error we have been seeing is "too many connections" with MariaDB, up to 5000 errors per day. It may be related to the random database corruption issues we've had. For any PHP/MySQL admins, feel free to share your experience. I hope to be able to research the issue in depth tomorrow, like is there a way to queue database queries such that no errors happen no matter how RAM starved a system is? Is MariaDB robust with page faults?

For those who don't know, MariaDB is an open source fork of the MySQL database, and part of what makes TTD work.

Update Monday 10/17/2022:
Fixing the RAID array and the RAM upgrade appears to have solved the immediate hardware issues. We're now only getting a few database "too many connections" errors when making a database backup. They appear to be benign. I think I know what's causing those and may have a solution.

I'm also researching how to optimize the server software settings because I hope to grow the site and attract more traders and seeders.

xavier242

Last edited by xavier242; 2022-10-23 at 07:52 AM. Reason: updated title to current status
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2022-09-22, 11:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Temporary forum closures this weekend

Bradley, sounds good, and I will work with you to make sure the tracker stays on.

Old 2022-09-25, 02:14 PM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

The site is working great with no one on it but the admins!

The tracker is ok right now. I just downloaded a gig no problem.

I hope we don't have to do this again next weekend. #1 task right now is to migrate to a different physical server and to datacenter SSDs. That should rule out hardware issues. I'm waiting for to hear from our hosting provider. U2Lynne has put in a help ticket about the change of admin, but I'm not allowed to contact them first (their email stated such).
Old 2022-09-25, 08:12 PM
45.92 GB/293.99 GB/6.40

U2torrents was always busier Thursday - Sunday Best of luck Bradley! Glad TTD will live on!
Old 2022-10-02, 09:18 PM
Independent collector
68.03 GB/677.00 GB/9.95

Re: Temporary forum closures this weekend (again)

How are things looking?

Old 2022-10-03, 06:48 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Temporary forum closures this weekend (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeboy View Post
How are things looking?
Old 2022-10-08, 02:47 AM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff
3.65 TB/8.38 TB/2.30

Re: Temporary forum closures this weekend Oct. 8-9, 2022

Haha to that gif... that's what I intend to avoid.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions