The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2009-01-27, 04:12 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Re: Trader's Little Helper update necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
I had to update my TLH today. I guess I was using an old build (never had any problems before) and got my first error message on it today. I was trying to encode a wav file to level 8, and - aw shit I forget exactly what it said - but it stopped with an error message. I'm on an XP machine, btw.
Newer build is different layout, and a couple things have changed, I see. Hey at least it worked! I guess I would recommend that people check for any upgrades to TLH once in a while. I didn't think about it until it stopped dead.
I wonder why the problem today, and never before? Oh well...
Too bad, without any error message it's hard to tell what happened. Next time you encounter an error please press <Shift>+<PrtScr> *before* you close the error message box. This will create a screenshot of the application window (well, in most cases, sometimes Windows doesn't want to) that you can post.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2009-01-27, 04:17 PM
Moronic Fool with a conscience
35.84 GB/99.20 GB/2.77

Re: Trader's Little Helper

Hmm. I think it is time I tried this program once again then. I did try it a while ago and to be honest, nothing would work as far as I remember! It was either giving me errors that meant nothing to me or just not running when I tried to run certain things. I assumed it was maybe just an old program and it was an XP compatibility issue.
Thanks for the updated info here
Old 2009-02-01, 03:44 PM
Sausage King of Chicago
37.74 GB/96.71 GB/2.56

I need to convert some .flac files to .mp3 (NOT the originals), but preserve the tags within.

Searching through the Options, I found no setting for this. Does the current version support this?

I'm on 2.2.2 build 152.
Old 2009-02-02, 12:51 AM
782.10 GB/7.93 TB/10.38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM View Post
I need to convert some .flac files to .mp3 (NOT the originals), but preserve the tags within.

Searching through the Options, I found no setting for this. Does the current version support this?

I'm on 2.2.2 build 152.
Please be very careful doing this as nobody wants to see the pool get polluted. That said, here's what flac officially say about their tags.

http://flac.sourceforge.net/faq.html

Quote:
What kinds of tags does FLAC support?

FLAC has it's own native tagging system which is identical to that of Vorbis. They are called alternately "FLAC tags" and "Vorbis comments". It is the only tagging system required and guaranteed to be supported by FLAC implementations.

Out of convenience, the reference decoder knows how to skip ID3 tags so that they don't interfere with decoding. But you should not expect any tags beside FLAC tags to be supported in applications; some implementations may not even be able to decode a FLAC file with ID3 tags.
HTH,
Seth
Old 2009-02-02, 02:18 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:

I'm on 2.2.2 build 152.
FLAC tags will *not* be preserved when doing a flac>mp3 conversion (btw, the actual release is v2.4.1 build 160).
Old 2009-02-02, 02:29 AM
Sausage King of Chicago
37.74 GB/96.71 GB/2.56

Shit.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 2009-02-02, 03:30 AM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimmeAreason View Post
Hmm. I think it is time I tried this program once again then. I did try it a while ago and to be honest, nothing would work as far as I remember! It was either giving me errors that meant nothing to me or just not running when I tried to run certain things. I assumed it was maybe just an old program and it was an XP compatibility issue.
Thanks for the updated info here
Works like a dream on my XP machine. I'd say you should give it another go.
Old 2009-02-22, 11:00 PM
241.61 GB/353.36 GB/1.46

What does 'truncated' mean?
Old 2009-02-22, 11:01 PM
Sausage King of Chicago
37.74 GB/96.71 GB/2.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn View Post
What does 'truncated' mean?
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/truncated

–adjective
1. shortened by or as if by having a part cut off; cut short: an unnecessarily truncated essay.
2. (of a geometric figure or solid) having the apex, vertex, or end cut off by a plane: a truncated cone or pyramid.
3. Crystallography. (of a crystal) having corners, angles, or edges cut off or replaced by a single plane.
4. Biology. truncate (def. 4).
5. Prosody. (of a line of verse) lacking at the beginning or end one or more unstressed syllables needed to fill out the metrical pattern.
Old 2009-02-23, 11:24 AM
6.56 GB/31.69 GB/4.83

Quote:
need to convert some .flac files to .mp3 (NOT the originals), but preserve the tags within.
I generally tag my flac files, but use mp3 for the car. Paying $20 to purchase Winamp Pro allows one to transcode to mp3 and preserve the tags. The flac tags are re-written during the transcode to the ID3V1/2 tags that the mp3 uses.
Old 2009-02-23, 08:32 PM
241.61 GB/353.36 GB/1.46

Quote:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/truncated

–adjective
1. shortened by or as if by having a part cut off; cut short: an unnecessarily truncated essay.
2. (of a geometric figure or solid) having the apex, vertex, or end cut off by a plane: a truncated cone or pyramid.
3. Crystallography. (of a crystal) having corners, angles, or edges cut off or replaced by a single plane.
4. Biology. truncate (def. 4).
5. Prosody. (of a line of verse) lacking at the beginning or end one or more unstressed syllables needed to fill out the metrical pattern.
As in the file is truncated or corrupt. In other words, what's wrong with the file. Is it SBE's or what?
Old 2009-02-24, 04:26 PM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullpinjohn View Post
As in the file is truncated or corrupt. In other words, what's wrong with the file. Is it SBE's or what?
Truncated usually means part of the audio data is missing (so the file is shorter than it should be). It has nothing to do with a sector boundary error.
Old 2009-03-07, 10:18 PM
305.86 GB/764.55 GB/2.50

Is there a MAC version avail?
Old 2009-03-08, 05:37 AM
TTD Staff
1.24 TB/594.30 GB/0.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Is there a MAC version avail?
No, there isn't.
Old 2009-03-17, 03:58 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

TLH - problem with 'Browse for Folder' dialogue

I installed TLH V 2.4.1 (Build 160) on my Vista machine recently, and I'm trying to convert some FLACs to mp3.

I leave the FLACs in their original folders, and create new folders where the mp3 are to go, and select the 'Convert Encoding Format' option.

I select the Browse for Folder button to the right of the target folder display box, and a dialog box opens up; navigate to a folder which already exists (I create the folders with Win Explorer first) and once the folder is selected, convert files.

The problem comes about when I want to convert a second set of FLACs and put the generated mp3s into a different folder - TLH won't let me de-select the first target folder; the dialog box opens to allow me to navigate the folder tree, but no matter how I click, double-click, click the small arrow, etc on the folder above the one I want to de-select, or at the folder levels above that, it stubbornly refuses to de-select it, leaving me with the choice of putting the mp3s into that folder and manually copying them later, or resarting TLH to clear out whatever needs to be cleared out.

I also have version 2.3.1 (build 156) on my other, XP, machine, and that seems to work fine.

If this explanation is unclear, I'll add screenshots.

Any suggestions, anyone?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Tags
tlh, traders little helper