The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2011-06-02, 12:33 AM
IC Elvis & hear God on my iPod
742.25 GB/2.35 TB/3.25

Location: Latitude: 52,3500°, Longitude: 4,9167°, Altitude: High
Extra audio track NTSC DVD necessary?

Most of the time I work with the PAL format but at the moment I'm working on some NTSC projects. Now I've read somewhere that the DVD-Video standard (NTSC) used in the regions of North America or Japan requires that the audio component of the program is in Dolby Digital or Linear PCM.

So if I want to author a DVD-Video with only a MPEG-1 Audio Layer II audio component, am I then obliged to add an extra audio track (being AC3 or LPCM)?
Old 2011-06-02, 12:50 AM
oxymoron
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: Extra audio track NTSC DVD necessary?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video

Audio data

The audio data on a DVD movie can be PCM, DTS, MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (MP2), or Dolby Digital (AC-3) format. In countries using the PAL system standard DVD-Video releases must contain at least one audio track using the PCM, MP2, or AC-3 format, and all standard PAL players must support all three of these formats. A similar standard exists in countries using the NTSC system, though with no requirement mandating the use of or support for the MP2 format. DTS audio is optional for all players, as DTS was not part of the initial draft standard and was added later; thus, many early players are unable to play DTS audio tracks. The vast majority of commercial DVD-Video releases today employ AC-3 audio.[citation needed] The official allowed formats for the audio tracks on a DVD Video are:

PCM: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 16 bit or 24 bit Linear PCM, 2 to 6 channels, up to 6,144 kbit/s. N.B. 16-bit 48 kHz 8 channel PCM is allowed by the DVD-Video specification but is not well-supported by authoring applications or players.
AC-3: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 5.1 (6) channels, up to 448 kbit/s
DTS: 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling rate, 2 to 6.1 channels, Half Rate (768 kbit/s) or Full Rate (1,536 kbit/s)
MP2: 48 kHz sampling rate, 1 to 7.1 channels, up to 912 kbit/s

DVDs can contain more than one channel of audio to go together with the video content, supporting a maximum of 8 simultaneous audio tracks per video. This is most commonly used for different audio formats—DTS 5.1, AC-3 2.0 etc.—as well as for commentary and audio tracks in different languages.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble