The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-07-08, 08:52 PM
13.10 GB/5.39 GB/0.41

Port forwarding: It seems I'm behind more firewalls than I thought.

For a while i was wondering why torrents didn't seem to be going very quickly for me, despite the fact that i had activated port forwarding for my computers firewall. Well, I was recently looking over my home network and realized something.

Ok, first my DSL line goes into a router/modem in my dad's office which splits off into four or so separate lines. To get to my computer, a line heads form this router to a wireless router which shoots the signal across the backyard to my house. Here it meets a wireless relay which bounces to another relay in the attic (to make sure every spot in the house is covered) and then feeds into my computer. As far as I can tell, each of these check points is protected by a firewall.

Now, I think the solution will simply be to access all the various routers, and set their firewall to forward the port I use for torrents, but I thought I'd check and see if there is actually anything thing I else I will need to do to alleviate this multiple firewalls situation.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-07-08, 09:21 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: Port forwarding: It seems I'm behind more firewalls than I thought.

Wow. That's quite some setup! Yeah, you will have to access each router and forward the ports for the router it connects to. Also, make sure you don't have a firewall turned on for your computer (the WinXP firewall). I don't envy you having to figure that out!

Don't forget that all that firewalling means is that you may not connect to other firewalled users. This should normally cause no problem at all if you are on a new torrent which has many seeders and leechers. The times that this causes problems is when you get on a torrent with only a few peers and they are firewalled also - none of you may then exchange information between yourselves.

Old 2008-07-08, 09:54 PM
bright ambassador of morning
497.48 GB/1.18 TB/2.43

Re: Port forwarding: It seems I'm behind more firewalls than I thought.

There's also a good chance that you're cutting bandwidth in half each time you bounce the wireless signal to another router/access point. Firewall or not, that will slow your speeds.

Quote:
Vince Gill:
I just got an award presented to me by a Beatle. Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskg View Post
I knew that was the wrong answer
such is the nature of Gilligan.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble