The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-09-06, 09:31 PM
40.05 GB/41.95 GB/1.05

Re: PAL to NTSC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rherron
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...ead.php?t=6599

You can use a program called IFOEdit to sort of trick your DVD player into playing PAL DVDs, and it is VERY, VERY easy to do.

Using IFOEdit, open .IFO files. The program will have two windows of information. In the bottom window there will be lots of lines of text. Look for the lines (there will be 1 or 2 or more depending upon which IFO file you are looking at) of text containing the word "PAL." Double click those lines. A dialog box will open. There is a button to select PAL or NTSC. Select NTSC. Save the file. It will ask if you want to change the .BUP files as well. Answer "Yes." You're done. Burn away.

This is not a true conversion (PAL to NTSC) but changing the info files like this will trick many DVD players into believing this is an NTSC recording. I have heard it will not work on all DVD players but it works great on mine. No problems whatsoever. It does nothing to alter the actual video files, so there is no deterioration of the quality. It is my understanding that many (most?) newer DVD players are capable of playing both NTSC and PAL though they are not sold that way (perhaps because of pressure from the movie industry because it helps make it easier for them to maintain its region encoding system -- just a guess).

The worst thing that could happen is that it wouldn't work on your player and you'd have wasted $.50 cents on a DVD+R. Back up every file in the "VIDEO_TS" folder that is not a video (VOB) file and if this doesn't work for you you can restore the folder to it's original state (this is also a good idea in case you ever wish to trade the show or reseed it, etc.).

IFOEdit is free, and available here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/v...ols/ifoedit.cfm.

Rob

afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd-r_tools/ifoedit.cfm
is the full link

or you could go to
http://www.ifoedit.com/ screenshots there

Last edited by tman88; 2006-09-06 at 09:34 PM. Reason: update
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-09-07, 08:19 AM
18.28 GB/38.30 GB/2.09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Stallion DVDs
I didn't even know there were televisions back in 1945. I thought they first came out around 1948 or so.
Well television certainly existed prior to 1945 -- NTSC was adopted in the early 40s, but set production was virtually halted during the war.

But my point was during the occupation -- which lasted through 1952 -- the US controlled as much as the rebuilding decisions as they could (and encouraged decisions which favored American corporations). I doubt there were that many Japanese watching TV even by 1952, but it is one of many things that is a hold over from that period.
Old 2006-09-09, 07:36 PM
24.44 GB/20.39 GB/0.83

ifo edit is a breeze. highly recommended
Old 2006-10-24, 01:16 PM
697.16 GB/81.68 GB/0.12

PAL to NTSC : an issue for traders

I've been trying to get an NTSC version of the Bruce Springsteen PAL DVD I got from a trade. I did not succeed. People had been asking if I was up for a trade - but I asked if the DVD was on PAL or NTSC. Well, believe it or not : no answers.

Even when told how to do it with DVDecrypter - there is a way of knowing whether a DVD is in PAL or NTSC with this software - that most traders use IMHO.

No answers. The process would take about a very loooooooooong 3 seconds. No. I don't know, it seems that people are lazy or something and don't want to bother unless they'll get the assurance of an easy trade with no questions.

But I have to know ! Is this so much to ask ? I live in N-America and even thought I have a player that can play both standards I'll get stuck with the PAL version. No one wants them here. I never did trade one.

I've decided to convert the DVD myself - not my first time - since I author my own stuff anyways. But asking if the Disc was in PAL or NTSC people don't want ot bother even thought I told them how to. I'm satisfied with the results and added a bonus track while I was at it.

Anyways, I thought I would get it off my chest. It seems that you are better served with yourself.http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...newthread&f=4#
Thumbs Up
Dan

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble