The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-04-27, 09:58 AM
169.63 GB/3.02 TB/18.21

Sometimes Firewalled, Sometimes Not

Folks,
I'm trying to get de-firewalled. I'm using Azureus (port 50000) with Windows XP, and my ISP is Road Runner (cable). I'm using a Linksys WRT54GX4 Wireless router behind a Linksys SPA2102-R Lingo/VOIP Phone router.

Have done what's directed at the Port Forwarding Site (for both routers), and set Windows Firewall to treat Azureus as an exception.

After doing all this about half the time TTD shows me as FIREWALLED and half the time not. Zomb still shows me as consistantly firewalled. I still get a NAT Error in Azureus, but now it times out (probably blocked) instead of showing the connection as definitely blocked.

I do seem to be getting more green faces than before, but still not that many.

Just not sure what to make of this. I want to start uploading my own torrents but I don't want to do it if I can't provide a fast enough connection to others.

Thanks in advance for all feedback.

Best,

Keith
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-04-27, 11:04 AM
THE PROSTITUTE
TTD VIP
619.63 GB/14.06 TB/23.23

Re: Sometimes Firewalled, Sometimes Not

I think it may be your ISP. For about 15 days every month I'm 'not connectable'. The other days I'm fine. I haven't changed anything and I still download the same, it just says not connectable.
Old 2008-04-27, 11:27 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Being firewalled does NOT mean you can't upload at your maximum speed. It simply means you may only upload (or download) to/from people who are NOT firewalled. If you are a seeder on a show and there are several leechers that are not firewalled, you will happily upload away to them. However, if all the leechers are firewalled, y'all will just sit there doing nothing. So, just realize that being firewalled simply limits the people you may upload/download with.

One of the biggest mistakes users make when trying to forward their ports is they don't set themselves up with a static local IP. They keep DHCP on and thus get a different local IP from their router everytime they start up the computer and thus are firewalled because they forwarded their ports for a particular IP that they aren't using. So, make sure you read this part of the tutorial for forwarding your ports: http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

Old 2008-04-27, 11:43 AM
169.63 GB/3.02 TB/18.21

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as I know I did set up a static IP address properly, but Azureus seems to be looking for the old dynamic one when I run a NAT test. Not sure why.

Any other thoughts?
Old 2008-04-27, 12:14 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

When I do a NAT test in Azureus, all it shows me is the port number it is testing, not the IP number. So, I'm not sure what you are seeing?

Old 2008-04-27, 12:49 PM
169.63 GB/3.02 TB/18.21

Here's the exact text from the NAT test in Azureus:

++++++++++++++

Testing port 50000 ...
NAT Error - Connect attempt to 24.163.114.xx:50000 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed.

++++++++++++++

The IP address is the one my ISP assigns to me, right?

Shouldn't Azureus be showing the static one I set up?
Old 2008-04-27, 12:59 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moon View Post
Here's the exact text from the NAT test in Azureus:

++++++++++++++

Testing port 50000 ...
NAT Error - Connect attempt to 24.163.114.xx:50000 (your computer) timed out after 20 seconds. This means your port is probably closed.

++++++++++++++

The IP address is the one my ISP assigns to me, right?

Shouldn't Azureus be showing the static one I set up?
When testing the port, all they can see is the one your ISP assigns you. The only one who can see your local IP (the static one like 192.168.1.xxx) are the other computers in your network and your router.

You should log into your router and make sure that port is forwarded. You should also verify that your router sees the correct IP for you. I *think* on a PC, you get to the terminal and type "ipconfig".... I think.... maybe someone on XP can help with that.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble