The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-10-17, 04:16 PM
62.31 GB/55.68 GB/0.89

Re: Is this the same Media? (VERBATIM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizby
The Fujis usually go pretty quickly, and I've had mixed success with TDK discs.
Interesting. Concerning your mixed success with TDK, does it have anything to do with the difference between the Made in Japan vs. Made in Taiwan ones? I know the Best Buys around here typically carry the Taiwan ones, but on rare occasions they get a batch of the Made in Japan ones.

Also with your "mixed" success, I'm curious what kind of burner you use, as I think this may be the issue. I have virtually the same success rate among all brands (including junk, with the exception of the store brand Comp USA made in Hong Kong discs I bought for testing purposes-which truly are junk). And my success rate is around 1 out of 150-200 discs do not burn properly per brand, which is pretty good if you ask me). You may want to consider upgrading your burner if you are serious about collecting, next time some money comes your way.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-10-17, 04:34 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

My burner, ironically, is a TDK DVDRW840G. It hasn't caused me any problems, really. Just a couple of bad spindles.

I don't seem to have the labels on all the spindles, but they're all the same kind, and the one label I have says they are from Taiwan. One of the spindles was good for the most part, only a few bad burns. But the other two, I had to go through 5 discs on average to get a good burn.

Just so you know, I don't do much trading. And when I do, people opt for audio CDRs.
Old 2005-10-17, 04:48 PM
green and submarine
72.53 GB/89.11 GB/1.23

Now that I run one of these "TDK" discs through an info program, it's listed as 'CMC MAG E01'. And, since they're +R and from Taiwan, that would put them in the 3RD CLASS MEDIA category. Bastards.

Thanks for the link and the info. Is there an equivalent brand quality page for CDRs? I'd love to have the info around.
Old 2005-10-18, 06:45 AM
11.76 GB/25.98 GB/2.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanguitarband
Also, not to sound like I disagree with you, becuase I've never turned down a trade because of media types. But to the defense of those that are picky, trades should be "even" and if you are using cheap discs, I don't think it is unreasonable for someone to be unwilling to give you quality discs for cheap ones. I don't waste my money on garbage media, and if I'm trading high quality media, I like to see something comparable in return. TY ((brand)))isn't the only high quality media made, as the posted link shows.

I'm personally more anal about the burner used to make the discs. From personal experience I have found that, regardless of the media that is used, 80% of the DVD trades I have made, I end up having to reburn them becuase the trader was not using one of the best burners available.

I can burn garbage media with my burner and have it play on drives that won't even recognize the very best media burned on lesser drives. I'm a firm believer that the burner is just as important as the media ID.

Most players are not pickey enough for most people to notice the difference in the burner that was used, but I have a couple of players that are. (And one of the players was $200+ upconverting DVD player, so it isn't because the players are cheap pieces of junk).

That being said, I really think everyone should use high quality media for trading purposes. Garbage media for personal use is fine. I think we have pointed out that price isn't the real issue here, if people would do a little research before they buy, you can find high quality media at great prices, even at local stores. Just stock up when they go on sale, and you will be set.
Matching the media to the burner is actually the most important thing. It's totally ignored by traders though, which is why I tend to ignore this whole media issue. Which would you rather have a guy burn you a flawless disc on cheap media that works in his drive, or someone spend a ton of money on media that his drive has problems with. The same thing with the old "do not burn at higher then X speed".
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-10-18, 10:52 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

i'll second Rider on that...the speed requirements is stupid...though i DON'T accept imation or any of the office depot no-names, any major brand i've gotten have had no problems...as much of a TY pusher as i am , its assanine to expect everyone to buy them or trade with em...

fwiw, i usually just backup anything i receive to TY DVDR data discs for my own archives, and then B&P or offer the disc sent to me for trade...that way, i know my archives are on the best possible quality, it isn't a hassle for others trading with me, and it allows me to get the show on to someone else...

re: drives, i use Plextors, and have *never* had any compatability issues...some brands might take longer to read, but still no major issues...i'd highly recommend anyone getting a new burner to go with Plextors

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble