The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-01-10, 10:31 PM
gusphan89
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Flac Problems! Help!

Okay Can someone please help me, Ive been using Flac Frontend for a long time now and recently I came home from vacation and it stoped working. When I try to decode the songs from flac to wav. it says ERROR While Decoding data, state = FLAC_Stream_Decoder_Read_Frame. What the hell does that mean? Ive uninstalled and downloaded it millions of times and it will work one or twice more, and then mess up again. Any suggestions. Please I need to fix this. Its killing me.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-11, 07:14 AM
On the outside looking in
79.07 GB/117.24 GB/1.48

Re: Flac Problems! Help!

traders little helper may help you out
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-01-11, 09:44 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I Googled this problem and saw many talk about it, but no one come up with a concrete solution. Some people said the problem went away if they just redownloaded the tracks they were having problems with, but others had the same problem with you were suddenly *everything* was having problems.

I would do as inside-eye suggested and download Traders Little Helper and see if your problems go away then. TLH is an all-in-one program for the PC that will decompress your shn, flac, and ape files and it has shntool built in also. It's the only program you will need for all your lossless compression/decompression. The link is in our Software FAQ.

Old 2006-01-11, 10:26 AM
gusphan89
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thank You U2lynne, Ill try that out.
Old 2006-01-11, 10:55 AM
indica
381.78 GB/695.03 GB/1.82

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I Googled this problem and saw many talk about it, but no one come up with a concrete solution. Some people said the problem went away if they just redownloaded the tracks they were having problems with, but others had the same problem with you were suddenly *everything* was having problems.

I would do as inside-eye suggested and download Traders Little Helper and see if your problems go away then. TLH is an all-in-one program for the PC that will decompress your shn, flac, and ape files and it has shntool built in also. It's the only program you will need for all your lossless compression/decompression. The link is in our Software FAQ.

What the pretty lady said...
Old 2006-01-11, 07:16 PM
gusphan89
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Not Working....
Old 2006-01-11, 07:25 PM
gusphan89
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

FooBar2000 works, so i guess im gonna have to use that for now, i hope someone can help me out. I liked using Flac Frontend. And TLH seems cool.
Old 2006-05-25, 03:21 PM
tigolbitties
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i'm having the same exact problem. every single file. both with flac frontend and with traders little helper.

if anyone has figured this one out, i'd love to hear about it.
Old 2006-05-25, 03:24 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I know this is not the answer...... but there are plugins for nero foobar etc... that allow you to burn straight from flac to disc without decompresing first. Maybe this would be a work around.
Old 2006-05-25, 03:29 PM
tigolbitties
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

i don't have nero, i'm using ONES.

if you burn from flac to disc without decompressing, it will play in any cd player?
Old 2006-05-25, 04:44 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

if its burned as an audio cd... nero has a plugin that can convert on the fly.

I have never had the problem with any flac decoder fwiw. not sure what that error is all about.

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-05-25, 04:50 PM
tigolbitties
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

that sounds cool. i don't have nero though and can't buy anything right now. i'll figure it out. i'm re-downloading one of the torrents to see if that helps.

and i downloaded foobar, in case that might work, but can't really figure out how to convert with it.
Old 2006-05-25, 05:00 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

andrea, it is probably a waste of time to re-download the torrent... try running a test on the FLAC files first. dump them in ffe and push "test"

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2006-05-25, 05:02 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

tigolbitties - ONES is much better than Nero in many ways. Maybe you should reinstall FLAC. Cleaning out the registry, etc. It has been my experience that reinstalling usually takes less than time than trying to figure out what is wrong. If it does it after reinstall (assuming you cleaned your temp files, registry, etc.) than .... well that sucks.

And to be honest the more than I think about it... If FLAC is having some corrupted .dll issue like you are saying.... the NERO, etc. route probably won't work either. Since it uses the same libraries.
Old 2006-05-25, 05:37 PM
PyRo UK
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I've also found a program called "Multi Frontend". It looks quite similar to the FLAC Frontend, but can convert between every format I've ever heard of, and more! The atached picture displays every format listed in the drop-down menu.
Although it can convert between every format, it doesn't have that many variables. There are very customisable tagging options but for eg: LAME encoding, there are just 3 preset qualitys.
Also, you have to get the codecs yourself. I do this by downloading a format's official frontend, then stealing the codec and placing it in MultiFrontend's directory.

All in all, its not the best program to get if you don't have any need for such obscure codecs, but I find it useful. I can download a FLAC file, and then encode it straight to LAME in one go to put on my Zen (which is currently away for replacement RIP). And if I download any of those troublesome Ogg files, I can convert them straight to FLAC, without the need to convert to WAV, walk away, come back, and then convert to FLAC manually. Intermediate WAV files are created and deleted without the need to be there (There's also the option to do "on the fly" encoding if you want it super quick).
I downloaded some MPC's the other day, and had no idea what to do. So I stuck the MPC codec file in, and converted it all to FLAC and LAME. Simple as that.

I like this program for similar reasons to FireFox, you can do whatever you want with it, just stick in the new piece and you're off!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble