The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-03, 04:28 PM
The Dude abides...
7.86 GB/153.60 MB/0.02

Re: Computer shutting down

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Evan you better read this.
Old 2005-10-23, 12:43 PM
animekenji
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

This is most likely a heat issue. My M6811 recently started exhibiting the same behavior. The problem is the two vents on the rear of the machine. They become clogged with dust very easily. Blowing them out from the outside, is only a temporary fix as all the dust trapped in the vents will get blown inside and eventually make it's way back to where it was and cause the machine to overheat again. You need to get inside and blow the dust out, not in. Don't try this if your machine is still under warranty. There are plenty of guides posted on the net about opening an M6811, so I won't go into the details here. You just have to get in there with an air compressor or a can of compressed air and blow on the inside of those vents until they shine and no longer have hairy, powdery build up on them anymore. I keep my machine on my lap, so I noticed a huge drop in the case temperature, and my fans hardly ever go anymore since I unblocked the vents. I also picked up about 25 minutes of additional battery life because the fans aren't struggling all the time to keep the thing cool. Just a warning, though. If you plan on blowing the vents from the outside using your breath, be prepared for an eyeful of dust from each one. It may take 3-4 really good blows to clear them enough to bring the temperature down. When I first checked mine, I felt NO airflow coming from the smaller vent at all. After blowing, a warm draft was definitely noticeable. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-10-26, 07:32 AM
201.57 GB/503.56 GB/2.50

I know mine has shut off like that too....sometimes in the middle of a burn or a heavy conversion (grrrrr)...

I noticed the fan is on the bottom and the coffee table I keep it on was really warm. I added some rubber feet to the bottom which keeps it up just another half inch or so and found it gives much better ventilation and doesn't do that much anymore.

Also if I am going to do something intensive (like a conversion in tmpgenc), I'll sorta leave the spot where the fan is to hang a little off the edge of the coffee table so the air is definately getting in there.

Worth a shot
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble