The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2008-03-18, 03:07 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Re: Going Digital... (help!)

I store all my stuff twice, 1 set in internal HD (WD, Seagate & Maxtor) in external usb enclosure and 2nd copy on DVD (I use Fuji). In case 1 gets corrupted (happened a few times) I restore from the other set.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2008-03-21, 10:33 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude87 View Post
Quote:
1. what software did you use for audio playback and/or catalog
(im just using winamp & browsing directories - the other progs wanted to much tagging of files)

2. what video card are you using for HDTV ?
I'm using JRiver's Media Center for audio playback and cataloging. I also use FooBar 2000's Live Show Tagger plugin to tag all of my FLAC files (and I convert old SHNS to FLAC for tagging capabilities). Tagging makes a huge difference in playback, plus having a really strong catalog function for playlists helps a lot.
good call on the Foobar auto tagging
its finds 2 out of 5 shows. seems to me CDDB was great for live shows..maybe there is another plugin.

Really enjoying the auto-gain on Foobar2000 .. cause all these recordings are at different levels - thats a HUGE feature.

also Foobar2000 uses half the processing power. (im using an older laptop so it matters)
not sure what winamp is doing - but it was eating up the CPU resources at a ridiculous level.

if Foobar2000 had an 'Album Cover' view it would be almost everything I was looking for in a jukebox player.
Old 2008-03-21, 10:58 AM
On the Beach
666.18 GB/1.29 TB/1.99

sidenote: maybe Im late to this game - but im finally realizing the importance of tagging flac files.
perhaps as the years roll on this practise will become more commonplace.
band > title/show > track name > year

thats really all you need
Old 2008-03-21, 02:40 PM
1.11 TB/8.95 TB/8.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf-pgh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude87 View Post

I'm using JRiver's Media Center for audio playback and cataloging. I also use FooBar 2000's Live Show Tagger plugin to tag all of my FLAC files (and I convert old SHNS to FLAC for tagging capabilities). Tagging makes a huge difference in playback, plus having a really strong catalog function for playlists helps a lot.
good call on the Foobar auto tagging
its finds 2 out of 5 shows. seems to me CDDB was great for live shows..maybe there is another plugin.

Really enjoying the auto-gain on Foobar2000 .. cause all these recordings are at different levels - thats a HUGE feature.

also Foobar2000 uses half the processing power. (im using an older laptop so it matters)
not sure what winamp is doing - but it was eating up the CPU resources at a ridiculous level.

if Foobar2000 had an 'Album Cover' view it would be almost everything I was looking for in a jukebox player.
I don't use Foobar as my jukebox software - JRiver gives me better control, especially in terms of organizing playlists. It can also handle video formats (although I keep videos on DVD for now, at least - as storage continues to get cheaper that could change, of course). The JRiver software isn't free, but it's been $40 well spent so far.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble