The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-06-12, 03:50 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Question New To Uploading - Some Specific Questions

Greetings all,

I'm getting myself prepped to start uploading some of my DAT masters & want to learn to do it up right the 1st time, as opposed to "winging it".

I have checked all the site's FAQ's & a bunch of forum posts associated with doing so & have the inaugural fileset about 90% ready to go. I still find myself uncertain of a couple of final steps however - thus this post to those in the know.

Specifically (& my apologies for the many questions to follow...):

When using TLH -

When I create the .torrent file, should I add the .flac extension to individual tracks/named files manually before doing so or will TLH do it for me?

Also, I've created a specific torrent folder for this show that is much more succinctly named than the flac folder. When creating said torrent in TLH, I wanted to confirm that I should browse/choose this torrent folder in the "torrent file to create" box. I also wanted to ensure the differing file names will not cause a conflict of any type?

OK, once I get past this step, I'm almost there.

Which brings me to creating the torrent in my bt client. I use uTorrent Pro & some of the differentiations in the FAQ (which is specific to Azureus), cause me a little concern in proceeding confidently. Specifically...

A simple confirmation first - in the "Trackers: " field, am I correct in assuming I should delete the (2) pre-populated trackers & just paste the TD announce URL as the only one?

In the "Other" area "Start Seeding" is checked, that's a good thing I'd imagine! My other (unchecked) options are "Private Torrent", "Preserve File Order" & "Create Encrypted". I'm inclined to also check both the 1st 2, just not sure about the validity of choosing "Create Encrypted" as well? Any opinions here are welcome.

Beyond that, what causes me the slight concern is there is no option to "Allow decentralized tracking when tracker is unavailable" as per the FAQ recommendations. Does uTorrent default to this as per TD standards? If not, can I enable in another manner if need be? Or on the flip side, is this not something to be concerned about at all?

Lastly, once I get through the above & take the steps to upload to TD, if I understand correctly, I must be the 1st to download it in order to initiate proper seeding to others peers. My question is this - when downloading should I target the files to the same .torrent file as I uploaded from or create a separate destination folder? I would lean towards the former making most sense, but am far from positive here...

Again, my apologies for the lengthy discourse & litany of questions! One last question if I may - did I miss anything???

My infinite gratitude for your indulging & alleviating my lack of a clue folks. I'll be sure to pay it forward through the many eclectic DAT master uploads to soon follow!

Namaste,
E
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-06-12, 06:23 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Re: New To Uploading - Some Specific Questions

When you create the .torrent file, you will select a directory and it will create a .torrent file for that includes all the files in that directory. The directory you select should have only the .flac audio files, not the .wav/.aiff audio files, and the text file and fingerprint file. You shouldn't have to rename any of those after they are created.

I'm not familiar with uTorrentPro, but you do want to click the Private Tracker box. You do NOT want to check the box to start seeding right away. That is because you will upload the .torrent to this site, then you will download the torrent file from the thread you create and you will use it to seed the show. That torrent file that you download will have a private key in it that is used to keep track of your tracker stats. I don't think it matters about preserving the file order, but I don't think you want to check the encryption one.

Old 2016-06-12, 07:13 PM
Digital Slave
223.67 GB/582.60 GB/2.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
When you create the .torrent file, you will select a directory and it will create a .torrent file for that includes all the files in that directory. The directory you select should have only the .flac audio files, not the .wav/.aiff audio files, and the text file and fingerprint file. You shouldn't have to rename any of those after they are created.

I'm not familiar with uTorrentPro, but you do want to click the Private Tracker box. You do NOT want to check the box to start seeding right away. That is because you will upload the .torrent to this site, then you will download the torrent file from the thread you create and you will use it to seed the show. That torrent file that you download will have a private key in it that is used to keep track of your tracker stats. I don't think it matters about preserving the file order, but I don't think you want to check the encryption one.
Thank you graciously for the reply! You clarified the vast majority of my curiosities.

I'm now at 95% Go Mode, my last bit of concern would be once I've uploaded to the tracker, that the downloaded .torrent file destination folder I choose should indeed be the same upload source (.torrent) folder for the seeding to begin properly/complete without 99% errors, etc...

If I could prevail upon you for some final clarification pertaining to the above, that will have me at 100% (I hope... ).

Again, infinite thanks for the enlightenment!!

E
Old 2016-06-12, 07:19 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DATman714 View Post
once I've uploaded to the tracker, that the downloaded .torrent file destination folder I choose should indeed be the same upload source (.torrent) folder for the seeding to begin properly/complete without 99% errors, etc...
Yes, this is correct. You want to download the .torrent file that is in the thread you created. Use this .torrent file to launch your client and when it asks you "where do you want to save the files" you point it to the same directory you used when you created your initial .torrent file you uploaded. Your client will then check all the files in that directory, see you already have them, and start seeding.
Old 2016-06-12, 07:20 PM
crumpet-stuffer
TTD Staff
87.48 GB/884.33 GB/10.11

Doesn't matter where the .torrent file gets downloaded, only that you start it and *importantly* point to the folder containing the files you uploaded, so it will checkout to 100% and start seeding.

Essentially, you are the first person in the swarm.

Also, be sure to change absolutely nothing in the files you created the torrent file from, after creating the .torrent file. If you do, they won't match anymore and you'll only ever get 99% complete when trying to become the first seed.

Good luck

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble