The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-07-07, 01:40 PM
27.13 GB/217.10 GB/8.00

Re: Policy For Live 8 Material on The Traders Den

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_k
I can torrent the XM feed of pink floyd..
dosent every have it yet???... any way, MTV unluggeds get torrented.
i think the Mtv broadcast or the bbc should be up for grabs.....

i already have a DVD with JAYZ, SNOOP, DMB, STEVIE WONDER, the who , and floyd..... there all from webcast... .. cheers
no webcast material is allowed on here, and the lossless torrent of Pink Floyd is already on here, XM is lossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Handy
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-16, 12:22 AM
Babe Threader
158.46 GB/86.59 GB/0.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasweb

"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" performed by Paul McCartney and U2

"The Long And Winding Road" performed by Paul McCartney

Now because the audio has been officially released this means that the video will also be considered as such because it's using the officiailly released source.
Old 2005-07-16, 01:20 PM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepetee
What's your point?
Old 2005-07-17, 12:41 AM
Babe Threader
158.46 GB/86.59 GB/0.55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
What's your point?
The video version has never been released ?! It isn't the same thing.
Old 2005-07-17, 11:36 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Jeepetee, it's just like if a band releases an official live recording of a show. We would not allow someone to take a video of the show (audience or unreleased proshot) and sync it up with the official audio of the show and share it here.

Old 2005-07-21, 04:48 PM
133.44 GB/90.50 GB/0.68

Not meaning to be obnoxious, but isn't the broacast recording of the material a fundamentally different source than the one they would use for the commercial DVD release? The audio for that release would be directly from the soundboard, rather than from the broadcast. Besides which, isn't there at least one satellite in between the BBC and the local cable distributor from which the recording was made? And maybe one more between the venue and the BBC?

I don't really know anything about British copyright laws, but the established precedent in the US is that if it goes out over the air, you can record it.

Please enlighten me if I am cornfused...
Old 2005-07-21, 07:24 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

You are probably right. However, we wanted to be as careful as possible in hosting these shows. A bunch of sites wouldn't touch them and we didn't want to bring any attention to ourselves by hosting something that *could* get us in trouble. The other thing is that this was a charity event and we really didn't want to host something that may encourage people to download it instead of buying it. It's an iffy line and we could have gone either way on our decision to host any of the material, but we felt that the decision we did make was one that would show that we weren't trying to grab any proceeds away from them.

Old 2005-07-29, 03:40 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmbot
Not meaning to be obnoxious, but isn't the broacast recording of the material a fundamentally different source than the one they would use for the commercial DVD release? The audio for that release would be directly from the soundboard, rather than from the broadcast. Besides which, isn't there at least one satellite in between the BBC and the local cable distributor from which the recording was made? And maybe one more between the venue and the BBC?
You can't descibe the BBC's Live8 coverage and the upcoming DVD (or existing audio downloads) as from "fundamentally different sources".

The lineage may be different (hopefully the DVD will be better quality), but they will both be sourced from the same TV cameras and soundboard audio.

If we're talking copyright infringement, then I don't understand why the number of satellites between the venues and the home viewers makes any difference - it doesn't change the content.

Quote:
I don't really know anything about British copyright laws, but the established precedent in the US is that if it goes out over the air, you can record it.
There's a difference between recording a TV broadcast for your personal viewing and distributing copies of that recording to others.

Dave.
Old 2005-11-07, 10:25 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

As was stated at the beginning of this thread, Live 8 material was welcome here until it becomes officially released. Today, the Live 8 DVDs were released in Europe and tomorrow they will be released in the US. So, I've had to pull all Live 8 material from the site.

Live 8 - What it's all about

Old 2005-11-07, 07:09 PM
73.79 GB/901.90 MB/0.01

just thought i'd share some copyright info from canada (i'm not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but i bet it is similar:

recording anything that is broadcast, distributing it, publicly displaying it anything like that is fine for 30days from the broadcast. after that any recording of broadcasted material is supposed to be erased and no longer displayed/distributed.

again i don't know about the US and UK but i would guess that they have some sort of similar limit in their laws.
just an fyi
Old 2005-11-08, 12:17 PM
15.18 GB/130.30 GB/8.58

Is it ok to upload a compilation of unreleased video then? For instance, they're only releasing one song by DMB, and they played 3 others. Same thing with Def Leppard and Velvet Revolver, among others.

Personally, I think they dropped the ball on what is being released officially.
Old 2005-11-09, 03:55 AM
Utterly Bastard Groovy
75.55 GB/92.04 GB/1.22

I think the releases differ per country? Need to check that - but I'd say keep it away from it and maybe set up a Potato Vine for it elsewhere.
Old 2005-11-09, 10:13 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

jariche, the shows you are talking about were all seeded here in their entirety already for the last four months. Go see if you can set up a snail mail trade for them. We've said from the beginning that as soon as these shows are released officially, we would no longer allow them to be torrented here. We want to encourage people to support the cause.

Old 2005-11-21, 01:02 PM
15.18 GB/130.30 GB/8.58

sounds good to me, thanks.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions