The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2007-03-13, 05:08 AM
82.64 GB/234.95 GB/2.84

Gap indication at beginning of disc with EAC

Hi - I've prepared a show to up (my first here) from a 2 disc silver set I have and now the anxiety of screwing up has set in and have a question I can't seem to find addressed in the forums, archive or FAQ:

Is anything to be done with the pregap at the beginning of each disc?

First I want to say being an OSX user if I were just ripping with xACT, I'd never known it was there - doesn't show such things that I can find, and its not unlike other cd's where there's brief silence to open a disc - But upon getting 'atom' problems with xACT and unsatisfactory rip logs I opted for setting up EAC on the peecee to get an error corrected rip, at least as far as the log says, and it did and sounds great (finally XP was good for something!) as did the xACT wavs but thats another thread - anyway EAC showed a 00.00.02.00 pregap in its gui on the first track of each disc upon (f4) - but doesn't show in the log. Now that I've seen it though listed in the gui I have to ask. Can it stay as is? or do I need to edit it out before uploading? and if so with what method? Is there a function in EAC to do this I missed or is it a manual edit thing I should do in SoundTrackPro or similar editing app? Then if so does this edit get noted in the lineage for the two tracks it affects since I would have altered the original content of the silver cd? Or is all this just overly obsessive and annoying

Here's a relevant piece of the log from EAC if thats any help for settings suggestions if applicable.

EAC extraction logfile from 12. March 2007, 11:59 for CD
Unknown Artist / Unknown Title

Used drive : QSI CDRW/DVD SBW242U Adapter: 1 ID: 0
Read mode : Secure with NO C2, accurate stream, disable cache
Read offset correction : 6
Overread into Lead-In and Lead-Out : No

Used output format : Internal WAV Routines
44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

Other options :
Fill up missing offset samples with silence : Yes
Delete leading and trailing silent blocks : No
Native Win32 interface for Win NT & 2000

Track 1
Filename C:\Robert Plant - 10-4-93 - Seattle\Disc1\Track01.wav

Peak level 61.7 %
Track quality 100.0 %
Copy CRC 61CAE3EB
Copy OK

thanks for the help/suggestions...just want to get it right the first time adding a torrent here!

greg
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-13, 07:18 AM
111.44 GB/127.92 GB/1.15

Re: Gap indication at beginning of disc with EAC

I'm new to all this as well, so you may want to wait for an expert response, but what I can tell you is that Toast INSISTS on having a 2 second pre-gap on the first track when burning an audio cd. I think this is part of the redbook standard, probably nothing to worry about.
Old 2007-03-13, 10:09 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Yeah, Toast does insist on a 2-second gap at the beginning of the disc, I think other burning apps do also. (I think?) It isn't usually included in the first track when you rip it, it's just 2 seconds of 'blank' space prior to the first track.

Anyway, can you actually see this gap? Do you have audacity? It's free: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ You may want to open up the first wav and see if that gap really exists there or if EAC was just saying there was a gap prior to extracting. (Or, if you don't want to get audacity, can you actually hear it?)

Old 2007-03-13, 05:28 PM
Lockout here
561.93 GB/871.08 GB/1.55

Your drive is problematic as it is listed as purged in http://www.accuraterip.com/driveoffsets.htm so perhaps results are inconsistent

2 sec gap at the beginning of disc is red book standard thus it cannot be changed.
Old 2007-03-13, 08:07 PM
82.64 GB/234.95 GB/2.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Yeah, Toast does insist on a 2-second gap at the beginning of the disc, I think other burning apps do also. (I think?) It isn't usually included in the first track when you rip it, it's just 2 seconds of 'blank' space prior to the first track.

Anyway, can you actually see this gap? Do you have audacity? It's free: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/ You may want to open up the first wav and see if that gap really exists there or if EAC was just saying there was a gap prior to extracting. (Or, if you don't want to get audacity, can you actually hear it?)
Yeah its there for sure on both opening tracks but its not exactly 2 seconds (see below/attachment 1. d1t1, 2. d2t1 3. middle track for ref) - as if its part of the source - so is it to be removed before posting a torrent, or since its seemingly part of the original recording/cd does it stay as is?

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...id=25401&stc=1

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 4.png
( 56.6 KB, 19 views)

Old 2007-03-13, 10:22 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I would leave it as is. I t's a straight rip from the Silver CDs and the 'gap' is at the beginning of the disc. You should mention in your text notes that you are aware of it and that it is straight from the Silver CDs.

Old 2007-03-14, 02:15 AM
82.64 GB/234.95 GB/2.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
I would leave it as is. I t's a straight rip from the Silver CDs and the 'gap' is at the beginning of the disc. You should mention in your text notes that you are aware of it and that it is straight from the Silver CDs.

Okay will do, thanks for answering my concern...

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble