The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2004-12-23, 02:23 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Re: question about audio receivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Good choice. Denon is absolutely a high quality unit, and it was a close choice between that and the Yamaha when I was buying. They are comparable units, and it really just comes down to the preference in sound at that point.

Congrats on your new home theater system!
I'm not too sure about Denon anymore. I have AVR-3300 5.1 receiver, it works great but very noisy fan and you can hear clearly when volume is too low or during quiet parts. I sent it to Denon once (costs me about $50 for shipping to NJ), they changed the fan but the new fan is no better.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2004-12-23, 03:16 PM
Sausage King of Chicago
37.74 GB/96.71 GB/2.56

That's too bad. Really.
Old 2004-12-23, 04:09 PM
260.98 GB/315.83 GB/1.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinM
That's too bad. Really.
i know. i like everything else, too bad. i think these guys (not just denon) need to slow down and concentrate on quality not how soon they can release another model. i see a new model every year or less.
Old 2004-12-24, 08:02 AM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

Bah!...to me DSotM sounds much better sourced from the original quadraphonic source(s) to DTS...and why in the world they still haven't (re)released WYWH in surround is a mystery to me. If any album should be floating around your head it's definately that one.
Double Bah the experience of DSotM live in a small vaudeville era theater, where by the way the sound did travel around the audience's head can never be topped for me. Great thread since I too am seeking a new receiver for the step up to HT for the ever amassing collection of music DVD's I find myself in possesion of.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2004-12-24, 04:29 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggrd
Double Bah the experience of DSotM live in a small vaudeville era theater, where by the way the sound did travel around the audience's head can never be topped for me. Great thread since I too am seeking a new receiver for the step up to HT for the ever amassing collection of music DVD's I find myself in possesion of.
Closest I ever got to that was at Pittsburghs Three River Stadium (RIP-they tore it down a couple years back) during the DSoT tour. They had speakers up in the nosebleed sections at the top of the stadium at the left-right-and rear for that surround sound experience. I was lucky enough to be something like 26 rows back from center stage and I still remember looking up at those extra stacks and seeing guys literally hanging off of the speakers.....they must've been deaf by the end of the show...
But the WEIRDEST thing about the concert?...it was a really hot and really humid day....it was completely clear with the sun shining, but when I walked into the stadium?...it was raining! That's the strangest sensation to look inside and see it raining, turn around and see the sun outside. The humidity was so high that a small raincloud actually formed right inside the stadium for a couple.
(sorry to the mods, not really related to the thread, but I had to say something back )

I will add one more bit of advice you might want to think of...you might want your receiver to have a TOSLINK connector (fiber) so if you play any DTS encoded CD's the DTS signal will make it from your player to the receiver...well, if you plan on ever playing any of them. There's more and more being released everyday. Personally I'm not impressed with the majority of the mixes as it seems the engineers have "movie mix" mentality on the brain....meaning they want to plant the vocals right in front at that center speaker. Meatloafs Bat Of Hell sounds AWFUL. Give me the old quad mixes any day... BUT for those who don't have those as reference the new stuff is entertaining.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble