The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2006-02-11, 01:14 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

DVD Burning Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAR.oner
always use Nero Burning ROM...*not* nero express, etc...

to burn a "watchable" copy [i.e. on yer home dvd player]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--select "DVD-Video" as yer project type
--drag *all* of the files in the show's Video_TS folder [.ifo, .bup, & .vob files] to the RED Video_TS folder in the project window.
--burn

to burn a "data disc" [which is what you'll want to use for archiving & trading]:
--open Nero Burning ROM
--select "DVD-ROM [ISO/UDF]" as yer project type
--drag the entire show's folder to the project window [including the Video_TS folder, info text, the .md5 checksum, artwork, etc]
--burn
also wanted to support Nero Express, since it also works well and some DVD burners come bundled with it (and not the full "Burning ROM" version). I found a nice little guide here:
http://members.dodo.com.au/~jimmalenko/NeroExpress.htm

I don't want to link that in tb since it is a very small site and we don't want to hammer his bandwidth with our traffic.

I also wanted to make a guide for burning "hybrid" (is that a good word?) discs which are playable in a standalone and also contain artwork (if any) info and checksums which can be run directly from the disc to test the files. From the checksums guide:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five
Advanced: Another possibility is to burn a standalone-playable data DVD which contains info, artwork (if any) and .md5 checksums inside a folder called EXTRAS_TS. To do this, create three folders in your compilation:

AUDIO_TS
EXTRAS_TS
VIDEO_TS

The VIDEO_TS folder contains the obvious, the AUDIO_TS folder must be there and remain absolutely empty, and the EXTRAS_TS with the art/info/checksums inside. When the .md5 file is placed inside of an EXTRAS_TS folder, the path must be formatted as:

Code:
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP
8d50cba158b40a75dd32cada8964aef7 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO
e40bd45c55f783d519c2a5c9aa088e98 *../VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.BUP
e11aaf0c14501bbf15d776a34218c205 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
da29301176f55de40d79be5cba560d06 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB
99ba41ff0fec88e3def109b6cb824dcb *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB
6c20fa2d2232106310d61dce30cd3e29 *../VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_2.VOB
If you wish you can substitute \ for /. The end result is a DVD which is playable in most standalones & also includes all the stuff which is normally included in a trade. Another big advantage is that you can double-click the .md5 which is inside the EXTRAS_TS folder and TLH will test all of the files on that DVD. Just be very careful that you get everything correct the same way I explained it above or it will not work.

thanks to fatoldpig and yoho for suggesting this stuff!
also wondering about a freeware prog that can do data. anybody ever use one? as it stands, everything hinges on nero. I think most ppl have it but would be good to have another option which is completely free software/freeware. Or at least a link where you can download shareware nero with fully functioning nero express which doesn't expire (like came with my DVD burner when I bought it.

after this, we will also need a guide to burning audio cdrs with EAC & maybe nero too for ppl who's burners aren't supported by EAC.

comments, etc are appreciated!

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2006-07-29, 08:38 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: DVD Burning Guide

just a note, but we might want to include ONES along with Nero for burning progs...not sure of a freeware for PC...but ONES rawks!
Old 2006-12-25, 12:53 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

ONES DVD Tutorial

Just install it. Open it.
You will be presented with several options.
To burn DVD's, you will use "Disc Copy", "Record VIDEO_TS", or "Data Mastering"

Record VIDEO_TS: If you have downloaded a dvd or have 'dragged' a VIDEO_TS folder to your desktop, use "Record VIDEO_TS".

NOTE: When using "Recored VIDEO_TS"... to find the VTS file, use the "folder" icon on the RIGHT side with the hour glass on it (Beside the green arrows)... NOT the "folder icon" on the left side (i dont know why its there, but you can NOT use the one on the left to find/add/burn with).

DISC COPY: If you just want to copy a disc, then use "Disc Copy". (it does not matter whether you have 1 or 2 drives/dvd roms).
IF you have 2 drives, just put both the source & target drives the same (which ever your burner is).

DATA MASTERING: If you want to make data disc (w/ text file, md5, etc.), then click on "Data Mastering"...and add the folder with all that info.

NOTE: One thing I've noticed with making datas. If you want to have the disc to be 1 folder with all the text, md5, coverart etc contained with in...you need to have that 'master folder'... inside of a bogus folder on your HD.
When you open the 'browse folders' button to create the data disc you will open the 'bogus' folder on your desktop, then add the 'master folder' at once.
IF you dont have it inside the bogus folder, it will force you to open the 'master folder' and add the items individually. Which is the same thing in the end, but, I think its nice to have it all in 1 folder on the disc.

You will not have to adjust any settings excpet for perhaps your 'source/target drives'.
Yes, it REALLY is that simple.
It will burn any disc that does not have an error on it and uses VERY LITTLE of your resources while its in use, unlike nero.

Last edited by retired; 2006-12-26 at 04:36 PM.
Old 2006-12-26, 11:02 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

I actually wrote a page on burning for Macs back when I was at STG (I got so sick of always writing it, so I just make a page and gave people the link!)

http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html

Old 2008-11-12, 03:02 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

this is a very old thread, but some info here might be useful

these days I recommend imgburn freeware

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble