The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-08-16, 11:20 AM
1.01 TB/2.42 TB/2.39

Question about changing text files in a torrent

I have a show that I got over at Dime. The original seeder says OK to up over hear. The original text file that came with the torrent only had 2 of the 14 songs listed. Question: Is it OK to change the text file to include all the correct songs in the right order, etc, save the file, then upload the show with the only change being the updated text file or should this information be disseminated in the following threads like an .mp3 sample?

Your thoughts.
Old 2010-08-16, 11:33 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Question about changing text files in a torrent

i see no problem with updating text files, as long as yer not changing any key info [source/lineage/taper/etc]
Old 2010-08-16, 11:35 AM
1.01 TB/2.42 TB/2.39

Thanks for the speedy responce.
Old 2010-08-16, 11:44 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Old 2010-08-16, 12:07 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

In fact, I think it's better to update the text file with accurate info.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-08-16, 01:56 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I agree but I would note on the file that you updated it.
Old 2010-08-17, 05:14 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

I would leave the original text file as is in the torrent (to be 100% compatible with the original version), and make a NEW text file with the updated track list, etc. for seeding here.
Old 2010-08-17, 05:35 PM
Greedy Corporation
TTD Staff
73.48 GB/423.76 GB/5.77

I don't see the point in doing that. Since you've added a new file, the torrent won't go to 100%, so it won't be "100% compatible with the original version."

JMO.
Old 2010-08-17, 07:40 PM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbullet View Post
I don't see the point in doing that. Since you've added a new file, the torrent won't go to 100%, so it won't be "100% compatible with the original version."

JMO.
The new file would be torrented here and be fine, plus it still (with the original files all intact plus the new file) would seed to 100% over at its original location by not modifying the original fileset but adding to it... That's what I meant.
Old 2010-08-17, 09:33 PM
Quack
35.06 GB/41.66 GB/1.19

Update the file, or if the original is cluttered w/ lots of irrelevant blah-blah, as some people fashion to do, create a much succinct one w/ the relevant stuff only. And leave (seed) both indicating which is the original and which is the one w/ the most up to date info

regards,

the entitled duck
Old 2010-08-18, 10:23 PM
1.01 TB/2.42 TB/2.39

Thanks for all the responses. I think that what I will do is
1. If the text file is in poor shape, change it and seed the changes.
2. If the text file is semi-OK just torrent the existing files and note it in the following posts.

I do not understand creating another text file and placing it in the music folder so that there are now 2 text files in there?

Will the torrent just look and download those files that were in the original upload or should I create a new .ffp file with the new text file in it? If I create a new torrent file, the people with the original file set and torrent file will not be able to seed.

Therefore If I understand Audioarchivist correctly, the original torrent and torrent file does not care that there is an additional text file in the folder and will seed to 100%?

Then how do people get not only the original torrent files, but also the new text file?

Just asking, a little confused.

Thanx,
Old 2010-08-19, 10:57 AM
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Smile Re: Question about changing text files in a torrent

OK, let me try and be clear!

I would make a new text file, updated and all that, saved with a name that says it's the new file or updated file or whatever. Leave the old one there too...

I'm not sure if making ffp checksums is all that relevant for text files, but I may be wrong. I only make ffp's for FLAC files. Maybe you'd like to make updated flac fingerprint files and save them as updated or new as well.

If you or anyone with this new fileset still wished to seed the original torrent at its original location (without the updated text, etc.) as long as the folder still has all the original files it would seed to 100%, ignoring the new files! This is what I meant by backwards compatibility - it will all work on the original location as long as all the original files are there.

The new set would only be passed along to the new location (here, right?) - the old leechers would not get the new files from the old torrent, but the fresh torrent will pass along your modifications.

This way, you don't have to abandon your responsibility of seeding the original files, and still pass along (to the new torrent) the new files... As soon as you modify and save the old text file it would not seed at its old location anymore, so that's why I say don't alter it, but make a new one that would run alongside it with a name that says its new.

I know sometimes I write wordy text files, but I'd hate that my masters get passed along without my personal touch. Sometimes they get re-posted with my info wiped, and that's a drag. If someone feels the need to change what I wrote, I'd wish they left my words alone, and still included them even if they're wrong, while making a new file that's edited. Kind of a bit of respect for the original sharer, too, you know?

Hope that helps - just my opinion, not the gospel truth, but I think it makes the most sense...
Old 2010-08-19, 11:41 AM
1.01 TB/2.42 TB/2.39

Thank you for the clarification Audioarchivist. It is clear to me now. Leaving the original files intact allow the leachers of the original torrent to still get the show completely ignoring any new files. The new .torrent file allows the new leachers on the new sight to get the updated information (i.e., text file) as well as the complete original file set.

From now on I will do this. Once again thank you for furthering my knowledge of how all this actually works.

Peace.
DrBob
Old 2010-08-20, 12:22 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
Thank you for the clarification Audioarchivist. It is clear to me now. Leaving the original files intact allow the leachers of the original torrent to still get the show completely ignoring any new files. The new .torrent file allows the new leachers on the new sight to get the updated information (i.e., text file) as well as the complete original file set.

From now on I will do this. Once again thank you for furthering my knowledge of how all this actually works.

Peace.
DrBob
Don't forget to "upgrade" the lineage while you're changing files.

People line to get upgrades of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne View Post
You wall-eyed apple-knocking pig-fuckers! You don't know shit!
Old 2010-08-20, 12:59 AM
1.01 TB/2.42 TB/2.39

Talking Re: Question about changing text files in a torrent

Thanks Freezer,

I think I will most likely call it a "remaster". Man, they jump on remasters like lemmings off a cliff!!

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble