The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2016-05-28, 11:12 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

FiiO Portable Music Players?

Anyone have one of these? Thoughts? Recommendations?

http://fiio.net/en/products

Obviously, I am looking at getting a new portable music device. My Sandisk clip+ still works great - but I would like the ability to play 24bit flac natively. I've heard good things about this company & am looking at the X3 gen2 fwiw. Thanks.

Meatwad: I thought you said TV was bad.
Frylock: It is. But we fucking need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by general eclectic
There's a big difference between getting trashed and disappearing.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2016-05-29, 01:01 AM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

Re: FiiO Portable Music Players?

They look good and sound good. You using rockbox on the clip? Reminds me a lot of that. I don't own a Fiio yet, but I played with one quite a few times now. Took my sdhc out of my sandisk e280 running rockbox and put it in the X5 they have on demo at the store by my house. I ask them for a bib to catch my drool when I go look at it now! haha. One day...

So, yeah, I'm a fan. Get one!
Old 2016-05-30, 03:53 AM
491.13 GB/783.96 GB/1.60

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustthex View Post
Anyone have one of these? Thoughts? Recommendations?

http://fiio.net/en/products
Just checked the blurb on the units on the site. These seem sweet but one drawback is the size of the storage. Between 128 and 256 is piss poor IMHO.
Old 2016-05-30, 12:45 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
Just checked the blurb on the units on the site. These seem sweet but one drawback is the size of the storage. Between 128 and 256 is piss poor IMHO.
I see interchangeable 128gb micro SDs as a ton of space... Your average 16/44 show weighs in at 300-600mb, 24/48 shows are closer to 1-1.5gb. That is roughly 100-120 shows per card minimum. I'm fitting 30+ shows & a ton of mp3s on a 16gb in my sandisk now. Either way, it's more than I could listen to in several roadtrips.

AA- glad to hear you have see one. What do you think of build quality? I do not have my sandisk clip+ rockboxed, I will look into that. Thanks!

Quote:
Old 2016-05-30, 04:14 PM
Recording/Mastering Engineer
775.22 GB/3.83 TB/5.05

They've got an X1 and an X5 on display. Both pretty solid and chunky with metal-like parts that look like they wouldn't want to get dropped very much. I wish I could afford one because I would get one in a heartbeat!

And, I agree with the assessment of storage size - that is enough, if not, fill more cards and bring them along! one of those two models had 2 card slots for double the memory access. It's very easy to drag and drop new and different files onto the thing like an external harddrive if you're bored of what you've got on there...
Old 2016-05-30, 05:21 PM
Trainwreckin' Fool
615.69 GB/3.17 TB/5.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audioarchivist View Post
They've got an X1 and an X5 on display. Both pretty solid and chunky with metal-like parts that look like they wouldn't want to get dropped very much. I wish I could afford one because I would get one in a heartbeat!

And, I agree with the assessment of storage size - that is enough, if not, fill more cards and bring them along! one of those two models had 2 card slots for double the memory access. It's very easy to drag and drop new and different files onto the thing like an external harddrive if you're bored of what you've got on there...
Ok. Sounds like good build quality. I found a thread on ts & read that as well. X5 = dual memory card slots, which may be overkill to me. However, I want one & may need one as I just discovered my rockboxed ipod gen3 20gb just bit the dust. Or needs a battery & drive replacement at least.

Quote:
Old 2016-05-30, 06:35 PM
Trader since 1980
2.00 TB/1.46 TB/0.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonebloke View Post
... but the storage is all on Micro SD cards. The X3 has no storage of its own.

Take a small carrying case with extra Micro SD cards, and you can justifiably say it has limitless storage. I have a credit-card sized card store that fits in my wallet, and takes 8 cards. Add the one in the machine, and that's 9x128 = 1152Gb

The interface is great, the sound is great, the only concern I have, if I'm being REALLY picky is that the click-wheel doesn't have the finely-engineered feel of an iPod Classic; but it still works fine.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble