The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2010-10-16, 10:31 PM
115.82 GB/65.22 GB/0.56

Volume difference on burned dvd and original folder

Hi,

I downloaded this dvd from another tracker a few weeks ago and I burned it a few hours ago with Nero. When I played it on my dvd standalone, it plays fine but the audio is amazingly low. I played the dvd and the original folder on VLC at 30% of volume and the audio is perfect. I went to a different dvd standalone player and low volume was present as well.

I burned it again with ImgBurn and got the same results...

Does this has an explanation at all? My volume settings in my computer aren't loud at all, on the contrary, it's at a low volume since I use good headphones.
Old 2010-10-16, 10:55 PM
304.10 GB/469.31 GB/1.54

Re: Volume difference on burned dvd and original folder

Have you checked the audio levels of the files in an editing program?

Also, check the general audio settings in VLC, perhaps you have normalization
turned on, or the volume setting turned up over 100%........
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2010-10-17, 09:35 AM
197.33 GB/287.44 GB/1.46

Check the audio setting in your standalone also. Switch to stereo, if not set there.
Old 2010-10-17, 12:33 PM
115.82 GB/65.22 GB/0.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtaper View Post
Have you checked the audio levels of the files in an editing program?

Also, check the general audio settings in VLC, perhaps you have normalization
turned on, or the volume setting turned up over 100%........
VLC audio settings checked, no normalization turned on and my volume setting is 30%

As for an editing program, I don't have any. I used to have Sony Vegas but it's not working anymore for some reason. Which would you recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
Check the audio setting in your standalone also. Switch to stereo, if not set there.
Both standalones have the stereo option and seem ok, I've been playing another set of dvds I recently downloaded and they play fine both audio and video.
Old 2010-10-17, 11:07 PM
115.82 GB/65.22 GB/0.56

oh yeah, and I was wondering if I could boost up the volume of the dvd without re-encoding it.

thanks
Old 2010-10-18, 02:13 AM
172.31 GB/208.97 GB/1.21

TMPGEnc Authoring Works does that, but you can also extract the audio with something like DGIndex, import the audio in Audacity (if the audio is AC3 you will need to download FFMpeg library), after you made the adjustments you can replace the audio file from the DVD using VobBlanker (Tutorial how to replace the audio).
Old 2010-10-18, 07:31 AM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

how much do you have to turn up your tv or stereo to achieve listenable volume? trader material tends to be raw, not brickwalled, and the best way to make it louder is to turn up the volume, not mess with the audio.

if the dvd has AC-3 audio, you'll have to decode it to LPCM, then edit, and then leave it as LPCM if you want to keep the same quality. then you might need a dvd9 to burn it because of the increase in size (or split it to two dvd5s).

Last edited by sysoverload; 2010-10-18 at 07:39 AM.
Old 2010-10-18, 11:58 AM
115.82 GB/65.22 GB/0.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_them_all1000 View Post
TMPGEnc Authoring Works does that, but you can also extract the audio with something like DGIndex, import the audio in Audacity (if the audio is AC3 you will need to download FFMpeg library), after you made the adjustments you can replace the audio file from the DVD using VobBlanker (Tutorial how to replace the audio).
Instead of Audacity, could I use Adobe Audition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoverload View Post
how much do you have to turn up your tv or stereo to achieve listenable volume? trader material tends to be raw, not brickwalled, and the best way to make it louder is to turn up the volume, not mess with the audio.

if the dvd has AC-3 audio, you'll have to decode it to LPCM, then edit, and then leave it as LPCM if you want to keep the same quality. then you might need a dvd9 to burn it because of the increase in size (or split it to two dvd5s).
All the volume, literally. And it's this hiss and the gig sounds very quiet. After leave it to LPCM, would I have to burn it in a dvd9 even if the original size is roughly 2gb?
Old 2010-10-18, 01:19 PM
197.33 GB/287.44 GB/1.46

Have you played the burned disk back through the pc?
Old 2010-10-18, 04:49 PM
3.75 GB/4.22 MB/0.00

if you're having no problem with the sound when played on your PC, then the audio levels are fine. no need to demux/normalize/remux/reauthor or anything.

what kind of audio does the disc have? drop one of the big VOBs into GSpot

but if you have the volume all the way up and just barely hear it, it sounds like the tape monitor might be on, on a receiver, or the right input isn't selected somewhere. but turn the volume way down (to almost off) when cycling through inputs
Old 2010-10-18, 05:57 PM
115.82 GB/65.22 GB/0.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoner View Post
Have you played the burned disk back through the pc?
Yes, I did it again today and I noticed something... I'm getting 95% of the audio on the left channel. I checked it at a mate's place since he's got this cool stereo and yeah, same happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysoverload View Post
if you're having no problem with the sound when played on your PC, then the audio levels are fine. no need to demux/normalize/remux/reauthor or anything.

what kind of audio does the disc have? drop one of the big VOBs into GSpot

but if you have the volume all the way up and just barely hear it, it sounds like the tape monitor might be on, on a receiver, or the right input isn't selected somewhere. but turn the volume way down (to almost off) when cycling through inputs
Correct, end of mystery. I didn't even noticed but my left speaker on my living room's audio system is nearly dead.

So, to summarize, if I play the dvd in a regular tv, because of the tv speakers (I guess), I have to turn the volume all the way up in order to hear just a wee bit of the audio. If I play it in a tv that's connected to an audio system (with both speakers working) then there's no problem at all.

Thanks so much for your help y'all
Old 2010-12-05, 12:29 PM
64.08 GB/64.84 GB/1.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside02 View Post
Hi,

I downloaded this dvd from another tracker a few weeks ago and I burned it a few hours ago with Nero. When I played it on my dvd standalone, it plays fine but the audio is amazingly low. I played the dvd and the original folder on VLC at 30% of volume and the audio is perfect. I went to a different dvd standalone player and low volume was present as well.

I burned it again with ImgBurn and got the same results...

Does this has an explanation at all? My volume settings in my computer aren't loud at all, on the contrary, it's at a low volume since I use good headphones.
when you burned with Nero , Did you do it with Nero Burning ROM??...
Burning Rom doesn't edit the original folder.... they are often two or more different audio tracks at dvd's...AC3 (Dolby Digital) sounds lower than others...On TV look for audio tracks and choose Stereo...normally is higher volume....
Salud.
Old 2010-12-07, 10:22 AM
Too Big To Fail
47.12 GB/66.63 GB/1.41

My guess is the DVD audio is encoded in a format that is not supported by your stereo receiver??? Maybe it's DTS or something like that and your computer can handle it and the stereo can't.

Do you get distortion and unusual sounds or just really low volume?

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble