The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-05-21, 09:19 AM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Question About Upgrading CPU's Memory

OK, here’s a question for you guys. I’m running a Dell Dimension 4600 with 2.66 GHz Pentium 4 processor and 512 megs of RAM. It really is a pretty fast computer. I am thinking, however, of adding another 512 megs of RAM at a cost of $160. This is not to increase my DL speeds as I know it won’t do that. Rather, I am thinking that it should improve the performance of my PC when I am downloading 2, sometimes 3, shows, and trying to run other applications (or simply just using the computer for any purpose – obviously it should increase the machine’s performance regardless of what I’m doing with it) . My wife complains that the computer is slow when I am downloading shows and she is correct. Anyone ever done this? How did it work out?

Also, I would be interested to know the cheapest place to buy memory. Looking at Dell’s website, Best Buy, and CDW, it seems like Dell is the cheapest. Anyone ever bought memory and know of a good place to get it?

Thanks.

Curious,
Rob
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-05-21, 09:42 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Re: Question About Upgrading CPU's Memory

Yes, it should help out with "computer lag"...i've never upgraded a PC but i have on Macs and it definitely helps with multitasking.

I bought my last chips at Mac Mall, which also sells RAM for PCs i believe...the deal is you want to buy RAM chips made by a reputable company [and not some no-name knock offs]...i know Kingston and Viking are fairly well respected, but i'm sure there are others...good luck!
Old 2005-05-21, 10:05 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

For memory, try:

www.Crucial.com
www.kingston.com

I can't say anything about the prices, but they are two popular sites for buying memory. They have an easy to use memory selector too, if you're not sure what you have.

...and yes, adding memory "should" help out with your other tasks, BUT it may not be a whole lot. Some clients are processor intensive - which may be part of the reason for your computer running slow. I suggest, if you can afford it, buy the memory. It's almost always good to have more memory. If you're strecthing your budget, get more info, as I can't guarantee you whether the increase will be satisfactory or not.
Old 2005-05-22, 08:18 AM
scottericsonon
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

hey my first post here and i can actually help someone

try www.newegg.com for all your computer up grade needs.......

i USUALLY build 3-4 PCs a year and they get 99% of my business

do you know which TYPE of memory you need??

if not go here http://www.cpuid.org/cpuz.php

when you run that program (its free) click on the "memory"tab and it will list the TYPE of memory you currently have........

just buy the same stuff.........type and speed

any questions please feel free to ask

crucial AND kingston both make EXCELLENT ram

OCZ is another good brand

with RAM to a certian extent you get what you pay for.....however if youre not overclocking and really pushing the envelope any decent brand will perform about the same for you

scott
Old 2005-05-22, 08:45 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

I recently did the same thing - upgraded the memory on a Dell, and can say that (at least in the UK), Dell is NOT the cheapest place to buy RAM.

I can only speak for the UK, but Dell sells Kingston memory - you will see the Kingston product codes on Dell's website.

If you shop around on the Internet, you should be able to find Kingston memory a lot cheaper than Dell's website (the same memory with the same product code). In my case, I paid £40 for a 512MB module, whereas Dell's website was selling it for about £95.

Dave.
Old 2005-05-22, 10:44 AM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Thanks for the posts so far. I looked at Kinsington and Viking before posting. Thanks for the tip to look at Crucial. This is exactly what I need (and you must buy them in pairs -- they're $68 ea. at Dell):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...odelSelection=

Package Type: 184-pin DIMM
Logical Type: 64x64
Speed: PC2700 / 333 MHz
Description: Non-Parity, Unbuffered
Units Required: 2
Install Notes: Installed in pairs of modules. Please order quantity two.
System Type: Desktop/PC

Thanks for the help. I will shop more later today.

Rob
Old 2005-05-22, 10:24 PM
rerem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by rherron
Thanks for the posts so far. I looked at Kinsington and Viking before posting. Thanks for the tip to look at Crucial. This is exactly what I need (and you must buy them in pairs -- they're $68 ea. at Dell):

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/P...odelSelection=

Package Type: 184-pin DIMM
Logical Type: 64x64
Speed: PC2700 / 333 MHz
Description: Non-Parity, Unbuffered
Units Required: 2
Install Notes: Installed in pairs of modules. Please order quantity two.
System Type: Desktop/PC

Thanks for the help. I will shop more later today.

Rob
You have 1 stick of 512mb,you do not need a pair as I doubt you run dual channel Ram on a P4 of that vintage. Are you sure about the PC 2700? You can get youur puter to tell you what your 512 is. New Egg is great,best price,fast shipping-there are even reviews which give useful clues as to what sucks
I often have a high speed DSL fed window or 2 open while making cover art in photo impact and converting flac>wave in dbPower amp,can't do that with auzeris,but with Bit Tornado often have 2 windows running and doing graphics or conversions....and that's with 64 mb of slow old Ram. Get a faster HDD,you have enough RAM unless doing heavy Photoshop and multiple downloads. The difference between a 5400 rpm drive and a 7200 rpm is significant. Ideally you have 2 HDD's,one where your torrents-flacs-waves,live,another where the OS,Software live. One drive is writing your incoming torrents uninterrupted,the other is doing the other stuff,uninterrupted

...also,it is not your CPU's memory. The CPU has a "cache" a built in fast-access memory,and it is relatively a lot smaller and can not be added to. RAM is more like system memory,or the motherboards memory. Adding RAM is rather easy BUT learn abot anti-static precautions. Not handling the typical computer internal parts correctly can do damage. Otherwise,HDD or RAM is easy,15 min stuff.

Last edited by rerem; 2005-05-22 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2005-05-23, 03:48 PM
Columbia, SC
108.77 GB/109.04 GB/1.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerem
You have 1 stick of 512mb,you do not need a pair as I doubt you run dual channel Ram on a P4 of that vintage. Are you sure about the PC 2700? You can get youur puter to tell you what your 512 is. New Egg is great,best price,fast shipping-there are even reviews which give useful clues as to what sucks
I often have a high speed DSL fed window or 2 open while making cover art in photo impact and converting flac>wave in dbPower amp,can't do that with auzeris,but with Bit Tornado often have 2 windows running and doing graphics or conversions....and that's with 64 mb of slow old Ram. Get a faster HDD,you have enough RAM unless doing heavy Photoshop and multiple downloads. The difference between a 5400 rpm drive and a 7200 rpm is significant. Ideally you have 2 HDD's,one where your torrents-flacs-waves,live,another where the OS,Software live. One drive is writing your incoming torrents uninterrupted,the other is doing the other stuff,uninterrupted

...also,it is not your CPU's memory. The CPU has a "cache" a built in fast-access memory,and it is relatively a lot smaller and can not be added to. RAM is more like system memory,or the motherboards memory. Adding RAM is rather easy BUT learn abot anti-static precautions. Not handling the typical computer internal parts correctly can do damage. Otherwise,HDD or RAM is easy,15 min stuff.
I have a pair and I need another pair of 256s (that would be 4 x 256 for a gig). That info I posted is directly from Dell. I typed in the unique service code tag number for my computer and Dell told me exactly what I need to get. Also, it specifically states in the book that came with the computer that memory must be purchased and installed in pairs. Lastly, here is the output from CPU-Z's report of what I have (that's a nifty little program, BTW):

Memory
DRAM Type DDR-SDRAM
DRAM Size 512 MBytes
DRAM Frequency 166.2 MHz
FSB: DRAM 4:5
CAS# Latency 2.5 clocks
RAS# to CAS# 3 clocks
RAS# Precharge 3 clocks
Cycle Time (TRAS) 7 clocks
# of memory modules 2
Module 0 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes
Module 1 Micron Technology DDR-SDRAM PC2700 - 256 MBytes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I think I am going to buy some more memory and get it from Newegg. I can get two Viking 256 meg memory cards for what one costs at Dell. Definitely glad I asked the question.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by rherron; 2005-05-23 at 03:55 PM.
Old 2005-05-23, 04:03 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

I would check and see if you have two available slots before ordering...
and if your complaints are with surfing the internet while downloading that will not get ANY better no matter how fast your computer or ram is. You are likely maxing out your upload and the computer is unable to make confirmations. Adding ram will only have a marginal improvement if you are trying to do two highly memory intensive things like say running three torrents and trying to render video... (which would be a REALLY bad idea). I also doubt you have dual channel ram hence the requirement for two ram at a time... Dell usually doesn't know what they're talking about. Open the case and see if you have the slots avail. and in which manner the ram is placed. This will clue you in whether your mother board suppoorts dual channel ram. GOOD LUCK
Are you getting the your computer is low on virtual memory error? have you checked how much ram you are actually using? Often times people think they need ram and they don't... If you're getting the low on virtual memory error... you're computer is using the hard disc to recover space that isn't available on the ram. If this is the case you need more mem... if you're not I would bet you don't need it.

Last edited by saltman; 2005-05-23 at 04:08 PM.
Old 2005-05-23, 05:37 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

gotta agree with the saltman on this one, I'm wondering what it is that the wife is trying to do with the computer? If your wife is complaining that surfing the net is slow while you are running torrents then I doubt more RAM is the answer, you could just limit the torrent bandwidth usage. Checking memory usage with task manager may help determine whether you need more RAM, I would always recommend using a second HD for torrents preferrably a small one that forces you to move stuff off of it. The wear and tear of constant disc access will fry some drives so why not limit your losses by sacrificing a smaller HD.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-05-24, 07:36 AM
scottericsonon
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

its not dual channel.......some goofy ass type of RAM that DOES have to be run in pairs...........

i had ran into the same trouble with my dads Dell last year when he thought he needed more RAM (and an upgrade to XP)

we shopped around some and i ended up building a new computer for him

i agree with you guys tho....more RAM might not be the answer..........

my guess is that it would be a bandwidth issue if she trying to surf while youre downloading

if the computer just generally runs slow while youre downloading it MIGHT be a RAM issue

part of your troubles might be the fact that you are running in a 5:4 divider

you have VERY good latency numbers on the ram your using now.........id personally kick them up a notch and try to run in 1:1 before id spend any money

the 5:4 divider will slow the RAM down.........and create a bottleneck.....

what version of windows?? ME? or XP?

scott

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble