The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-07-14, 03:16 AM
splattergod
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Icon4 Tape Tracker Uninstall Help Needed

Hello,
It was recommended to me that I try Tape Tracker, to keep track of my shows, but after installing this useless piece of crap, I am unable to uninstall it.
There is no uninstall option included , and none of my Uninstall software can even find this diseased, buggy, piece of junk.

I have been trying, for 3 hours now, to rid myself of this nightmare.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, anyone thinking about installing this garbage, should light one up, and sit back...the urge to do this shall pass, and you will thank me for this advise....
Thanks,
Keith
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-14, 03:28 AM
505.91 GB/533.29 GB/1.05

Re: Tape Tracker Uninstall Help Needed

What OS are you on?

Considering its not a big program that is really important to your system if all else fails you can just delete the directory file, no other programs or apps are going to be looking for it.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-07-14, 03:49 AM
splattergod
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Thanks for the reply,
I'm running Windows XP Corp
Problem is, this piece of crap installed itself twice (one folder embedded in the other) just to make things even worse...
I want this thing off of my system, without having to delete files, registry, etc.
It's hard to believe any even somewhat intelligent programmer would release a piece of unstable crap like this without an uninstall option.
The creater of this virus, disguised as a program should be tossed into a woodchipper....

Last edited by splattergod; 2005-07-14 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 2005-07-14, 04:49 AM
splattergod
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

As a follow up, I have also discovered that this "software" is actually a spyware laden piece of crap.
The creator, ended up changing his company name and is now operating a marketing software company (selling spyware programs to other dirtbags)....
Anyone who has thought about trying this garbage, should steer clear...
BTW, I found out about this software via the B&P instruction link, listed on this site.
I emailed the webmaster of that site, as well, to notify him/her of the aforementioned problems.
Old 2005-07-14, 07:26 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

If it contains spyware, try installing either Ad-Aware or Spybot Search and Destroy (or both, for better cleaning). You can get them here:

Ad-Aware
Spybot S&D

If they don't work post back here, but keep in mind you may then have to manually delete directories and or edit the registry. In a quick search, I was unable to find detailed instructions to manually remove the program. I'll look more in depth if the above programs don't work, but they should, if it's known spyware.

I'll look into the link posted in the B&P.
Old 2005-07-14, 08:32 AM
bolamix
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Hi,
I might be able to shed some light here, having used TapeTracker for a while. AFAIK, it's a very old program, dating back almost to the prehistory of computers (1996 ), some time around the transition from Win3.11 to Win95 if I'm not mistaken. WinXP Corp was a mere thought in a few visionary minds then, and I think that's where the problem lies. However (un)intelligent you think the programmer was, he couldn't foresee you'd be running his program 10 years later on such an advanced OS (compared to Win311).
Anyway, on to the solution (I think). Even though you don't want to, you'll have to manually delete:
- 1 folder, which should be C:\TAPETRAK if you installed it with the default options
- and 1 file, which should be either C:\WINNT\TAPETRAK.INI or C:\WINDOWS\TAPETRAK.INI
I don't know of spyware coming bundled with the program, on my comp at least (running Win2K pro with pretty tight security, spyware-wise). But several spyware infections of legitimate programs have been reported recently, TapeTracker may have been one of them. Once again, the programmer is not at fault, so hold the woodchipper until you get the one who defaced the program

Btw I ended up making a quick & dirty Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my shows, just like most everyone else
Old 2005-07-14, 08:39 AM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

Thanks for the info bolamix. I was just about to go do some research. You saved me some valuable time.

It could be too, that Tape Tracker is not responsible for bringing in the spyware, but instead some other program or a site visited.

Oh, and if it's that old, you probably don't have to worry about deleting registry keys.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble