The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-04-13, 12:32 AM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

what to do with a 48kHz show?

When checking for SBEs two shows came up with cxx (I think that's what it said, it's on my computer upstairs) which I looked up and found to be "not CD quality". So I converted a couple tracks to wav to analyze them in AnalFreq and EAC and both told me they weren't 44.1, that they were 48kHz.

So... what should I do?

Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-04-13, 03:18 AM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: what to do with a 48kHz show?

ummm, keep the 48 kHz files archived on media... then resample (48>44.1 kHz) the audio and burn audio cds for yourself if you so desire...?

btw, if you use Nero (i know, you have a Mac, but i thought i read before you have a PC as well... but i could be, and probably am, wrong on that), you can do the simple drag & drop of the WAV files in the Audio CD compilation window, and it automatically resamples to 44.1 kHz. of course, if you used WavLab or some similar type program, i'm sure the results would be better... but if you're just looking for a quick and dirty way to get the audio on cd for yourself only on a commute to work, i find the Nero resampling *acceptable* in that type of circumstance.
Old 2005-04-13, 05:36 AM
GL - elitist - hoarder -
27.95 GB/50.69 GB/1.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_vargas
ummm, keep the 48 kHz files archived on media... then resample (48>44.1 kHz) the audio and burn audio cds for yourself if you so desire...?

btw, if you use Nero (i know, you have a Mac, but i thought i read before you have a PC as well... but i could be, and probably am, wrong on that), you can do the simple drag & drop of the WAV files in the Audio CD compilation window, and it automatically resamples to 44.1 kHz. of course, if you used WavLab or some similar type program, i'm sure the results would be better... but if you're just looking for a quick and dirty way to get the audio on cd for yourself only on a commute to work, i find the Nero resampling *acceptable* in that type of circumstance.
Ditto.

You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
(F. Nietzsche)
Old 2005-04-13, 09:01 AM
1.10 GB/55.00 GB/50.17

or keep the 48 khz files and make a DVD-A from it.
Old 2005-04-13, 09:48 AM
89.39 GB/113.04 GB/1.26

SRCdrop is a simple drag-and-drop program for very high quality resampling of WAV files (ie better than a lot of those built-in automatic resamplers). Right-click on the box to bring up a menu in which you can select resampling options. Drop WAV files (singly or in groups) from Windows Explorer onto the box to create resampled copies (it won't delete the originals unless you tell it to).

(Using the "best" settings, speed is pretty reasonable on my Pentium 4.)

Free, high-quality, and simple to use!
Old 2005-04-13, 02:11 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Thanks everyone!

I'd kind of rather not save the 48kHz since it's just seems problematic, but I archive everything. What are your opinions on converting using something like WavLab or SRCdrop and losing the 48kHz files? Also, do Cool Edit Pro and Audition do conversions as well? I have both of those somewhere, I've just never cracked them open.

And yes, h_, I have both Mac and PC. My Mac is supposed to be for work only but somehow I seem to keep spilling music over onto it. Don't know how that happens.

Old 2005-04-13, 02:29 PM
Shareblue Platinum Member
471.23 GB/591.81 GB/1.26

audition and CEP are the same software.. and yes they do the conversions.
48kHz are great for DVDs...
Old 2005-04-13, 06:41 PM
Critical Darling
381.92 GB/790.97 GB/2.07

Quote:
[
I'd kind of rather not save the 48kHz since it's just seems problematic
It's really not that problematic and once you figure out the best way to resample for your needs, you can easily do it in the future if you need to reburn as audio or reburn audio discs for someone else. If you preserve the 48kHz files, you'll always have them for the future, e.g. burning DVDs, listening through a PC, etc.

By the way, it's so nice to see such nice responses here.
Old 2005-04-13, 07:52 PM
189.30 GB/594.78 GB/3.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
Thanks everyone!

I'd kind of rather not save the 48kHz since it's just seems problematic, but I archive everything. What are your opinions on converting using something like WavLab or SRCdrop and losing the 48kHz files? Also, do Cool Edit Pro and Audition do conversions as well? I have both of those somewhere, I've just never cracked them open.

And yes, h_, I have both Mac and PC. My Mac is supposed to be for work only but somehow I seem to keep spilling music over onto it. Don't know how that happens.
Yeah, you can use CEP/Audition to resample, I think it's in the edit menu "change sample format"... the default quality is 150, set it to max (999) then listen carefully to the results. You don't get something for nothing...

thetradersden.org | ttd recommended free software/freeware webring
shntool tlh eac foobar2000 spek audacity cdwave vlc

Quote:
Originally posted by oxymoron
Here you are in a place of permanent madness, be careful!
Old 2005-04-14, 12:17 AM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

DoIFeelLucky - thanks for that link. i'll take a look at that program in a bit. i only use Nero in those situations where i'm simply making a quick "for my ears only" copy. if i'm going to go to the trouble of making a nice audio set and doing any tweaking i want, then i open up Audition and/or WavLab and get to work.

feralicious - KEEP the 48 kHz files!!! seriously, with DVD authoring programs on the rise, and even in existence now, it's very cool to have the audio virtually untouched and burned directly to DVD... and having several shows on a single disc without having to change the disc rules.
Old 2005-04-15, 09:50 PM
uhclem
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by feralicious
I'd kind of rather not save the 48kHz since it's just seems problematic, but I archive everything.
If you archive everything definitely keep the 48kHz files. As was stated above there's nothing problematic about it. It's no different from archiving 44.1kHz files. The only reason to downsample to 44.1kHz would be to burn to an audio CD. If you plan to burn more audio CDs later on you can just downsample again which isn't all that difficult. Don't forget to fix the SBEs on your downsampled wave files before burning to audio CD.
Old 2005-04-16, 12:49 PM
dare to discover
63.44 GB/133.91 GB/2.11

Okay boys, I'm keeping the 48kHz files! Whee!!!

Old 2006-10-18, 08:19 PM
Blood sugar rollercoaster
28.32 GB/151.25 GB/5.34

I am using this program SRCdrop right now and I think it's ridiculously simple and is working so well. Thanks much!

The link you posted is expired, feel free to use this one: SRCdrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoIFeelLucky
SRCdrop is a simple drag-and-drop program for very high quality resampling of WAV files (ie better than a lot of those built-in automatic resamplers). Right-click on the box to bring up a menu in which you can select resampling options. Drop WAV files (singly or in groups) from Windows Explorer onto the box to create resampled copies (it won't delete the originals unless you tell it to).

(Using the "best" settings, speed is pretty reasonable on my Pentium 4.)

Free, high-quality, and simple to use!
Old 2006-10-18, 09:44 PM
389.80 GB/861.27 GB/2.21

DVD-Audiofile

Quote:
This is a free Windows GUI, based on the open source project above, developed by Scott Brown. At this point in time, it is at version 0.42. You must have java runtime installed for this to work. This program will create an ISO file of a DVD-Audio disc, which you can then burn with Nero, DVD Decryptor, or any other burning program. This program will create the DVD-Audio ISO from either WAV files or FLAC files. This software is likely to be updated often. You can download the program right here. This free program works great, and is definitely recommended.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble