The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-06-30, 04:12 PM
webbmaster
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Converting SVCD > DVD

I have 4 SVCD's (4 CD-Rs) that I would like to put on two DVDs.

Any help on trying to do this is much appreciated.

Each of the CDs have 4 folders in it: EXT; MPEG2; Segment: SVCD.

The SVCD folder has 4 files within it: ENTRIES.SVD; INFO.SVD; SEARCH; and TRACKS.SVD

Not sure exatly what software to use or if it can be done.

Thanks
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-30, 04:19 PM
60.99 GB/391.09 GB/6.41

Re: Converting SVCD > DVD

I found a guide at http://www.doom9.net/ but i couldn't make a direct link. It's called "VCD and SVCD on DVD-Rs"

Some more guides:
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?...or+List+Guides
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-06-30, 10:38 PM
89.39 GB/113.04 GB/1.26

I think this is the Doom9 article mentioned above. That site is a great resource for anything video-related.
Old 2005-06-30, 10:56 PM
You are TOO
2.08 GB/7.38 GB/3.55

webbmaster - Please be aware that you will not be able to seed that here as per the Video BitTorrent Seeding Policy located in the FAQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video BitTorrent Seeding Policy
9. Only DVDs produced as DVDs may be seeded here.
No DVDs will be allowed to be seeded here with conversions from lesser quality video (ie. VCD/SVCD/DivX/xvid/etc converted to DVD). Converting a lesser quality video to DVD does not make the quality of the video any better, and is therefore pointless. It is equivilent to creating a flac fileset from mp3s simply because the flac format came around and is better than all others. None of the above mentioned video codecs are up to par with The Trader's Den Video BT Seeding Guidelines, and therefore, will not be allowed on the tracker.
Old 2005-06-30, 11:29 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You should be able to put them all on one DVD. TMPGEnc DVD author seems to be the most convenient for what you want to do. Author a DVD consiting of just the 4 mpg files, one from each disc. That way, you won't need to re-encode the DVD. Even though it's a not the typical resolution, you should still be able to play it.
Old 2005-07-01, 02:32 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Homebrew
You should be able to put them all on one DVD. TMPGEnc DVD author seems to be the most convenient for what you want to do. Author a DVD consiting of just the 4 mpg files, one from each disc. That way, you won't need to re-encode the DVD. Even though it's a not the typical resolution, you should still be able to play it.
NTSC DVDs can have a resolution of 352x240, 352x480, 704x480 or 720x480. PAL DVDs are the same, but with a vertical resolution of 288 or 576.

NTSC SVCDs are always 480x480, and PAL SVCDs are 480x576.

As New Homebrew says, a lot of authoring software will allow you to put non-standard resolution MPEG files on a DVD - but not all DVD players will play them without problems. But most probably will.

However, it seems strange that a 352x480 resolution DVD would be allowed on TTD, but not a 480x480 SVCD.

Similarly, it's possible to put standard VCD resolution MPEG-1 video streams on a DVD without re-encoding.

Dave.
Old 2005-07-01, 03:56 AM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4candles
However, it seems strange that a 352x480 resolution DVD would be allowed on TTD, but not a 480x480 SVCD.
It is kind of an anomaly, but I hope everyone is converting their stuff at full DV resolution anyway. One difference I can think of is that SVCD bitrate is very low, around 1000kb/s, and the audio more compressed and even lower bitrate than ac3 minimum.
Old 2005-07-01, 04:26 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Homebrew
It is kind of an anomaly, but I hope everyone is converting their stuff at full DV resolution anyway. One difference I can think of is that SVCD bitrate is very low, around 1000kb/s, and the audio more compressed and even lower bitrate than ac3 minimum.
SVCDs are VBR, and can be up to around 2.6Mbit/s. VCDs are CBR at 1150Kbit/s.

Some of the poort quality commercial digital TV channels in Europe (e.g. the MTV network) broadcast channels which are very similar to SVCD specs - about 2.5Mbit/s and 544x576 resolution with 192kbps MP2 audio.

However, I agree with the "DVD only" rule on TTD - it's not a perfect rule, but it's a good generalisation. But if you're looking for "DVD-quality" footage, then don't dismiss any SVCDs you see - they could be just as good, if not better than some DVD sources.

The audio is obviously an exception - only DVDs can hold uncompressed PCM.

But poor quality audio is also possible on DVDs - either from a poor source or from encoding to (e.g.) 128kbps AC-3 or MP2.

Dave.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble