The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble

Notices

Technobabble Post your general Need for Help questions here.
Lossy or Lossless?
Moderators

Old 2005-03-11, 06:54 PM
67.54 GB/109.05 GB/1.61

Re: Authoring DVD video with 24bit audio

I am rendering in vegas, and you're right, I did include the audio stream, because that is the 24bit file I imported into vegas and synched up with the video. But as soon as I selected "DVD NTSC' as the format in render window options, it said that it would encode the audio to mpeg1 layer ii, which is not 24bit pcm wav.. I see what you are saying, maybe an external rendering program would give me those options?

The dvd format supports 24bit pcm wav, so i don't see why it should be an issue.. I will try looking for another rendering program i guess. thanks.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-03-11, 08:22 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

You don't need another rendering program. Render separate audio and video streams.

1) render mpeg-2 video stream with no audio, also take the time to review all the options for bitrate and quality when you render

2) render a wav audio stream

They will be in synch if they have the same start point. Then plug these 2 items into a dvd authoring program.
Old 2005-03-12, 07:40 AM
67.54 GB/109.05 GB/1.61

thanks! I realized that any of the mpeg encoder/renderers I used gave me the option of selecting pcm audio instead of compressed mpeg, but the resulting product would be a .m2v file instead of .mpg....but the ulead authoring program I use accepts it as an mpeg-compatible file (which I assume it is) - its just a matter of the dvd players' ability to read 24bit audio i think.
Old 2005-03-12, 05:01 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

an .M2V file *IS* the DVD-compliant standard MPEG video stream. the files with extensions .MPG generally are called "program streams" which means it has the audio and video muxed together (and usually it means the audio will be in MPEG compression as well - BAD idea!).

quick question, was the source audio for the DVD originally recorded at 24-bit? if not (i.e. if it was recorded at 16-bit, then you upsampled it to 24-bit), then there really is no difference in the quality... upsampling will not make an audio source sound better, because those extra bits weren't there to begin with. i say this just to point out that if the source audio is 16-bit, stick with it. no use in making the audio a larger file size for no increase in quality.
Old 2005-03-12, 05:29 PM
67.54 GB/109.05 GB/1.61

I think I have figured out how to do it with dvd architect. I've exported the video seperately from vegas, after aligning with the audio track...and yes, I made the recording in 24bit/48khz, so I am just using my original .wavs - at least that's what i've been hoping to do!
Old 2005-03-13, 11:08 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by headygouda
I think I have figured out how to do it with dvd architect. I've exported the video seperately from vegas, after aligning with the audio track...and yes, I made the recording in 24bit/48khz, so I am just using my original .wavs - at least that's what i've been hoping to do!
excellent - good to hear both (1) you figured out how to export the WAV file by itself from vegas, and (2) that the original sources are 24-bit. rock on.
Old 2005-03-30, 05:01 PM
I'm down here for your soul
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Arrow Problems Creating A Mixed DVD

I know this question may have been asked a million times but I'm new to DVD authoring.

I'm trying to take 2 short concerts from 2 DVDs and put them onto 1 DVD.

I've extracted each of them using DVD Shrink. Then I demuxed each of them using Rejig, giving me a .M2V and a .AC3 file for each concert.

Using TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 I imported the first concert into the project with no problems. But when I tried to add the second .M2V file into the project I received the following message:

"This is an illegal video file.
For DVD-Video you can only use the following video formats:
MPEG-1 Video, MPEG-2 Video"

Maybe I'm wrong but shouldn't the .M2V file be in the correct format after demuxing with Rejig??? It worked fine for the first concert and I can't figure out why it doesn't work for the second.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and what I can do to rectify this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Dominic
Old 2005-03-30, 06:33 PM
TTD VIP
437.11 GB/10.44 TB/24.45

Re: Problems Creating A Mixed DVD

yeah that doesn't make sence
if the first came out in the right format the second should have too
Old 2005-03-30, 08:23 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

stupid question - have you tried importing the "2nd" concert into TMPG DVD Author *first*? if it imports fine, then i'd say the issue is with TMPG not wanting multiple video files on the same disc... and in which case, maybe there's a "trick" to getting TMPG to accept it, and maybe there isn't a trick.

it's times like those that make me really enjoy a good authoring software... like one that can trim the video (without re-encoding), put multiple videos on the same timeline (again, without re-encoding) and create a sync'd audio track for the multiple video files (again, no encoding, only sewing the audio tracks together as a larger file). mmm, good stuff when you need it!

btw, silentmachine, you are aware of DVDDecrypter and/or SmartRipper, correct? you can do the ripping/demuxing in *one* step (by having either of said programs rip the DVD in Stream processing mode). if not, you should check it out. both of those programs are freeware (magic word).
Old 2005-03-31, 01:33 AM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

"have you tried importing the "2nd" concert into TMPG DVD Author *first*?"
yeah I tried that, no joy

I have DVD Decrypter and SmartRipper, must try them when I get home and see if I have any luck with them, will probably get the same errors.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Thanks
Old 2005-03-31, 04:14 AM
6.36 GB/18.25 GB/2.87

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmachine
Using TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 I imported the first concert into the project with no problems. But when I tried to add the second .M2V file into the project I received the following message:

"This is an illegal video file.
For DVD-Video you can only use the following video formats:
MPEG-1 Video, MPEG-2 Video"
I don't know what formats TMPGEnc DVD Author accepts, but maybe the problem is that it is a non-standard MPEG-2 file - i.e.. not DVD-Video compliant in some way. Some DVD authoring software (and a lot of DVD players) will accept non-standard MPEG files, but not all.

Do you have any programs that will give you detailed information about the .m2v stream, such as resolution, frame rate etc?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that TMPGEnc DVD Author can import either whole VIDEO_TS folders or individual VOB files and use those to author a new DVD. Is it able to do that?

Dave.
Old 2005-03-31, 06:33 AM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Thanks for your reply Dave...

"Do you have any programs that will give you detailed information about the .m2v stream, such as resolution, frame rate etc?"

I don't have any programs like this...can anyone suggest a program???

"I'm sure I've read somewhere that TMPGEnc DVD Author can import either whole VIDEO_TS folders or individual VOB files and use those to author a new DVD. Is it able to do that?"

TMPGEnc DVD Author is able to import whole VIDEO_TS folders, not sure about VOB files, will try that later when I get home. The problem with importing whole VIDEO_TS folders is that it also imports the original menu, as far as I know, and this is not what I want to do.
Old 2005-03-31, 08:32 AM
Fleckhead
41.98 GB/41.62 GB/0.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentmachine
Thanks for your reply Dave...
TMPGEnc DVD Author is able to import whole VIDEO_TS folders, not sure about VOB files, will try that later when I get home. The problem with importing whole VIDEO_TS folders is that it also imports the original menu, as far as I know, and this is not what I want to do.
You can take those out. I've done that before. ie, I took a DVD that was made with a standalone burner and used DVDdecrypter to rip it then opened it up in DVDAuthor and changed the menus. I think DVDAuthor may automatically ignore the menus actually. I just know when I imported the VIDEO_TS folder I didn't have to deal with any menus at all.
My suggestions would be to just rip them to uncompressed mpeg files if you can. I don't see a real need to demux the files. Then just import them into DVDAuthor.
Old 2005-03-31, 09:10 AM
23.34 GB/1.93 GB/0.08

Thanks Jaguaracer!

"My suggestions would be to just rip them to uncompressed mpeg files if you can"

Any suggestions on how to do the above?
Thanks again!
Old 2005-03-31, 12:23 PM
h_vargas
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

all right, if TMPG DVD Author will not import the 2nd video, then it is likely a problem with the file being non-compliant to DVD specs.

if you get ReStream and simply open the .M2V file, it will tell you the resolution, frame rate, etc.

sounds like this 2nd DVD was authored with something like DVDLab - which will accept non-compliant MPEG files and compile them to DVD anyway.

hence, you may want to try out DVDLab for re-authoring the DVD (with both shows).

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Technobabble