The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2005-02-15, 07:15 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

RIP Music Lounge? aka What's the Site Announcement Forum For?

Not to gripe or anything, but some of us don't have the time to log into the Den everyday (multiple times as some do)....shouldn't this forum be used to announce to everyone that the Lounge was being axed out....and perhaps why? Yes, after digging around in the General Forum I found some threads relating to the matter but....

Also a counter comment to U2Lynne mentioning that the Lounge only got a couple posts a day....using that same logic shouldn't forums like "Loops" "Vines" and this very forum be eliminated too? People can just post all that in the General Forum if a lack of posts is reason enough for deleting a forum.

What actually boggles my mind is that the Den was set up for the exchange of music/and music related discussion....and the music forum gets the axe. I find that to be true irony, or an indication of just how much interest the participants here actually have in music discussion.

Suggestion #1? I've noticed it's possible to PM to more than one person with the same message,...why not make it possible to post a thread to more than one forum (by the thread creator only)?...any follow-up posts would follow the rules set by the thread creator. That way if someone is worried that no one will read their thread in the appropiate forum they can cross it over the the general forum.

Suggestion #2? Delete all the forums and only leave the General. (I'm serious!...sortta) If I follow some of the comments correctly on the deletion of the Music Lounge, a large number of people don't care to flip from one forum to another so I think it should be made easy for everyone to just have one forum to go to. Later on if the need arises you can create different forums,

Realizing I'm a small voice in the crowd (i.e., not a post whore ) my opinion shouldn't hold much sway, but if you plan on getting any significant size to the Den, having everything lumped into one forum only because people are too lazy or don't have the etiquette to post in a more appropriate forum might not be bad now, but later with more users...could lead to confusion or frustration as they try to find a post from "just a couple days ago" afterall, wasn't lazy programming what lead to the whole Y2K problem.

Anyways...still love y'all...just doing a sanity check. Feel free to bash me
Old 2005-02-15, 07:35 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Re: RIP Music Lounge? aka What's the Site Announcement Forum For?

Bring the music section back.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2005-02-15, 08:33 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

I liked the Piano Lounge, wish it had gotten more posts and stayed alive...
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.
Old 2005-02-15, 09:30 PM
1.13 TB/1.70 TB/1.51

I was one who would post in the Piano Bar occasionally and although I see having it and taking it away as being backassward I also understand the problem with not enough traffic to warrant keeping it. That being said I am sure that if the traffic picks up the forums could be split again.

Quote:
Originally posted by frankenberry
anybody else who decides to call me a fuckhead troll newbie (you know who you are) should be made to listen to phish bootleg taped by a '73 led zeppelin taper
Old 2005-02-16, 07:26 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

These were merged because there really only were very few posts in there. In fact, there are more posts right here in this thread then there are daily in that forum. I thought it was a great idea, but the fact is that there was very little actual musical discussion going on in there, and we just didn't see keeping it separate.

Nothing turns a newbie off more than entering a new forum and seeing only 1 new thread every few days. If discussions on musical topics picks up in GD, then we'll certainly want to move it to it's own forum.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-02-16, 07:27 AM
Renegade Geek
10.20 GB/20.72 GB/2.03

By the way, the vines section is already being discussed. This one is really not getting much traffic either.
What's never been,
At the ending of life and the coming of death,
Pass not through its gates but into the dark.
Old 2005-02-16, 01:14 PM
New Homebrew
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDawg
Nothing turns a newbie off more than entering a new forum and seeing only 1 new thread every few days. If discussions on musical topics picks up in GD, then we'll certainly want to move it to it's own forum.
I think it's a turn off to people who are serious about music to see a site like this without a music section.
Old 2005-02-16, 01:25 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Maybe what we need to do is bring it back but with a more defined purpose. Like 'discussion of your favorite bands, tours, songs, and lyrics go on here'.

It seems that many people were confused about the purpose of The Piano Bar and that was part of the reason it wasn't being used.

Old 2005-02-16, 01:42 PM
923.61 MB/96.22 MB/0.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
Maybe what we need to do is bring it back but with a more defined purpose. Like 'discussion of your favorite bands, tours, songs, and lyrics go on here'.

It seems that many people were confused about the purpose of The Piano Bar and that was part of the reason it wasn't being used.
Or possibly that people assumed that it was, like GD, simply full of vapid discussion ?

A vote to re-create the music forum.
Old 2005-02-16, 01:46 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Go ahead and post a Poll in The Lounge and see what people think of bringing back The Piano Bar. But, like I said, you might want to include a statement that it have a more defined purpose.

Old 2005-02-16, 01:49 PM
toys
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I think if more of the musical discussion threads that were in General Discussion had been moved to the Piano Lounge it would have helped. Piano Lounge wasn't getting much action, but it wasn't cuz of no musical discussion, it was cuz we spuds were too lazy to post our musical threads in the proper place.

For instance, all the threads on music festivals (Bonnaroo, Langerado, Wakarusa) could be moved there, as well as Musical Alphabet, Jukebox... just those alone would give the reinstated Piano Lounge more traffic.
Old 2005-02-16, 03:40 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
For instance, all the threads on music festivals (Bonnaroo, Langerado, Wakarusa) could be moved there, as well as Musical Alphabet, Jukebox... just those alone would give the reinstated Piano Lounge more traffic.
I doubt either of those threads would have lived if they were in the Piano Lounge. If the Lounge comes back, I would want to post my thread in whichever forum would get the most response. I think part of the complaint was people having their threads moved.
I don't know if it is possible, but it would be nice if a peripherally music related thread could be allowed to exist in both Forums with updates showing up in both. Not sure that works but it's a suggestion.
Old 2005-02-16, 04:36 PM
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I'd also like to point out the success that phishhook.com has had with one forum:
http://www.phishhook.com/board/index.php
Not that I want this to become a phishhook.com kind of site.
Old 2005-02-16, 04:47 PM
What'cha Got There?
208.73 GB/1.99 TB/9.77

Well,...I never said in my original post whether I thought the Music Lounge should come back. Ok, my personal opinion is that it should, and that the Mods should move any musical related disscussion in the General Forum over.....(the only way to properly train a bad dog is with a newspaper over the nose as far as I'm concerned...and if that doesnt' work a shotgun with rocksalt does the job). If people want to complain about a thread being moved then so be it and they can leave, but if your users aren't trained/educated properly then what use is having seperate forums? Sure GENERIC covers a lot of ground, but if there's a proper forum for a thread I say a Mod should move it. I'm sure this opinion doesn't make me popular with Lynne and the others as it's a ton of extra work....initially...but as people get used to it they tend to police themselves. I'm a usegroup junkie and I see it work all the time...

The points/suggestions I brought up that I'd actually like to hear back on are:
-Why wasn't the fact brought up in this forum that the Music Lounge was being deleted? That's what this forum is for....if the matter had been posted here, and then maybe a short discussion then perhaps some points would've been raised by people who read this forum.....and also then a person wouldn't wonder what the heck happened without wading through all the "stuff" in the General Forum.

-What about my suggestion that a thread creator could opt to have a post appear in more than one forum (and any follow-up posts)? Then if someone was worried that their posts may not get the proper attention, they can always "opt in" the General Forum. I have nooo clue how the programing on this site works so maybe it's a bit NO, but it's a suggestion.
Old 2005-02-16, 04:48 PM
the USA pyro
70.48 GB/56.66 GB/0.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys
I think if more of the musical discussion threads that were in General Discussion had been moved to the Piano Lounge it would have helped. Piano Lounge wasn't getting much action, but it wasn't cuz of no musical discussion, it was cuz we spuds were too lazy to post our musical threads in the proper place.

That's what I was thinking... Of course leaving the ghost threads that redirect to their new location up for a few days too. I think after a while people may have started using it more and more and posting their music threads in there again. And of course if the admins couldn't keep up they could have created temporary mods of some of the bored PW's...
Comments were originally designed as a place to have an open discussion about a torrent, in an easily accessible location, hence on the torrent page. *It was never intended to be a place to show 'gratitude'. *Its purpose was to discuss any issues that might arise from the torrent, give informed opinions about the torrent, notification of any problems with said torrent, ask for different formats, etc.

Then it devolved into this thankfest thing that, while stroking the uploader's ego, is absolutely useless for any real purpose.

This whole 'thanks whoring' thing is a fairly recent phenomenon, and is in fact a bastardization of what the feature was intended for.

Personally, the # of people who download one of my uploads tells me far more about whether or not I did good than any number of 'Thank You!s' ever will.

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions