The Traders' Den  

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions

Notices

Site Announcements & Suggestions This is where you should make your suggestions to us on how to improve your experience here and where to post about site problems/issues.
Moderators

Old 2007-03-03, 05:17 PM
Video Guru
49.89 GB/89.01 GB/1.78

Re: Banned for the wrong reason: JETHRO TULL 1978-10-09 Madison Square Garden, NYC (NTSC)

Looked at the new Rule 9 Lynne & i think that about makes it as square as possible.

However on reading that i did just happen to read something else.... about RULE 10

10. No Reauthored DVDs are allowed.
We do not allow any reauthored DVDs to be seeded. This includes any DVD9>DVD5 reauthors. Please seed the DVDs in the original released form. Once you download the show, you may do what you want to it, but please don't trade/share your reauthored DVDs here.

Re-authoring does not change anything when making a DvD.The mpeg structure stays the same as it was before it was ,if you see what i mean.
You are only building the info of the mpeg solely so that the player knows the score when it goes to play it.
Where all the chapters are etc.
Supposing i get a DvD in a trade & it has 5 minute chapters at incorrect positions and no menu.Well that would be re-authored to put them in,but the content stays the same.

Surely you mean No Transcoding ie :re-compressed like DvD Shrink does...Not Re-authored i feel

K_K

Last edited by KoolKat; 2007-03-03 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes
Old 2007-03-03, 06:33 PM
TTD Staff
0.00 KB/5.71 TB/Inf.

Re: Banned for the wrong reason: JETHRO TULL 1978-10-09 Madison Square Garden, NYC (NTSC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
Supposing i get a DvD in a trade & it has 5 minute chapters at incorrect positions and no menu.Well that would be re-authored to put them in,but the content stays the same.

Surely you mean No Transcoding ie :re-compressed like DvD Shrink does...Not Re-authored i feel

K_K
Yes & no K_K, that one does need some clarification...'re-authoring' that SA you got in a trade, to put a menu/chapter points on it and seed here is ok.

The rule came about because we were questioned as to whether it would be ok to take a show seeded here as a DVD9 to be shrunk/reauthored as DVD5's (for all those poor souls who cant deal with a dual layer ) ...obviously, thats unacceptable.

There has also been issues of people taking someone else's 'authored' work, and re-authoring it because they didnt like the menu or whatever reason, then trying to pass it off as their own.
Seeing as how you can 'reauthor' losslessly.....out of respect to the tapers and authors who release shows specifically, to not have their work 'reauthored' w/o their knowledge or permission.

...thats the intent of the rule
Old 2007-03-03, 09:46 PM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

Might this also pertain to audio? That is, in reagerds to raw master recordings versus "REMASTERS"?

Does this also pertain to the MASTER copies of audio recordings provided by old school analog tapers who made the recordings???

This looks like a step in a positive direction, congratulations for spelling the rule out so clear.

NOW, Will this be reflected in the rules for audio in order to preserve the integrity of raw analog MASTER recordings offered at TTD?
Old 2007-03-03, 10:48 PM
fade on the downbeat
56.75 GB/125.05 GB/2.20

^^^ a valid point
Above all, recognize that everything you know is a flat-out lie or is only relatively true in certain restricted and unpleasant situations. ~ Robert Hunter
Old 2007-03-03, 11:00 PM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Quote:
Originally Posted by freezer
Might this also pertain to audio? That is, in reagerds to raw master recordings versus "REMASTERS"?
We disallow DVD9 to DVD 5 because it is lossy. As pointed out by KoolKat, we used a word that was probably not the best word to describe what we asked for. We will change the wording on that rule. Joe explained the intent of the rule above.

Quote:
Does this also pertain to the MASTER copies of audio recordings provided by old school analog tapers who made the recordings???
We allow people to post bootlegs of shows or even remasters of taped shows. We ask that if someone does a remaster of a show that they state the lineage and also some remastering notes. We don't pull remasters if they do that. Do we think it is good etiquette to ask a taper before someone remasters the show? Yes. But, we can't and don't enforce it.

Quote:
NOW, Will this be reflected in the rules for audio in order to preserve the integrity of raw analog MASTER recordings offered at TTD?
No. As stated, KoolKat pointed out that we used the wrong wording for the rule. We knew our intent, as Joe stated it, but we worded it wrong. We will be rewording this rule to state our intent - that the video not be changed in a lossy way. We don't want audio changed from lossless to lossy to lossless either. But, the way to accomplish this for audio and video is different and they need different written rules.

I think many users have expressed an interest to have the raw recording shared and so many tapers do that (here and on most sites).

Old 2007-03-04, 10:28 AM
TTD VIP
0.00 KB/0.00 KB/---

I see....no preservation of integrity.......for raw audio masters....

So I might as well "REMASTER" my own recordings before releasing same?

Gee, now won't that thwart the efforts of some of the remastering crowd, if I decide to randomly introduce or remove sonic frequency changes into master recordings?

Oh yeah, that's the same thing the remaster crowd already does here quite often.....hmmmm?

Remaster --- Wouldn't that kinda defeat the purpose of using the word integrity?

Maybe this rule should also be re-written (remastered) for clarity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2Lynne
We will change the wording on that rule.
You also might please consider removing the word "integrity" if the preservation aspect of raw master recordings isn't enforced.

Quote:
We have come together to create an online trading site with an entirely new ideology. This site will be geared towards a certain kind of collector: those who feel quality and integrity are important. Our policies will seem demanding to many users, but we have witnessed the decline in overall quality in many other trading circles due to lax restrictions.

We offer a safe haven for traders frustrated with the dilution of quality in the trading pool, as well as our combined experience and devotion to helping new users enter an elite trading community.
^^^

Quote:
Quality is not an option in the seeds here, it will be the standard.

^^^

Oh well, there's a handful of my RAW master recordings already on the way to be shared here.

Are they all "fair game" to have their integrity removed?

Last edited by freezer; 2007-03-04 at 10:34 AM.
Old 2007-03-04, 10:45 AM
TTD Staff
474.39 GB/2.01 TB/4.34

Freezer, what you may want to do is when people torrent your raw recordings, ask them to add something in the text file like "Feel free to spread this show in it's raw form only. The taper has requested that this show not be spread in a remastered form." (I'm sure you can come up with much better verbage than I. ) We do ask that text files get passed on with the show and many people will respect the wishes voiced in the text file.

Old 2007-03-05, 06:55 AM
TTD Staff
1.11 TB/1.41 TB/1.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
Looked at the new Rule 9 Lynne & i think that about makes it as square as possible.

However on reading that i did just happen to read something else.... about RULE 10

10. No Reauthored DVDs are allowed.
We do not allow any reauthored DVDs to be seeded. This includes any DVD9>DVD5 reauthors. Please seed the DVDs in the original released form. Once you download the show, you may do what you want to it, but please don't trade/share your reauthored DVDs here.

Re-authoring does not change anything when making a DvD.The mpeg structure stays the same as it was before it was ,if you see what i mean.
You are only building the info of the mpeg solely so that the player knows the score when it goes to play it.
Where all the chapters are etc.

K_K
just want to clarify for others who might read this, yer correct re: transcoding, however this does occur sometimes when re-authoring if someone doesn't really know what they're are doing...

in layman's terms--there are two ways of re-authoring, one which does not include re-compression [which is what you're describing]...the other way includes re-compressing, and is considered a no-no here...

even when it comes to a SA recording that needs menus/chapters, it can be done either way--all we ask is whoever does the re-author know what they're doing so as not to compress again

if anything, i'm glad this thread is leading to some revisions in our FAQ/Rules...clarifying the wording is always a good thing

The Traders' Den > Where we go to learn ..... > Site Announcements & Suggestions